M.C. Dean is Building Intelligence™. We design, build, operate, and maintain cyber-physical solutions for the nation’s most recognizable mission-critical facilities, secure environments, complex infrastructure, and global enterprises.
Our success relies on great people delivering innovative projects and solutions for Fortune 100 companies and the most recognized agencies in government, defense, and security.
Join our more than 3,600 employees worldwide who engineer and deploy automated, secure and resilient power and technology systems; and deliver the management platforms essential for long-term system sustainability. Together we are creating the integrated systems and technologies that shape the built and cyber-physical world.
We offer an excellent benefits package including:
- A competitive salary
- Medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance
- Paid-time off
- Tuition reimbursement
- 401k Retirement Plan
- Military Reserve pay offset
- Paid maternity leave
The Fire Alarm Technician 1 provides high quality customer support through on-site inspecting, testing, service, and installation and maintenance services of various FA Systems under some supervision.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform testing and inspection of fire alarm systems per NFPA and local code standards, noting existing and potential deficiencies;
- Functionally-test Initiating Devices, Notification Appliances, and all other peripherals and system components;
- Communicate system performance and deficiencies to customers and to account managers for accurate and efficient quoting of recommended repairs;
- Prepare accurate and timely inspection and service reports;
- Perform under supervision mid-size FA system upgrades and installation based on provided drawings and submittals;
- Perform under supervision pre-testing and final inspections for assigned projects;
- Determine materials needed for repairs and order them;
- Develop and maintain relationships with building owners, building managers, and other customer representatives;
- Perform all duties required to successfully complete projects within estimate and according to specifications;
- Respond to service requests, diagnose system malfunctions of fire alarms and adjust, repair or replace equipment as needed to bring into compliance;
- Perform under supervision installation of low voltage systems;
- Perform under supervision PITCO activities;
- Read blueprints and drawings;
- Maintain truck inventory;
- Be on rotation to respond to afterhours service calls as scheduled by supervisor;
- Pursue and maintain industry certifications, as well as grow technical and customer service skills with active support from MCDean.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE OR EQUIVALENT
- MS Office Suite of products
- Basic knowledge of Fire Alarm programming software (Add/Delete devices/Program from keypad etc.)
PHYSICAL AND PERSONAL REQUIREMENTS & OTHER SKILLS
- 4 years of relevant experience or
- 2 years technology degree and 2 years of relevant experience
- High School Diploma (required)
Must have a journeyman electrician license, or meet the ability and proficiency requirements to apply for one, in at least one jurisdiction (DC/VA/MD) in which MC Dean performs work. Minimum proficiency for entry into this position at MC Dean must be no less than 8000 hours in hands-on electrical trade related jobs.
- Lift at least 100 pounds at one time and 60 pounds for an extended period of time;
- Relocate a 12 foot stepladder without assistance;
- Work at various heights up to 60 feet and can climb and maintain balance on scaffolds, aerial lifts, catwalks and all types of ladders;
- Walk, climb, lift, squat, crawl, kneel, push, pull and reach overhead on a routine and repetitive basis.
- Possess good vision (may be corrected vision), the ability to see in color, and the ability to hear and communicate in English.
- May use a standard ladder without exceeding the weight limit while carrying tools;
- Work overtime as directed by supervisor;
- Must be willing to work on M.C. Dean, Inc. projects anywhere;
- Must be able to pass a background check;
- Must be able to pass random drug screening;
- Must have valid driver's license, good driving records to operate a MC Dean vehicle as part of this job requirement;
- Must consistently report to work on time, work well with other employees to accomplish a common goal, and maintain a safe work environment;
- Basic troubleshooting including researching online, system manuals to resolve problems;
- Knowledge of NFPA 72, NEC, Fire Alarm System Theory, OSHA Requirements, and Industry Standards for Fire Alarm systems installation.
- Possess NICET Fire Alarm Systems Level 1 or Pass NICET 1 exam within 60 days of employment
- Above average level of attention to detail and professional work ethic.
- Commitment to excellence and a high quality of work.
- Ability to function in a controlled, effective manner under stress.
- High level of customer service.
- Strong desire to continuously increase your skill set and take on more responsibility.
- Above average communication skills with customers, other field personnel, office staff and sub-contractors