Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Position Expires: March 22, 2019
General Description and Classification Standards
The individual in this position is responsible for the overall management of the Municipal Court of Atlanta. Duties include, but are not limited to: coordinating, organizing, supervising and the management of the various case processing activities of the court. Providing direction to a group of managers engaged in multiple activities related to the area of leadership responsibility; establishing operating policies; providing management coaching and guidance; building relationships across department, in addition to City organizations as needed; and managing court budget.
This is the highest level of strategic and/or operations management reporting to the Chief Judge and the Municipal Court bench. Position manages a primary function of the department and recommends high level policy and procedure subject to department, mayoral, and/or Council approval.
Directing activities; keeping the Municipal Court Judges informed about professional and fiscally responsible recommendations regarding budget policy, adoption and adjustment; presenting and explaining Courts finances, budgets, forecasts to City Council and to Office of the Mayor.
Direction is received by the Chief Judge and the Municipal bench focusing on strategic objectives and policy making.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
These are typical responsibilities for this position and should not be construed as exclusive or all inclusive. Individual may perform other duties as assigned.
- Oversees record management including computer operations, record retention, record-keeping and reporting of court minutes.
- Ensures the preparation of a balanced and fiscally responsible annual budget that is in compliance with the City Charter.
- Supervises the financial aspects of court operations including the collection, receipt, and accounting fees, fines, bonds, and escrow funds.
- Ensures the preparation of fiscally responsible annual budget that is in compliance with the City Charter; develops, defends and revises such budget within the context of meetings with Office of the Mayor, City council.
- Keeps the Municipal Judges informed regarding expenditure forecasts deviations from anticipations, budget status, and major financial developments which may impact the City.
- Provides recommendation regarding new initiatives, contracts and/or legislation.
- Directing activities; keeping the Municipal Court Judges informed about professional and fiscally responsible recommendations regarding budget policy, adoption and adjustment; presenting and explaining Courts finances, budgets, forecasts to City Council and to Office of the Mayor.
- Presents and explains the Municipal Court finances, and budgets to the members of City Council.
- Makes recommendations to the Municipal Court Judges for pending and forthcoming legislation; administrated staff to assist in writing legislation and securing funds;
- Monitors activities of departments to ensure all responsibilities are performed accurately and on a timely basis.
- Monitors the administration of the budget; makes and recommends adjustments to the Mayor and Council.
- Interacts with executive level management on a peer basis.
- Develops and presents program recommendations to the Municipal Court Judges.
- Participates in the development of the Courts plans and programs.
- Evaluates and advises on the impact of long range planning of new programs and strategies as those items impacting the Court.
- Directs the development of staffing strategies to identify and retain talent at the court and implement improvement plans.
- Assists with identifying training and development programs.
- Establishes credibility throughout the court with management and employees in order to be an effective listener and problem solver of issues.
- Enhances, develops, implements, and enforces human resources policies and procedures of the organization by way of systems that will improve the overall operation and effectiveness of the Court.
- Manages the case management systems database, necessary to reports for critical analyses of the court.
- Manages the budget and other financial measures of the court.
- Conducts evaluation of the court structure for continual improvement of the efficiency and effectiveness of the court as well as providing individuals with professional and personal growth.
- Works closely with the office of the Mayor, with City Council and Municipal Court Judges to achieve city goals and objectives
- Advises, negotiates, manages, and administers with all court vendors.
- Develops preliminary court budget, forecasts revenues, expenditures, and participates in budget hearings.
- Interprets and executes statutory mandates, rules of court, and judicial system policies as they relate to administrative matters.
- Formulates and implements policy with respect to the operations of the court administration.
- Develops and/or modifies procedures to ensure compliance and supervises the implementation.
- Analyzes and prepares court security plans.
- Conducts continuing research and the evaluation of court programs and operation, including the development and application of improved methods of administration for the purposes of increasing efficiency and effectiveness.
This is a policy-advisory level of management; establishing and maintaining, organizational strategies and policies within required legislative and/or executive limitations.
Works within and strive to achieve the Municipal Court’s overall mission.
Accomplishes short-term and mid-term objectives; applies professional standards of operation and assures the court functions are meets under all legal and regulatory requirements.
Provides guidance to managers, supervisor, and staff, while setting the overall goals and objectives for the Court and provides guidance on performance standards in accordance with the city policies
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
This is a partial listing of necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform the job successfully. It is not an exhaustive list.
- Advanced knowledge of the court functions, knowledge of core technical and/or operations issues related to the court management principles and approaches.
- Advanced leadership required in addition to motivational skills for in identifying strategic issues and developing long-term resolutions.
- Skill in operating computers with extensive proficiency, covering a wide variety of applications.
- Ability to visualize and plan organizational needs while accomplishing administrative goals.
- Must possess exceptional relationship building skills within the organization including external constituents/partners.
Minimum Qualifications – Education and Experience
5 years' of leadership experience as a manager or supervisor (of professionals) or equivalent.
Preferred Education & Experience
- Bachelor's Degree or higher in criminal justice, management, business administration or any equivalent field; and 7-8 years' of specific experience with extensive project management or leadership experience.
- Juris Doctor from an accredited College or University
- Current license and relevant years of experience in Six Sigma
- Maintains an awareness of both, state and city regulations to ensure compliance
- Outstanding leadership and management in an organization with 100 or more staff members
- Demonstrate knowledge in the development and implementation of a successful budget plan for a multi-million-dollar budget
- Clearly articulates information within the organization, to the Municipal Court Judges, the Mayor’s Office, Council Members, interdepartmental leads, and other public forums as requested and necessary.
Licensures and Certifications
Court Clerk and or Administrator certification needed or must be acquired within 6 months of hire.
Essential Capabilities and Work Environment
Required physical, lifting, and sensory capabilities are requirements to perform the job successfully. Typical environmental conditions associated with job.