Job Title: Network Engineer
Location: Washington, DC
Required Clearance: Public Trust
Description and Responsibilities:
FedData is seeking a Network Engineer to join our Department of Commerce, Office of the Inspector General team! As the Network Engineer, you will perform engineering and/or analytical tasks and activities associated with network design, engineering, implementation, operations, and user support for a Government client.Conduct incident/event investigation and analysis and tests security products and systems to detect security weaknesses. Assesses and detects network vulnerabilities.
- Observe, manage, and maintain constant operational monitoring of network and server environments through the management suite SolarWinds.
- Gather requirements from System Administrators in order to implement custom monitoring and reporting for custom environments.
- Research, test, document, and perform firmware updates, basic commands, and general patching on a variety of infrastructure devices and appliances to include but not limited to KVMs, Network Switches, Routers, Firewalls, Hyper-V virtual appliances, PDUs, UPSs, infrastructure applications, and other specialized server equipment.
- Troubleshoot, repair, install and uninstall various types of network media for new and ongoing projects.
- Troubleshoot and work with vendors to resolve issues with hardware and software issues related to the client’s infrastructure
- Perform as team leader on complex tasks that require significant interaction of various technical disciplines.
- Responsible for analysis of problems requiring high levels of technical and engineering expertise.
- Ensures that the network complies with prescribed industry, customer, or agency standards.
- Evaluates problems of workflow, organization, and planning, and develops appropriate corrective actions.
- Ensure the network systems are safe and secure from outside attacks
- Update the systems regularly
- Ensure the network connections to the systems are up and functioning
- Perform functional analysis and testing the computer applications
- Ensures efforts comply with prescribed industry, customer and agency standards
- 5+ years of network engineering experience
- Minimum of two (2) years’ experience managing and monitoring of network and server environments through the management suite SolarWinds.
- Have a working knowledge of network, server, and telecommunication fundamentals.
- Be able to visualize network and server physical, conceptual, and logical topologies and draft clear topology maps in order for administrators and management to use.
- Good communication skills
- Ability to manage, coordinate and organize data, gather a comprehensive view and design new concepts
- Ability to work alone as well as in a group
- Ability to adhere to deadlines
- Excellent ability to analyze, make decisions and solve problems
- Ability to work in high pressure situations
- Good leadership qualities to instruct and lead junior engineers and technicians
- Excellent communication skills (oral and writing)
- Must be US citizen and able to obtain Public Trust access
Work is typically based in a busy office environment and subject to frequent interruptions. Business work hours are normally set from Monday through Friday 8:00am to 5:00pm, however some extended or weekend hours may be required. Additional details on the precise hours will be informed to the candidate from the Program Manager/Hiring Manager.
May be required to lift and carry items weighting up to 25 lbs. Requires intermittent standing, walking, sitting, squatting, stretching and bending throughout the work day.
Successful Completion of a Background Screening/Check/Investigation will be required as a condition of hire.
Employment Type: Full-time / Exempt
Federal Data Systems, LLC offers competitive compensation, a flexible benefits package, career development opportunities that reflect its commitment to creating a diverse and supportive workplace. Benefits include, not all inclusive – Medical, Vision & Dental Insurance, Paid Time-Off & Company Paid Holidays, Personal Development & Learning Opportunities.
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
Federal Data Systems, LLC (FEDDATA) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. That does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law