Job Title: F5 Engineer
Location: Arlington, VA
Shift: M-F Days
Required Security Clearance : Top Secret
Required Certifications : DoD IAT Level II, i.e. Security+CE, CySA+, etc or above.
Required Education: Bachelor’s degree in technology or the sciences, or industry-equivalent experience required.
Required Experience: 5+ years’ experience supporting enterprise F5 load balancing (installing, configuring, maintaining, and troubleshooting networking technologies)
- Significant experience with supporting and maintaining F5 Big-IP load balancers to include set-up, maintenance, upgrades and replacement of the latest generation of F5s.
- Extensive experience with Big-IP LTM, APM and ASM modules in a large shared environment.
- Experience in Authentication mechanisms and strategies with APM.
The F5 Engineer will have F5 Operations and Engineering experience with multiple F5 solutions in an enterprise environment. Must have experience in data networking, working with application development and security teams and communicating effectively with various departments and technical skill sets within an organization. You will be a part of a dynamic team responsible for designing, building, testing, and implementing enhancements to the system.
The F5 Engineer will provide the following:
- Perform daily operational tasks in operating and maintaining the JSP F5 load balancers with Big-IP LTM, APM & ASM.
- Install, configure, and maintain network hardware, software, devices and appliances in support of JSP.
- Prepare network or infrastructure Visio topology diagrams, write Standard Operating Procedures, maintenance plans and provide status reports as required, participate in data calls and other operational and maintenance tasks.
- Troubleshoot network problems, network device configurations and coordinate with various department administrators to facilitate connectivity issue resolution.
- Display practical working knowledge of F5 and Cisco technologies.
- Deploy, operate and maintain highly available networks using Local Traffic Management (LTM) and Global Traffic Management (GTM) technologies.
- Support Secure Socket Layer / Transport Layer Security (SSL/TSL) offloading and brokering PKI authentication provided by the F5 load balancer.
- Perform software upgrades, routine backups, LTM/GTM performance monitoring of F5 load balancer infrastructure.
- Have a Real-world understanding and wide application of advanced principles, theories, concepts and techniques in network and communications engineering.
- Apply knowledge of applicable industry and/or academic practices and standards of LANs and telecommunication interfaces; with a knowledge of network switch and routing protocols; familiarity of network services applications. Ability to perform problem identification, reporting, and resolution of task.
- Apply knowledge of applicable industry and/or academic practices and standards in Virtual Private Networks.
- Use past experiences’ with network firewall technologies and security appliances.
- Use past experiences’ in designing high traffic networks and security practices for Data Center Networks, which includes Load balancing, Firewall design, traffic engineering, Network redundancy, and Disaster Recovery.
- Use past experiences’ with network automation via a programing language (Perl, Ansible).
- Use pat experience in gathering requirements from different business units, stakeholders and engineering teams.
- Plans, designs, develops, and implements enterprise load balancing solutions.
- Provide advanced knowledge along with customer interaction to resolve highly complex problems including receipt of requirements, design, test, and response to service requests.
- Debugs and tests load balancing, plans projects, and performs needs assessments.
- May provide initial implementation support of networks to assure proper execution and provides resolution for system failures or degradation.
- Forecasts network needs and works with other information systems areas to develop policies and procedures to resolve the most complex and unique technical problems.
- Regular use of creativity and innovation to address critical issues.
- Frequent interaction with customer, vendors, and industry partners.
- 5+ years of experience supporting enterprise F5 load balancing (installing, configuring, maintaining, and troubleshooting networking technologies).
- Excellent communications skills and ability to interact with clients.
- Demonstrate an ability to craft and understand iRules.
- Experience with TCPDump, Wireshark and analyzing network traffic.
- Experience troubleshooting SSL traffic with Wireshark.
- Demonstrate a solid understanding of the OSI and TCP/IP network models and provide examples.
- Experience working in a large SDLC environment.
- Experience analyzing security impacts and risks to websites, explain crafting ASM policies with examples.
- Experience in custom SSL, ciphers, and LTM traffic performance optimization.
- Intermediate knowledge of networking and systems administration; and the ability to troubleshoot problems.
- Working knowledge in one or more of the following areas: installing, configuring, maintaining, and troubleshooting LANs, WANS, and networking technologies.
- DoD Secret Clearance
- U.S. Citizen
- F5 Certified Technology Specialist (F5 CTS), F5 BIG-IP Administrator (F5 CA) or the F5 Certified Solution Expert (F5 CSE) certification(s) are desired.
- Cisco Certified Network Associate or Professional level certification desired.
Work is typically based in a busy office environment and subject to frequent interruptions. Business work hours are normally set from Monday through Friday 8:00am to 5:00pm, however some extended or weekend hours may be required. Additional details on the precise hours will be informed to the candidate from the Program Manager/Hiring Manager.
May be required to lift and carry items weighting up to 25 lbs. Requires intermittent standing, walking, sitting, squatting, stretching and bending throughout the work day.
Successful Completion of a Background Screening/Check/Investigation may be required as a condition of hire.
Employment Type : Full-time / Exempt
Federal Data Systems, LLC offers competitive compensation, a flexible benefits package, career development opportunities that reflect its commitment to creating a diverse and supportive workplace. Benefits include, not all inclusive – Medical, Vision & Dental Insurance, Paid Time-Off & Company Paid Holidays, Personal Development & Learning Opportunities.
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
Federal Data Systems, LLC (FEDDATA) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. That does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.