Orbis is an investment management firm dedicated to creating value for our clients. Since inception in 1990, we have grown into a global firm with around $39 billion in assets under management and offices spanning across nine countries. For the past two decades, we have been entrusted with managing money for some of the world’s largest companies, pension funds and government agencies. Orbis strongly believes that software engineering and data science are integral to our business. Our in-house Data Science team leverages data to provide our analysts with proprietary insights which help inform the stock-picking process. We use cloud-based big data analytics alongside machine learning to provide superior insight into the performance and potential of listed companies.
We are currently recruiting for software engineering interns, primarily to join our Data Science team in Vancouver. This role offers the opportunity to work with highly experienced developers from across the globe. The internship entails gathering and analysing big data through leveraging cloud based architecture, and utilizing and developing machine learning techniques for building predictive models for analysts. The intern role also offers the opportunity to propose and create a game for next year’s Orbis Challenge, and to help us run the actual event.
The successful individual will be:
• Driven, enthusiastic and passionate for Orbis’ vision
• A creative, intuitive and insightful team member
• A systematic and logical decision maker
The successful individual may be responsible for:
• Designing, building and delivering a game for the next Orbis Challenge
• Helping us develop a robust, reliable and scalable cloud based data platform
• Collaborating with our business team to understand requirements and explore new ways of using computer science ideas to generate business insights
• Contributing to the constant improvement of our development infrastructure and the solutions to complex technical challenges
• Delivering stand-alone solutions to help us meet a variety of business needs
• Experience of software development (preferably though Engineering or Computer Science degree courses) with an outstanding academic record
• Proficiency in object-oriented programming languages (e.g. C++, Java, C#)
• An understanding of the software development lifecycle
Desirable Experience (any of the following)
• Modern web development experience (e.g., HTML 5, CSS 3, Bootstrap, Angular, React)
• Data persistence (e.g. SQL, MongoDB)
• Cloud technologies (e.g. AWS, Azure)
• Machine learning (e.g., Tensorflow, Keras)
• Data analysis (e.g., R)
• Big Data (e.g., Hadoop, Redshift, Map-Reduce)
• Architectural patterns (e.g. MVC, CQRS)
• User experience design, including responsive design for mobile devices
• Experience across the software development lifecycle (preferably using an Agile methodology) from initial conception to maintenance and support
What We Offer
Orbis strives to attract talented individuals who have demonstrated the ability to excel in a team-based environment. The remuneration package will reflect this and will be heavily influenced by performance.
If you are interested in this position, please upload your cover letter, resume and transcripts (all post-secondary to this point; unofficial are accepted) using the link below.
For more information about Orbis, visit our website at www.orbis.com.