Under the supervision of the Manager, IT Applications, the Application Administrator (BI) is responsible for the management of software systems to ensure high levels of availability and security of the supported BI business applications. The role of the Application Administrator (BI) is to design and develop strategic BI solutions and deliver support to end-users in the organization about how to use them efficiently and effectively in fulfilling their business objectives.
- Maintain and enhance performance of new and existing BI solutions across the organization.
- Identify and learn appropriate software applications used and supported by the organization.
- Work with business users to analyze requirements and, based on findings, design functional specifications for BI front-end applications.
- Full project responsibility for the design, development, and delivery of BI solutions to meet the business needs.
- Assist the research into BI products and services in support of development and purchasing efforts.
- Support application development teams throughout project lifecycles.
- Provide support for the testing of new and existing BI solutions under development or consideration for purchase.
- Prioritize, schedule, and administer all instances where enhancements and defect resolution are required.
- Conduct research on emerging products, services, protocols, and standards in support of systems software procurement and development efforts.
- Ensure the integrity and security of enterprise data on host computers, multiple databases, and during data transfer in accordance to business needs and industry best-practices regarding privacy, security, and regulatory compliance.
- Manage storage allocations in accordance with best-practices regarding privacy, security, and regulatory compliance.
- Participate in negotiations with vendors, outsourcers, and contractors to secure software products and services.
- Perform application security audits.
- Recommend software and hardware improvements, upgrades, patches, reconfigurations, and/or purchases.
- Field incoming problem tickets from end-users to resolve application and software issues within servers, and databases.
- Record, track, and document the problem-solving process, including all successful and unsuccessful decisions made, and actions taken, through to final resolution.
- Communicate application problems and issues to key stakeholders, including management, development teams, end users, and unit leaders.
- Test fixes and perform post-resolution follow-ups to ensure problems have been adequately resolved.
- Post software updates, drivers, knowledge bases, and frequently asked questions resources on company intranet to assist in problem resolution.
- Assist infrastructure team as needed with preventative maintenance, including the installation of service packs, patches, hot fixes.
- Assist to develop, document, and maintain policies, procedures and associated training plans for system administration and appropriate use of BI solutions.
- Act as evangelist for benefits of BI solutions across the organization, promote usage to relevant departments.
- Provide guidance & education on BI to other members of the IT team.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Formal Education / Training & Certification
- Bachelor level degree in an IT related discipline and/or equivalent work experience.
Knowledge & Experience
- Hands-on knowledge of and experience with common BI solutions; including Qlikview, IBM COGNOS, Oracle, SAP Business Objects.
- Working technical knowledge of network, PC, and platform operating systems (e.g., Windows, AIX, Linux)
- Experience in gathering, analyzing, and meeting business requirements.
- Application support experience with various manufacturing & back-office business systems.
- Working technical knowledge of current systems software, protocols, and standards.
- Experience with troubleshooting principles, methodologies, and issue resolution techniques.
- Experience with data warehouse analysis and design, with knowledge of data warehouse methodologies and data modeling
- Experience with master data management (MDM) is a plus.
- Broad knowledge of programming languages and techniques.
- Able to develop and interpret technical documentation for training and end-user procedures.
- Knowledge of trends in technology relating to BI solutions.
- Experience with building and maintaining databases for query and problem tracking – including strong SQL abilities.
- Good understanding of the organization’s goals and objectives.
- Experience documenting and maintaining configuration and process information.
- Proven full life-cycle project planning and management experience.
- Knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws.
- A minimum of 4-6 years of experience designing, developing and supporting enterprise BI solutions.
- A minimum of 3-4 years of experience supporting business applications in a manufacturing environment.
- Strong IT general knowledge.
- Excellent written, oral, interpersonal, and presentational communication skills.
- Self-motivated and directed.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Strong analytical, evaluative, and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Exceptional customer service orientation.
- Ability to work in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Demonstrate the ability to take the initiative on assigned projects, work independently and meet deadlines.
- On-call availability.
- Sitting for extended periods of time.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and to handle other computer components.