For more than 70 years, Brown and Caldwell has been creating leading-edge environmental solutions for public agencies and private industry. We strive to be the environmental company of choice—to our clients, who benefit from our passion for delivering exceptional quality, and to our employees, present and future, who share our commitment to client service, collaboration and innovation. Join us, and you will find a home where you can do your best work, reach new levels of expertise and enjoy exceptional development opportunities. As a privately held firm with over 1,500 employee-owners in 50+ offices nationwide, the opportunity awaits for you to advance.
We are seeking a Client Manager/Local Leader in our San Francisco office.
In this role, you will be responsible for the maintenance and expansion of the San Francisco office through market and client strategy development. You will play a key role in formulating and executing strategy for the business in partnership with Regional management.
The primary function of this role is to work with the Northern California Area Leader, and other local leaders (Sacramento, Walnut Creek, and San Jose), to grow and maintain a thriving, profitable business. The candidate will be an experienced civil/environmental industry leader and will demonstrate in-depth understanding of how to analyze and capture local and regional market conditions and opportunities. The proven ability to lead other experienced managers and to empower and facilitate oversight of their respective areas is a vital component of success in this role. Effective decision making and problem solving strategies and skills are essential. For the San Francisco, Local Lead, in the medium term, this means transitioning San Francisco from a satellite “project” office, into an ongoing business. Specific functions are included below.
Lead or assist with the following key management activities under the direction of the Area Leader, as needed.
- Annual business planning
- Oversee office-wide project execution activities to meet revenue and profit metrics, while balancing our clients’ experience.
- Ownership of the San Francisco Market sales plan and delivery of metrics. This may include serving as a Client Service Manager (CSM) or overseeing other CSM’s.
- Operational management and accountability for the San Francisco office (Note: primary P/L focus is at the Business Unit level. Local Leader metrics support Area P/L, which in turn, support Business Unit P/L. An important part of our operational strategy is to incentivize decision making that maximizes firm value. We have found office level P/L’s to drive sub-optimal behavior.
- Leading, developing, and recruiting a team of top industry professionals.
- Recruiting new team members in the City is an important part of this role. Note that only 1 or 2 are currently in SF full time. Most other staff work between Walnut Creek and SF as needed. This is something we would like to start changing
- Driving the BC culture throughout the office staff
- Working through the group managers and staff to create a culture where existing employees and potential recruits want to work.
- Work with local managers to understand needs and drive recruiting.
- Work with local managers to implement succession planning.
- Building and sustaining profitable business growth.
- Playing an active role in new and ongoing San Francisco projects
- Collaborating with local and national colleagues to ensure the most appropriate resources are deployed for the greatest project success and client satisfaction.
- Defining, articulating and successfully executing local market and operations strategies.
- Develop the Sales Plan for clients annually in collaboration with Area Leader and Client Service Managers.
- Drive sales plan, in collaboration with CSMs and the Area leader.
- Work with managers and CSMs to develop strategic staffing to meet market growth needs.
- Driving business development, marketing and proposal efforts to maximize results.
- Making key decisions on office space and office allocations for staff in a consistent standardized manner.
The following experience accompany this role:
- Continue to develop and invest in yourself as a business leader. We will invest in you too. Local Leaders are the talent bench for Area Leaders and Business Unit Managers, and a critical part of the operation of the Company.
- Develop relationships with, and a working knowledge of, the key entities, agencies, competitors, and clients in the business market;
- Be “market visible” by attending key client meetings and professional organization events;
- Become very familiar with the staff and capabilities of the local business;
- Build trusting relationships with local and remote staff;
- Develop proficiency with the technology systems used to support business operations; and,
- Grow business instincts and acumen through observation, direct questioning, and the acceptance of challenging work assignments.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- BS/MS in Engineering required, Water/Wastewater emphasis preferred
- Professional Registration required
- Minimum of 10 years of increasingly responsible experience in the environmental services and consulting industry required
- Strong communication and management skills along with business development/marketing experience essential
- Previous experience with managing and mentoring a group or practice is essential.
- Previous experience in hiring top talent professionals is a plus
- MBA degree or similar business qualifications are a plus.
Join, Grow, Have Fun
We’re growing and having fun while doing it. Brown and Caldwell provides a comprehensive benefits program and a culture that promotes employee performance and success. We recognize that you are looking for a career path with opportunities to grow personally and professionally. We have a strong focus on employee development and offer a defined Progression Path advancement program; tuition reimbursement; honorariums for papers and presentations as well as project management training (BC is a PMI Registered Education Provider). Our work environment promotes a flexible and collaborative culture, an extensive knowledge-sharing infrastructure and more. Our values of working hard and with integrity combined with learning, growing and having fun make Brown and Caldwell your employer of choice.
CH2M wastewater design-build
Join, Grow, Have Fun
We’re growing and having fun while doing it. Brown and Caldwell provides a comprehensive benefits program and a culture that promotes employee performance and success. We recognize that you are looking for a career path with opportunities to grow personally and professionally. We have a strong focus on employee development and offer defined advancement through our Career Path Framework; tuition reimbursement; honorariums for papers and presentation as well as project management training (BC is a PMI Registered Education Provider). Our work environment promotes a flexible and collaborative culture, an extensive knowledge-sharing infrastructure and more. Our values of working hard and with integrity combined with learning, growing and having fun make Brown and Caldwell your employer of choice.
This position is subject to a pre-employment background check and a pre-employment drug test.
Brown and Caldwell is proud to be an EEO/AAP Employer-Minorities/Women/Disabled/Protected Veterans are encouraged to apply.