The City of Virginia Beach Information Technology (IT) Department is an award-winning organization committed to using technology to transform service delivery for residents, visitors and other stakeholders. We received the prestigious CIO 100 award in 2018 and 2019, and have been recognized three years in a row by the Center for Digital Government as #1 among "Digital Cities" in our population category. The IT Department is constantly evolving to meet citizens' expectations of transparency, accountability and accessibility in the digital age. Our software developers, engineers, analysts and other team members are re-imagining how to make citizen-government interactions more efficient while advancing the city's operational needs. As we lead the city's digital transformation, IT seeks candidates with backgrounds in information technology, data science, business, design thinking, art and more. Your unique insights and approach might just be what we are looking for.
GIS Technician II is responsible for developing, creating, and maintaining spatial information layers stored in the City’s municipal geographic information system (GIS); converting data from outside sources; analyzing GIS results; and producing reports, maps, web pages, and supporting documentation.
The successful candidate will:
Please Note: The application requires a sample of Cartographic work. Please make sure to attach a sample document when applying.
This position will remain open until filled. Applications will be reviewed on a regular basis
MINIMUMS: Education (above high school) and/or experience equivalent to four (4) years using Geographic Information Systems, providing the required knowledge, skills and abilities and associated with such positions as GIS/Mapping Technician, CADD/Drafting Technicians; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities. SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: All employees may be expected to work hours in excess of their normally scheduled hours in response to short-term department needs and/or City-wide emergencies.
DMV Transcript: Not Required
CDL: Not Required
DOT History: Not Required
CPS Check: Not Required
Physical: Not Required
Respirator: Not Required
Polygraph Review: Not Required
Psychological Screening: Not Required
Attachments Required: Resume, Samples of Cartographic work
• 2 years GIS Desktop and/or CADD software experience (Hexagon GeoMedia, Esri Arc-GIS, Q-GIS, AutoDesk Cadd, Bentley Microstation, etc.) to create and/or maintain various GIS layers such as property lines, easements, edge of pavement, building outlines, etc.
• Associate's degree or GIS / CADD certificate
• 1 year Tax / Cadastral mapping experience i.e. Tax Maps, Tax Parcels, Coordinate Geometry (COGO), Subdivision Plats, Construction Plans, Land Surveying
• Cartographic experience determining appropriate map content, projection, symbology, label placement, and scale, given the map’s intended purpose and audience
• GeoMedia Desktop or COGO experience
• Effective communication skills
• Well Organized: demonstrated ability to manage workloads; able to ensure all tasks are given the appropriate attention and are completed in a timely manner
***Alpha I Status: Positions within this class have been designated as Alpha I positions requiring employees to work during inclement weather, regardless of the City’s operational status.
VRS Contribution: All full-time employees are required to contribute 5% of annual salary toward their retirement account; in accordance with VRS retirement provisions. This will be handled through a pre-tax payroll deduction.