Job Title: Senior Linux System Administrator
Location: Martinsburg, WV (Kearneysville, WV), approximately 20 miles from Winchester, VA and 60 miles from Washington DC. Telework is authorized with local in NVA/DC area with onsite work in Martinsburg, WV a couple days a week.
Shift: Day Shift
Required Security Clearance: Public Trust
Required Certifications: None required, RHCSA certification preferred.
Required Education: Bachelor’s degree in technology or the sciences, or industry-equivalent experience required.
- 5+ years of professional experience working with Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) or other Linux operating systems
- US Citizen Required
- Ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance
- 5 years experience in system engineering demonstrating depth of technical understanding with infrastructure support.
The Senior Linux System Administrator will provide hands on technical support for managing existing systems, creating new systems, and assist in migrating a large-scale web and database platform from a client hosted data center to the AWS Cloud.
The Senior Linux System Administrator will provide the following:
- Configuring, monitoring and maintaining RedHat Linux operating systems in a dynamic, virtualized environment.
- Work in a team environment with other engineering teams to support a variety of production servers that host a number of applications and databases
- Handling escalated incidents or high critical tickets
- Predicting risk/impact and participating in major changes
- Work with vendors, infrastructure admins and application owners to implement application / system requirements
- Designing, migration and upgrading of existing infrastructure
- On-call and after hours support is a requirement of this position
- Ability to administer Linux Infrastructure
- Strong knowledge on troubleshooting skills of Linux/UNIX
- Strong knowledge on Linux/UNIX management tools
- Knowledge on Remote system administration
- Troubleshooting the incidents & problems reported on the servers and vendor coordination for escalation
- Provide the root cause analysis on the major incidents/problems
- To carry out the scheduled activities like daily checklists, server reboot, etc.
- Monitoring of logs and alerts
- Patch management and Antivirus management
- Understanding of capacity planning, performance monitoring & tuning
- Should have scripting knowledge for scripted installs and automation
- Strong knowledge on Storage & Networking concepts
- Experience working in / managing servers on Amazon Web Services (AWS) or other cloud infrastructure
- Experience with VMware is preferred
- Experience with CI/CD tools and Automation tools such as Ansible is preferred
- Knowledge on any monitoring tools like Nagios, Zabbix, etc. will be a plus
- Strong written and communication skills
- Proven ability to work independently and as a team member
- An understanding of DevOps best practices
- Ansible playbook experience
- Experience with PaaS and IaaS
Work is typically based in a busy office environment and subject to frequent interruptions. Business work hours are normally set from Monday through Friday 8:00am to 5:00pm, however some extended or weekend hours may be required. Additional details on the precise hours will be informed to the candidate from the Program Manager/Hiring Manager.
Successful Completion of a Background Screening/Check/Investigation will be required as a condition of hire.
Employment Type: Full-time / Exempt
Federal Data Systems, LLC offers competitive compensation, a flexible benefits package, career development opportunities that reflect its commitment to creating a diverse and supportive workplace. Benefits include, not all inclusive – Medical, Vision & Dental Insurance, Paid Time-Off & Company Paid Holidays, Personal Development & Learning Opportunities.
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
Federal Data Systems, LLC (FEDDATA) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. That does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.