Brown and Caldwell, a full-service, nationally recognized engineering and construction firm, has an opportunity for a Senior Marketing/Proposal Specialist based in our Walnut Creek, California office. We are looking for an individual who thrives in dynamic work environments, and whose enthusiasm, creativity, organization, and winning attitude will contribute to the success of high performance capture teams.
The Northern California Senior Marketing/Proposal Specialist reports directly to and works closely with the Area Marketing Manager to lead strategic competitive pursuits. Working with client service teams, sales leaders, and pursuit teams, this position creates capture plans including winning strategies to overcome competition and obstacles, develops project and pursuit teams, provides design and artistic support, writes strong proposals supported by graphics that identify and resolve client issues, and leads and coaches dynamic interview teams.
• Lead professional, well-planned, and energetic marketing efforts on a variety of pursuits and works with sales leaders, pursuit teams, and graphic artists through all stages of the process. Manage the production of all deliverables associated with these, ensure all required materials are included in submittal packages, and oversee quality control in final production.
• Manages process to create and maintain well-organized, up-to-date qualifications statements, project descriptions and resumes that reflect firm strengths and client benefits. Includes writing, researching, and editing materials
• Use BC’s tools and resources, such as pursuit management assessments (PMA), client account analysis (CAA), and WorkSmart, to track opportunities, client issues, and competition.
• Ensure execution on the basics of BC’s Plan-to-Win™ while developing early messaging and storyboarding based on client intelligence - allowing local pursuit leaders to effectively deliver key messages during positioning ahead of the proposal stage.
• During the proposal stage, work closely with graphic artists and the local pursuit team to refine and convey the message that will resonate with the client and key selection committee members.
• Participate/lead interview development, preparation, and rehearsal including directing graphic artists and coaching the interview team on delivery.
• Participate in daily marketing operations and provide the support required to achieve area and business unit marketing objectives and proposal deadlines.
• Assist and collaborate with other BC marketers and client service managers in the NorCal area and California-Desert Business Unit to provide as-needed support on active and upcoming pursuits, share best-practices and lessons learned, and communicate workloads.
• Review and assess top pursuits regularly with the Area Marketing Manager. Serve as the point of contact for top area pursuits and communicate the status of jobs in progress.
Desired Skills and Experience:
The ideal candidate possesses the following minimum skills, abilities, and experience:
• A professional degree (Communications, English, Journalism or Marketing recommended) with 5+ years of experience in a marketing role (experience within the A/E/C industry or with an environmental consulting firm is a plus).
• Experience as a proposal and interview manager – experience overseeing, coordinating, and performing proposal development including creating strong strategies and messaging, managing resources and teams including graphic artists, sales teams, and technical leaders.
• Ability to lead productive meetings with highly technical teams, set action items and deadlines, and clearly communicate responsibilities that drive projects forward.
• Excellent interpersonal and communications skills with emphasis on persuasive writing, presentation, and interviewing abilities.
• Ability to multi-task, prioritize, and work independently as well as in team environments, often under tight deadline situations.
• Proficient in Microsoft Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Adobe InDesign.
Critical Traits/Skill Sets:
Leader; self-starter; highly organized; energetic; great attention to detail; effective communicator; good listening skills; versatile and resourceful; innovative in approaches to communicating complex technical information; able to prioritize and manage deadlines simultaneously; excellent facilitator and leader with ability to work with large and diverse teams; ability to work with and manage highly technical information.