Advancing technologies and developing relevant solutions at BC is about doing things differently to add value for our clients and our people. There are many types of solutions – BC solutions for the Site Investigation and Remediation/Solid Waste (SI&R/SW) Service Line is the focus of this position. Solution innovation at BC is driven by our client’s greatest needs. It's generally not just about the technology itself but about the innovative applications we build with technology to create competitive differentiation in the marketplace. This position will focus upon SI&R/SW solutions and lead, develop, and communicate (both within BC and with BC’s clients) the ways in which BC differentiates our SI&R/SW services and brand. Solutions integrate technology, regulatory, and business (e.g., contractual and risk management) aspects to allow for a comprehensive solution relevant for our clients’ needs. To achieve this, the SI&R/SW Technology/Solution Leader will leverage, engage, and report to BC’s Private Sector Enterprise (PSE) SI&R/SW Service Line Director. In addition, the Technology/Solution Leader will leverage and engage our PSE Executive Leader, PSE Technology Leadership Group (TLG), BC’s Technology Council, BC’s Client Service Teams (CSTs), Market Sector and Service Line Directors, and BC’s Chief Technical Officer. This position will integrate solutions from an SI&R/SW perspective with other Service Lines within the PSE, One Water Initiative Leadership, advanced treatment and hydrogeology subject matter experts, Municipal Leadership and other SI&R/SW industry/academic/technology leaders outside BC. The overarching goal of this effort would be to develop and to assist others in the development of creative solutions to client problems with the objective of having our clients choose BC because of the relevant solutions we deliver and our recognized leadership in delivering these solutions.
The Technology/Solution Leader will be highly flexible and adaptable to create sustainable value and business growth for the SI&R/SW Service Line by coordinating and facilitating BC’s holistic, multi-disciplinary approach to advancing technologies and overall relevant solutions for our clients. The Technology/Solution Leader’s primary role will be delivery of solutions through directly billable services to our clients (with a focus on PSE’s key clients). The Technology/Solution Leader will be a facilitator to CSTs in the advancement of new ideas throughout the SI&R/SW Service Line.
In this role, the SI&R/SW Technology/Solution Leader will be responsible primarily for guiding strategies and execution to advance solutions across our full range of SI&R/SW services to meet our clients’ greatest needs. As a result of this and through technical sales involvement with the clients, the Technology/Solution Leader will help the CSTs develop, win, and deliver new work/opportunities. In this role, the Technology/Solution Leader will be a member of our PSE TLG, the company-wide technology council, working closely with the Director of the PSE TLG, BC’s Chief Technical Officer (CTO), and other technology leadership team members to execute the company’s evolving technical strategy. Specifically, the Technology/Solution Leader role will include the following.
- Coordinate and work with PSE’s SI&R/SW Service Line Director to enhance and further develop BC’s PSE SI&R/SW “technology,” guidelines, technical/innovation teams, and policies.
- Guide engagement of BC’s CSTs and technical teams to define solution strategies and to better connect solutions with client needs and opportunities. Through these efforts the Technology/Solution Leader will work with the CSTs to identify project roles where the Technology/Solution Leader and others provide value to the client that is directly billable (50% overall utilization goal for the Technology/Solution Leader) to help the delivery of projects for our clients while differentiating BC as a leader in this delivery.
- Leverage innovation knowledge and strategies in key pursuits/proposals for BC, enhancing the probability of the win.
- Coordinate with BC’s CTO and others as identified above to guide and coordinate strategies across the SI&R/SW Service Line to support implementation/delivery.
- Coordinate with SI&R/SW senior leaders to periodically assess and refine strategy and direction for solution priorities including understanding where the industry is heading in the future and leveraging innovative technologies and solutions to help grow future business.
- Coordinate and work with the SI&R/SW Service Line Director relative to PSE SI&R/SW technology research and academic partnerships, in coordination with BC’s CTO.
- Coordinate and work with the SI&R/SW Service Line Director and BC’s CTO relative to PSE SI&R/SW’s contributions to BC’s Caldwell Innovation awards grant program.
- Coordinate with the SI&R/SW Service Line Director and BC’s CTO to promote visibility of BC’s SI&R/SW technical talent within BC, BC’s clients, and the industry.
