For more than 70 years, Brown and Caldwell has been creating leading-edge environmental solutions for public agencies and private industry. We strive to be the environmental company of choice—to our clients, who benefit from our passion for delivering exceptional quality, and to our employees, present and future, who share our commitment to client service, collaboration and innovation. Join us, and you will find a home where you can do your best work, reach new levels of expertise and enjoy exceptional development opportunities. As a privately held firm with over 1,500 employee-owners in 50+ offices nationwide, the opportunity awaits for you to advance.
We have an exciting opportunity for a motivated, achievement-oriented individual who can help us fulfill our commitment to deliver client success on each and every project we undertake. This position will provide project engineering, detailed design, and client service involvement on a variety of water resources. Work may include condition assessment, regulatory compliance, permitting for engineering studies, design and construction management for stormwater management facilities, constructed wetlands, and stream restorations. The selected candidate will support current and future projects in the Virginia Beach Area and across the Mid-Atlantic.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for the right candidate to continue to build upon their career, do challenging and meaningful work, and protect the earth’s resources at the same time. If you are looking for an opportunity to work in the environmental arena with the potential to gain new knowledge, skills, and relationships in a collaborative, innovative and supportive environment, let’s talk.
For the right candidate, this position offers the opportunity for significant professional growth and the potential to collaborate with local and national teams. We are looking for candidates who have a passion for building things, meeting new people, desire to learn from seasoned professionals who deliver environmental engineering projects, and desire to train to become a lead project manager for the company. Candidate should be capable of working in a diverse team environment and handle multiple tasks with competing priorities. Successful candidate will have a positive attitude, is flexible and self-motivated, creative and well-organized, and quality-oriented with attention to detail.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Perform engineering work in various engineering aspects with an emphasis on stormwater projects.
- Planning, assessment, detailed design (in AutoCAD with Civil 3D), and construction administration
- Perform calculations, prepare technical drawings, specifications, and reports
- Coordinate and perform field site visits, including coordination with clients/owners, consultants, contractors, designers and regulatory agencies
- Prepare of environmental studies, technical memoranda, reports and electronic deliverables to meet regulatory requirements
- Management of project tasks or entire projects depending on project scope and magnitude.
- Application of technical skills with the ability to articulate ideas and concepts both visually and contextually
- Create and maintain project schedules and other project records
- Support regulatory compliance and permitting
- Coordinate with and lead project delivery team, and collaborate with national team of technical experts
- Association committee involvement
- Expand client base and client relationships
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in civil, environmental or mechanical engineering, or closely related area; Master’s degree preferred but not required
- Minimum of four years of professional related experience
- PE Virginia or ability to obtain within one year (minimum EIT required)
- Experience in stormwater management facilities and stream restoration design or experience with site development stormwater design experience
- AutoCAD skills required, GIS skills a plus, Civil 3D a plus
- Strong design and other technical experience and skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Possess strong verbal/written communication skills
- Organized and focused on scope, budget, and schedule.
- Client focused.
- Candidate should be a self-starter, results-oriented, and enthusiastic
- Able to work effectively in a diverse team environment
- Able to successfully manage and deliver on multiple tasks with competing priorities
- Able to provide consultation in specialized areas, make decisions and solve problems
- Ability to walk field sites of varying size that may have areas of uneven, muddy, and/or rocky ground to perform inspections, collect samples and take photographs.
- Ability to work for short periods of time in extreme temperatures including heat and cold.
- Ability to wear required safety equipment at sites including hard hats, steel toed boots (or other approved toe protection), etc.
- Ability to stand for several hours observing and documenting field conditions
- Ability to lift objects less than 30 pounds