||Brown and Caldwell is the largest engineering firm of its kind—solely focused on the U.S. environmental sector. With offices throughout the country, we have opportunities nationwide to work on some of our most exciting environmental projects.
Senior Energy Expert
||Atlanta, Georgia, Denver, Colorado, Irvine, California, Phoenix, Arizona, Portland, Oregon, Raleigh, North Carolina, Sacramento, California, Saint Paul, Minnesota, San Diego, California, Seattle, Washington, Walnut Creek, California
For more than 70 years, Brown and Caldwell has been creating leading-edge environmental solutions for public agencies and private industry. We strive to be the environmental company of choice—to our clients, who benefit from our passion for delivering exceptional quality, and to our employees, present and future, who share our commitment to client service, collaboration and innovation. Join us, and you will find a home where you can do your best work, reach new levels of expertise and enjoy exceptional development opportunities. As a privately held firm with over 1,500 employee-owners in 50+ offices nationwide, the opportunity awaits for you to advance.
Brown and Caldwell is looking for great people to join our mechanical/energy engineering team. We are seeking two experienced energy and biosolids engineers. This position is one of two exciting new opportunities available. The perfect candidate will be a highly experienced mechanical/energy engineer with a passion for renewable energy, energy optimization, and providing clients with creative technical solutions to their climate change and sustainability concerns. In this role, you will be serving as a leader of our energy staff and helping to expand client relationships, pursuing new work, growing this area of our business, and leading technical work and project delivery. This is an excellent opportunity to join an employee-owned environmental engineering company with a guiding philosophy of providing the “Best Brains” in its approach to developing and implementing cutting-edge environmental solutions. Since 1950, Brown and Caldwell has led the water and wastewater industry in innovative applications of:
- Cogeneration (combined heat and power)
- Biogas fuels in prime movers (engines, gas turbines, etc.)
- Biogas scrubbing (H2S, siloxane, CO2 and moisture removal)
- Gas compression and distribution
- Heat extraction from wastewater effluent using large heat pumps
- Fuel cells
- Waste heat recovery
- Heated- and chilled-water storage
- Utility heating and cooling systems
- Energy audits and optimization
- Energy-efficient solutions to water and wastewater processes
- Dual fuel boilers
The successful candidate can be located in any of our existing locations with a preference for Seattle, Washington; Portland, Oregon; Denver, Colorado; Phoenix, Arizona; Atlanta, Georgia; St. Paul, Minnesota; Raleigh, North Carolina; Irvine, California; Sacramento, California; San Diego, California; or Walnut Creek, California.
- Provide technical expertise on municipal, private-sector and federal water and wastewater projects including conducting energy evaluations and optimization studies and gas scrubbing and compression, cogeneration, boilers and heating, heat extraction from wastewater, heat recovery, power systems and waste-to-energy studies and designs.
- Additional projects also involve leading the design of district heating system development, anaerobic digester enhancements, and designing “carbon positive” wastewater treatment plants
- Support development of energy, water and waste net positive energy solutions
- Provide technical expertise working closely with project managers and client service managers as well as interact with internal project team members and external clients and contractors.
- Use existing broad-based knowledge in the energy field spanning conventional energy technologies to alternative fuels energy services to provide consultation to clients
- Provide leadership for other mechanical/energy engineers
- Lead project teams to ensure successful execution and delivery on energy projects
- Work closely with other energy and biosolids staff to develop new clients, pursue new projects, and grow this area of business
- Work with marketing, project managers, and client service managers to respond to business opportunities including RFPs and participate in presentations and interviews as requested
- Ability to guide implementation of technical solutions for challenging energy recovery applications
- Familiarity with emissions regulations and code requirements applicable to energy recovery solutions
Desired Skills and Experience:
- M.S. in Mechanical Engineering required; PhD preferred
- P.E. required
- Certified Energy Manager (CEM) certification is desirable
- 12+ years of strong technical and business development experience with alternative energy solutions Proven history of working with industrial, federal and municipal clients, leading the design and delivering technical products on time and budget
- Strong technical skills and energy systems understanding and knowledge required, including a strong working knowledge of fundamentals such as heat and mass transfer, thermodynamics, gas phase physics, etc.
- Experience leading energy staff and project teams
- Experience developing and maintaining client relationships
- Previous project management and client service management experience required
- The candidate should also be an excellent communicator who is comfortable presenting his or her ideas to diverse audiences and working both in team and independent work environments
- Ability to serve as an advisor and technical expert in energy approaches, options and alternatives, to internal project managers and client service managers as well as to private, public, and federal sector clients
- Candidate must be willing to mentor and bring along other less experienced staff in the mechanical/energy group
- Strong technical writing skills essential
- Fluency in using Microsoft Office tools essential
Join, Grow, Have Fun
We’re growing and having fun while doing it. Brown and Caldwell provides a comprehensive benefits program and a culture that promotes employee performance and success. We recognize that you are looking for a career path with opportunities to grow personally and professionally. We have a strong focus on employee development and offer defined advancement through our Career Path Framework; tuition reimbursement; honorariums for papers and presentation as well as project management training (BC is a PMI Registered Education Provider). Our work environment promotes a flexible and collaborative culture, an extensive knowledge-sharing infrastructure and more. Our values of working hard and with integrity combined with learning, growing and having fun make Brown and Caldwell your employer of choice.
This position is subject to a pre-employment background check and a pre-employment drug test.
Brown and Caldwell is proud to be an EEO/AAP Employer-Minorities/Women/Disabled/Protected Veterans are encouraged to apply.
Are you a returning applicant?
|Back to Search Results