IT Systems Engineer I - Solutions Engineering
The City of Virginia Beach Information Technology (IT) Department is an award-winning organization committed to using technology to transform service delivery for residents, visitors and other stakeholders. We received the prestigious CIO 100 award in 2018 and 2019, and have been recognized three years in a row by the Center for Digital Government as #1 among "Digital Cities" in our population category. The IT Department is constantly evolving to meet citizens' expectations of transparency, accountability and accessibility in the digital age. Our software developers, engineers, analysts and other team members are re-imagining how to make citizen-government interactions more efficient while advancing the city's operational needs. As we lead the city's digital transformation, IT seeks candidates with backgrounds in information technology, data science, business, design thinking, art and more. Your unique insights and approach might just be what we are looking for.
As a member of the Solutions Engineering Team, the Systems Engineer I will be responsible for planning, coordinating, installing, upgrading, and supporting business critical applications. The Solutions Engineering Team is responsible for performing applications maintenance and monitoring, systems patching, updates, and application administration.
•This position will focus on the capabilities of software solutions and planning to engineer enterprise systems that are robust, secure, reliable, scalable, flexible, and meet customer expectations for Recovery Time Objectives and Recovery Point Objectives.
• This position is responsible for identifying application hardware and software requirements, creating architecture plans, creating implementation plans, installation of software, conducting user acceptance testing, and developing support documentation for systems assigned and hardware/software life cycles. The selected applicant will design, install, baseline, support, maintain, and upgrade the City's enterprise software solutions with an emphasis on maintaining systems current with vendor versions and updates, properly monitored, documented, and securely controlled.
• Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA) 2012/2016 or equivalent industry certifications is encouraged during the first 12 months of employment and maintained for the duration of employment in this position.
CJIS/PREA Disclaimer: ***This position will provide direct support to the City’s Public Safety departments and will have physical access to public safety buildings and/or access to confidential and sensitive public safety databases. As such, and in compliance with federal regulations and guidelines, City of Virginia Beach IT staff and contractors must receive a Criminal Justice Information Systems (CJIS) and may require a Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA) criminal background clearance prior to employment and annually thereafter while employed or under contract with the City of Virginia Beach. Automatic disqualifiers related to the CJIS and PREA criminal background checks apply, including but not limited to, US Citizenship and/or minimum ten (10) years US Residency requirements.
Please Note: This position will remain open until filled. Applications will be reviewed on a regular basis.
MINIMUMS: Any combination of education (above the high school level) and/or experience equivalent to six (6) years in fields utilizing the knowledge, skills and abilities listed above and associated with such positions as information technology engineer, programmer, database administrator, technical analyst, technician, or programmer analyst. SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: All employees may be expected to work hours in excess of their normally scheduled hours in response to short-term department needs and/or City-wide emergencies. Must be available to work evenings, weekends, holidays, and overtime when required to meet operational needs. Position may require two (2) years of progressive professional experience in the advertised job role; such required experience will be listed in the requisition that announces the vacancy. Position may require two or more Professional Industry Certifications specific to the work to be performed and maintain currency of those, or successor, certifications; such required certifications will be listed in the requisition that announces the vacancy.
DMV Transcript: Not Required
CDL: Not Required
DOT History: Not Required
CPS Check: Not Required
Physical: Not Required
Respirator: Not Required
Polygraph Review: Not Required
Psychological Screening: Not Required
Attachments Required: Resumes
• Incumbent will be a team player with experience with large enterprise n-tier systems with some of these systems including Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2/2016 and Microsoft SQL 2012 and above.
• Experience as a Windows System Engineer.
• Experience implementing web applications utilizing IIS
• MCSA or MCSE 2012/2016 certification, or equivalent industry certifications are highly preferred
***Alpha I Status: Positions within this class have been designated as Alpha I positions requiring employees to work during inclement weather, regardless of the City’s operational status.
VRS Contribution: All full-time employees are required to contribute 5% of annual salary toward their retirement account; in accordance with VRS retirement provisions. This will be handled through a pre-tax payroll deduction.