Director of Organizing
People Acting in Community Together is a multiracial, multi-faith grassroots organization that empowers ordinary people to win extraordinary victories, not by speaking for them, but by teaching them how to build power and take action in the public arena for themselves.
As a member of the PICO National Network, PACT creates change on the local, state and national levels. Our issues include immigration; affordable housing; police accountability and creating a true public safety and justice system; and closing the racial and economic achievement and opportunity gap in public education. We are organizing for racial and economic justice and to create a community and society where #WeAllBelong.
PACT has a diverse staff and large base of volunteer, grassroots community leaders and clergy/faith leaders in 30+ member congregations and schools across San Jose and Santa Clara County. We are intentional about building a multicultural organization and putting race and faith at the center of our work.
- Lead staff development including training and supervision for staff community organizers
- Provide leadership – working with staff, leaders, clergy and allies – for the development and implementation of powerful, strategic campaigns that achieve tangible results for our communities.
- Provide leadership – working with staff, leaders, clergy – for a program of training for leaders and clergy.
- Help to develop PACT’s strategic partnerships with labor, advocacy and other community- based organizations.
- Work with the executive director plus board members, staff, clergy and other leaders to develop a strong analysis of our region and ability to act powerfully with other PICO federations in the Bay Area and CA.
- Work with the executive director on fundraising, grant management, and cultivating and stewarding funder/donor relationships to sustain and grow the work.
- Lead efforts to build organizational capacity for voter engagement and data-driven work to build and exercise our power.
- Work with the communications strategist and others to powerfully integrate communications strategies to amplify and grow our power to win
- Participate in our PICO National Network’s state and national policy campaigns, trainings and race cohort work.
- At least 5 years of community organizing experience (congregation-based, labor, or other)
- Successful experience recruiting, training, supervising and developing organizing staff.
- Demonstrated success developing and leading organizing campaigns to win tangible benefits for the community.
- Excellent strategic thinking and political analysis skills—the ability to figure out how to exponentially advance the work.
- Strong public speaking and writing skills
- Strong interpersonal and relational skills
- Passion for learning and taking on challenges
- Commitment to disrupting the structural forces causing disparities and organizing for racial and economic justice.
- Proven ability to work effectively with diverse faith communities and with people from diverse racial, cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Bilingual Spanish strongly preferred
- BA or Masters degree
Compensation and Benefits:
- PACT has a strong learning culture, including weekly staff development sessions and PICO regional, state, and national trainings.
- We place a high priority on personal and professional leadership development, relationship building, and creating a respectful and supportive multi-racial, multi-faith, and multilingual organization.
- This is a full-time, exempt position. The job includes regular evening work and some weekend work.
- There are opportunities for advancement within PACT and PICO. Salary is dependent on experience, starting at approximately $65,000.
All applicants must apply for this position online. (Click the “Apply for this Position” button below) Please have the following documents ready to upload to your online application:
- An electronic file of your resume (preferably in PDF format) including 3 references
- A cover letter (stating why you would be the ideal person for this position)
- A writing sample demonstrating your political analysis including racial, economic and power analysis (This could be a writing sample, presentation or training, infographic, multi-media project, or anything that best represents your analysis and work.)
If you need assistance or experience any technical difficulties with your online application, please contact email@example.com. Resumes will not be accepted via this email address.
Top candidates will be asked to demonstrate skills and commitment through an intensive screening process including interviews with up to 10 community leaders, board members and staff.
Resumes will be accepted on a rolling basis. However, interviews will begin almost immediately.
FAITH in ACTION is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against otherwise qualified applicants on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, age, sex, marital status, national origin, disability or handicap, or veteran status.