Purpose: The Grant Writer is primarily responsible for writing and managing portfolios for proposals and applications to secure grant funding for JF&CS programs/services, infrastructure and other activities as identified. Responsibilities include research and prospecting for potential funders (individuals, foundations (corporate/private/public), government (Federal/State/County), partnerships and collaborations. The Grant Writer will demonstrate skills and expertise to assure funding alignment to agency mission, goals and programs and ability to lead grant-writing projects.
- Writing Grant, proposals and renewals for agency programs, infrastructure and other activities.This includes collecting current research for proposal’s subject; coordinating programmatic, administrative and narrative preparation with appropriate staff members; completing necessary forms and attachments; assembling the budget, attachments and proposal for submission, as appropriate
- Writing, editing and research for reports and amendments as assigned
- Grant Administration including coordinating execution of contracts; maintaining computerized and paper files of all funding;
- Advise staff on a variety of issues related to funding, vetting, program design and implementation, grant administration/management, close-out, and termination.
- Grant Compliance including communication of funding requirements to appropriate staff; ensuring the timely submission of required statistical and narrative reports; assisting with program reporting as necessary and compliance review for funding requirements during the life of the grant.
- Performs the full range of actions for the grant administration phase (review funding opportunities, recommend funding opportunities to program directors, attend pre and post-award calls, conferences, meetings, etc., coordinate program and fiscal reporting schedule with staff, track grant progress, negotiate new/changed requirements, contract modifications, remedial action, and/or contract terminations).
- Provide technical assistance and training to program staff based on funder requirements.
- Maintain and expand support for JF&CS programs by overseeing execution of grants portfolio including research and prospecting, proposal and report writing, and development/stewardship activities
- Initiate ongoing communication with key program staff to analyze funding needs, gaps and opportunities
- Manage efficient operational system to ensure accurate records and timely communication with funders; oversee grants calendar and maintain up-to-date database records for all institutional donors
- Collect and synthesize information about JF&CS programs as needed to make strongest case for support
- Develop a deep understanding of program content to ensure integrity and quality of proposal writing
- Serve as technical writer by integrating logic model, monitoring and Evaluation Data, and Qualitative Information into all proposals.
- Assist Grant team coworkers administratively, writing proposals, reviewing and conducting research.
- Assist other JF&CS administrative areas with requests for information (Marketing, Finance, Development co-workers).
- Other duties as assigned
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Must type a minimum of 40 WPM
- Ability to gather data, compile information and prepare grant proposals, budgets and outcomes for a wide variety of programs.
- Ability to work on a number of different projects simultaneously
- Ability to assist staff with program-related design, development and strengthening
- Ability to problem-solve and think creatively
- Team orientation with ability to be self-directed as well
- High level of competency in MS Office products including Word, Outlook, Excel (Access a plus!)
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to prioritize in a deadline driven environment
- Attention to detail
- Must be Flexible
- Must exhibit empathy in dealings with colleagues, clients, volunteers, and the greater community
- Ability to show emotional intelligence by listening and reflecting on situations before reacting
Education and/or Experience:
- Minimum of B.A. degree or equivalent experience of at least 5 years in an area related to human services
- Successful grant writing experience for government, foundation, corporate and individual funding
- Experience in preparing proposal packages and budgets, understand outcome measures and grant compliance for human service agencies
- Knowledge of program development and outcomes, preferred
- High level of competency in MS Office products including Word, Outlook, Excel, and Access (a plus)
- Typing a minimum of 40 wpm