Morrison & Foerster LLP, an Am Law 50 law firm with 16 offices worldwide, has an opening for a Public Relations Manager within our Marketing Department in our New York, D.C. or San Francisco offices.
Reporting to the Director of Public Relations, the Public Relations Manager will be responsible for further increasing visibility in the U.S. around a number of our premier Litigation practices, such as IP Litigation, Class Actions, Securities Litigation White Collar Defense, and Appellate. Our manager will also have the opportunity to promote highly prominent senior government officials who recently joined the firm to lead our Transportation, and Global Risk & Crisis Management groups. He/she will provide support with critical internal communications and crisis management initiatives, as well.
In this important and highly visible position, our ideal candidate brings at least five years of relevant PR and communications experience. He or she is passionate about media relations, extraordinarily proactive and self-motivated, highly comfortable working with and counseling firm partners and senior-level staff, and excited to join a growing global team.
At Morrison & Foerster, we hire business professionals who share our lawyers’ high standards and commitment to excellence. We look for employees who will tackle their work with initiative, attention to detail, and a willingness to work as part of a team. In our collaborative work environment, individual talent flourishes, opinions are valued, and contributions are acknowledged.
- Participates in the firm’s public relations strategic development and planning.
- Provides direction to and contributes to the oversight of outside PR agencies.
- Responsible for obtaining placements in appropriate media outlets, based on strategic plans and reactive opportunities, that will raise visibility of the firm and its practice areas and partners in the media.
- Develops and cultivates relationships with appropriate press contacts at relevant business, regional, trade, and legal publications.
- Develops effective relationships with partners earning their trust and respect.
- Prepares partners for media interviews and actively participates in meetings with key reporters.
- Writes communication materials such as press releases, media pitches, byline article abstracts, pre-briefing documents, etc.
- Interfaces with Business Development and partners to identify industry trends, information on matters, and newsworthy client work that we can promote.
- Analyzes and reports back on results of PR campaigns, using the information to determine appropriate strategic adjustments.
- Works collaboratively with the U.S. and global PR/communications team to help us maximize opportunities and ensure consistency of messaging.
- Manages select internal communications initiatives such as firmwide updates and executive communications, and supports strategy around internal communications.
- Supports strategy and execution around crisis management scenarios.
- Contributes to the strategy and development of information for headcount and revenue surveys.
- BA/BS degree required.
- At least five years of public relations and communications experience; prefer litigation experience in law firm PR either in-house or on the agency side.
- Existing media relationships and proven ability to build new relationships.
- Strong news sense and understanding of what it takes to generate impactful media coverage.
- Experience in developing and successfully executing PR and communications plans.
- Comfortable interacting with and counseling partners and senior-level employees.
- Excellent verbal communication skills and exceptional writing abilities.
- Excellent organizational skills; ability to successfully prioritize multiple demands and meet deadlines under pressure.
- Ideally has experience with social media and content marketing.
- Self-starter with an excellent work ethic and a positive, proactive style.
Who We Are
At Morrison & Foerster, our culture is defined by our deeds. We’re passionate about what we do. We’re equally passionate about how we do it. We resist hierarchies and operate within a model of respect — for our colleagues, their ideas, and the differences that make us stronger. We encourage you to learn more about who we are, and what we do .
Should you find you’re ready to do the best work of your life, we encourage you to let us know!
If you are a new applicant, click the "Apply for this Position" button.
If you are a returning applicant and you have previously applied to a position or registered on our website, login to access your existing applicant data. Click the "Add to My Jobs" button to begin the application process.
If you do not see the "Add to My Jobs" button, it means you have already applied for this job and we have your application on file. You may only apply to each job once.