WHO WE ARE:
Marathon County in Northcentral Wisconsin is a great place to live, work, visit and conduct business. Our county government is highly regarded and contributes to a high quality of life by:
- ensuring public safety;
- protecting natural resources;
- preparing for emergency and disaster responses;
- protecting vulnerable populations;
- creating and maintaining a high quality infrastructure for transportation;
- providing education and fostering economic development; and
- using process improvement techniques to improve public services.
We are searching for candidates aspiring to be part of a team dedicated to providing residents with safe, enjoyable summer aquatic experiences. We serve three outdoor municipal pools including Kaiser, Memorial, and Schulenburg, as well Marathon Park's interactive Splash Pad in the Wausau Area. If you are a passionate, energized individual who enjoys aquatics, one of the positions listed below may be perfectly suited for you.
Candidates will use this application to apply for any of the positions described below.
**The season begins in early June and runs approximately 11 weeks, ending in mid-August.**
**Employees will work approximately 40 hours per week, including weekends.**
**Minimum 18 years of age required for Pool Director, Assistant Pool Director, and Pool Supervisor positions.**.
LIFEGUARD: Lifeguards and monitors water quality. Position requires current Lifeguard certification in accordance with WI DHS 172.04-(27).
HEAD LIFEGUARD: Acts as the Pool Supervisor in their absence, assists in the supervision of assigned personnel, reviews work, assists in evaluating performance, monitors work schedules, and reports disciplinary concerns. Lifeguards, leads in-service training, monitors water quality, and monitors concession and maintenance supplies. Position requires current Lifeguard certification in accordaqnce with WI DHS 172.04-(27).
SNACK BAR ATTENDANT / CASHIER: Prepares and vends all food and beverages on the menu according to approved standards and codes. Makes accurate change and inventories supplies. Collects entry fees and makes accurate change for patrons entering the facility. Some positions may require ability to operate a cash register.
SPLASH PAD ATTENDANT: Enforces age limits for access to the facility, monitors water quality, and responds to emergencies without direct supervision or support. Position requires past cashiering or similar experience.
POOL SUPERVISOR: Supervises assigned personnel, assigns and reviews work, evaluates performance, monitors work schedules, and reports disciplinary concerns. Lifeguards, supervises in-ervice training, monitors water quality, and orders concession and maintenance supplies. Position requires current Lifeguard certification in accordance with WI DHS 172.04-(27), and oe year of supervisory experience.
ASSISTANT POOL DIRECTOR: Acts as the Pool Director in his/her absence, assists in supervising personnel, reviews work, evaluates performance, recommends personnel actions, assists in collecting data related to pool operation, swimming lessons, maintenance and supplies; purchases concession supplies, operates a County vehicle, coordinates all in-service training, and assists in evaluating emergency rescue drills. Acts as a Pool Supervisor, including lifeguarding and swim instruction as needed. Position requires current Lifeguard certification in accordance with WI DHS 172.04-(27), a valid driver's license, and one year of supervisory experience in an aquatic or similar environment.
POOL DIRECTOR: Supervises assigned personnel, assigns and reviews work, evaluates performance, establishes work schedules, and recommends personnel actions. Inspects sites, purchases concession supplies, operates a County vehicle, prepares annual reports, facilitates requests for maintenance and supplies, and coordinatres emergency drills with local rescue. Acts as a Pool Supervisor including lifeguarding on site as needed. Position requires current lifeguard certification in accordance with WI DHS 172.04-(27), a valid driver's license, and 2 years of supervisory experience in an aquatic or similar environment.
WATER EXERCISE INSTRUCTOR: Lead a water exercise class that includes warm-up, cool down, and progressive shallow and deap water exercises in a safe and responsible manner. Position requires one year's experience leading water exercise or a nationally recognized certification in water exercise leadership.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED:
All employees may be expected to perform the following duties:
- Respond to emergencies and drills according to established emergency action plans.
- Enforce pool rules.
- Maintain a clean, safe swimming environment.
- Communicate with patrons and other staff regarding safety issues.
- Participate in in-service training.
- Assist with or teach swimming lessons.
- Prepare and maintain accurate records related to daily duties.
- Set up and take down deck amenities and pool safety equipment on a daily basis.
- Collect fees for pool entry or payment for concessions on a temporary or regular basis.
- Respond to staff or patron concerns.
- Maintain regular and predictable attendance and work extra hours if needed.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are desired in all of our employees:
- Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, and procedures to ensure a safe, clean environment.
- Ability to respond to emergencies calmly according to established emergency action plans.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Skill in active listening, giving full attention to what others are saying and take appropriate action.
- Ability to effectively communicate with park users and enforce pool rules.
- Ability to work outdoors in adverse weather conditions.
- Ability to follow safety rules.
- Skill in actively looking for ways to improve service to residents and meet their needs efficiently.
- Ability to contribute to a positive work culture that fosters excellent cusomter service and teamwork.
|Classification||1st year||2nd Year||3rd Year|
|Snack Bar Attendant/Cashier||$9.35||$9.85||$10.35|
|Splash Pad Attendant||$9.80||$10.30||$10.80|
|Assistant Pool Director||$15.75||$16.25||$16.75|
|Water Exercise Instructor||$13.80||$14.30||$14.80|
No benefits are provided for these seasonal positions.
The selection of the successful candidates may be made by assessment of experience and education, criminal record check, oral interview, review of references, and/or other appropriate, job-related selection procedures.
Marathon County will make arrangements to furnish appropriate auxiliary aids and services where necessary and reasonable to afford an individual with a disability the opportunity to participate in the recruitment process. Please notify the Employee Resources Department office or phone (715) 261-1451 to request special accommodations prior to the application deadline.
NOTICE TO APPLICANTS:
Wisconsin Statutes, Sections 19.36 (7), 64.09 (5), and 64.11 (7) require public employers to treat the following items as a public record: Each applicant’s application, records, recommendations and qualifications except as provided in Section 19.36 (7), Wis. Stats. that allows the identity of an applicant to remain confidential if the applicant requests in writing that the County not provide access to this information.
If you choose not to have this information become a public record, you must make such a request in writing to the Employee Resources Department. If you become a finalist for the position, your identity may be disclosed as required by law.