- Coordinate with SI&R/SW Service Line Director, PSE Executive Leader, and PSE SI&R/SW marketing and sales team to package BC innovations and improve visibility with clients (technical sales).
- Track SI&R/SW innovation efforts applied by BC, share intelligence gathered with SI&R/SW Service Line Director, and leverage to inform BC strategies and approach (both within BC and with BC’s clients).
- Devote an anticipated 50% of time to the above activities and the remaining 50% of your time will be billed to client projects.
- Direct report to the Director of PSE’s SI&R/SW Service Line with responsibilities also to BC’s PSE Executive Leader/Business Unit Manager.
- Train and mentor SI&R/SW staff to develop a culture of innovation and solutions for the next generation of leaders.
Industry and Technical Prowess, Collaborative, Responsive, Leader, Resourceful, Versatile, Adaptable, Networker, Detail Oriented, Self-Driven, Effective Communicator, Coach, Passionate about BC.
Leadership Traits within the SI&R/SW Service Line:
Innovation Leadership: Provide critical thinking to determine the necessary approaches to coordinate with others and work across the organization to get things done. Offers good judgment about which creative ideas and suggestions will work; coaches effectively; has a sense about managing the creative process of others; can facilitate effective brainstorming; can project how potential ideas may play out in the marketplace.
Quality Focused: Unrelenting attention to detail. Uncompromising expectation and implementation of delivering accurate work products that are effective in the way they are communicated.
Creating the New and Different: Able to recognize the next great breakthrough that will be beneficial to our client’s SI&R/SW needs. Is creative, a visionary, and can manage innovation through effective strategy. Can create and bring exciting ideas to market and is comfortable speculating about alternative futures. Comfortable leading change as it relates to process, tools, and techniques to achieve shifts in culture and execution to achieve the required business outcomes.
Action Oriented: Enjoys working hard and is full of energy. Can be counted on to exceed goals successfully and is consistently a top performer. Steadfastly pushes self and others for results.
Team Player: Functions as an engaged participant and facilitator where appropriate. Listens actively and communicates constructively. Treats others in a respective and supportive manner and works as a problem solver. Collaboratively brings together diverse views to find a workable path forward.
Technical Understanding and Business Acumen: Knows the business and a wide range of technical and functional skills. Understands various types of business propositions (e.g., strategic investments and business case evaluation) and understands how the business operates. Brings business acumen to assess solutions and technologies relative to future client needs and growth opportunities for BC.
Learning Agility: Learns quickly when facing new problems, systems, and technologies. Is a relentless and versatile learner and is open to change. Learns through successes and failures. Enjoys the challenge of unfamiliar tasks and can quickly discern the underlying structure of anything.
Strategic Agility: Sees ahead clearly and can anticipate future consequences and trends. Is future oriented and offers broad knowledge and perspective. Can articulately create visions of possibilities and outcomes. Will create competitive advantage and breakthrough strategies and plans.
Managing Complex Decisions: Can solve even the toughest and most complex of problems. Great at gleaning the meaning from whatever data is available. Is a quick-study and adds personal wisdom and experience to arrive at best conclusion and solution.
Integrity and Trust: Is widely trusted; is seen as a direct, truthful individual; can present the unvarnished truth in an appropriate and helpful manner; keeps confidence; admits mistakes; doesn’t misrepresent him/herself for personal gain.
Desired Skills and Experience:
The ideal PSE SI&R/SW Technology/Solution Leader will leverage a verifiable success track record in SI&R/SW services with some degree of progressive leadership experience. The Technology/Solution Leader will have technical credibility, but doesn’t necessarily need to be a Subject Matter Expert (SME). What is more important is that the Technology/Solution Leader is comfortable engaging with SMEs and committed to leveraging their expertise to advance innovations as well as possess business acumen to understand the benefits and viabilities of various technology developments. Prior experience working with business managers, communities of practice, coordinating teams, and managing projects and efforts is critical. The Technology/Solution Leader should be passionate around innovation and technology and have knowledge and interest in the full range of BC’s services. Industry knowledge, including our competitors, research/academic organizations, and/or technology providers is also important. We are seeking an individual who is ready for a new challenge advancing innovation across the company, and private sector background is preferred.