PULICE CONSTRUCTION, INC
A Grade Checker works in the construction industry, typically on freeways and roadways, to set grade stakes meant to guide equipment operators on sloping highways and embankments. In this career, you set these grade stakes using GPS technology, hand tools, and other measuring instruments.
- Use GPS equipment to set grade and determine volumes
- Provide staking and layout from project plans
- Mark and read survey stake along highway right-of-way to determine grade using the slope stakes provide by the surveyors
- Measure and set grade stake to guide earth-moving equipment during excavation and embankment operations
- Observe and direct equipment operators during an excavation operation to ensure conformity with stake references
- Utilize surveyor rod and eye level to adjust the elevation of an embankment and initial excavation
- SET horizontal stakeline on embankment by measuring and staking at specific intervals
- Monitor backfill and sloping operations to ensure compliance with set production and safety guidelines
- Inspect equipment to ensure they are in good condition and function efficiently
- Collaborate with construction supervisors, equipment operators and site engineers to set and implement design standards for work operations
- Take horizontal and vertical measurements to determine the ratio of grade stake to embankment
- Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of surveying equipment and it’s mode of operation
- Verify grade specifications to notify equipment operators and construction supervisors of deviations
- Understand construction blueprints to determine the grade standard required for a fill, sloping or excavation operation.
- High school diploma, preferred
- Thorough understanding of math, including geometry
- 5 years of experience in the field of construction and grade checking.
- Proficient in the use of survey equipment necessary to provide staking from Surveyors layout and capable of interpreting construction plans
- GPS experience preferred (TOPCON/LEICA)
- Observational Skills: Grade checkers are adept at monitoring excavation and embankment activities to ensure equipment operators adhere to grade specifications
- Physical Stamina: Grade checkers endure long hours of strenuous work in a crouching or standing position, so you need to have strong physical stamina
- Eye for Details: Grade checkers are well versed in measuring and setting grade stakes according to set standards.
Pre-employment background check and drug screening required