Fair Trade USA certification is growing in the United States and the organization is launching an exciting new initiative to expand the fair trade model to apply to dairies. This position will play a critical role in ensuring effectiveness of producer and worker support programs in the US and in building and piloting Fair Trade USA’s dairy program and determining how it can best provide value to program participants and the supply chains. Fair Trade USA's Producer Services team supports and develops Fair Trade supply chains, working with farmers and farmworkers to help them understand and implement Fair Trade standards. We seek a dynamic Producer Services Manager to manage the organization’s expansion into the U.S. dairy sector, supporting the adaptation of Fair Trade USA’s current field support services to dairying and implementing the program with U.S. dairies.
The Manager will work directly with dairies and dairy workers across the United States, providing trainings and sharing best practices related to the Fair Trade program. He or she will become an expert in implementing the fair trade model in the US, in particular in understanding US dairy perspectives, as well as challenges and issues faced by dairy farmers and workers and how the Fair Trade program can provide value to all stakeholders. The Manager will collaborate closely with Standards, Impact, and Certification teams at Fair Trade USA as the new dairy program is developed, helping to ensure consistent interpretation and implementation of standard requirements and bringing learnings from the field to inform program evolution.
This new position will focus heavily on dairies for the first year, as the dairy program is built and operationalized. Over time the position will evolve and will likely incorporate additional Producer Services responsibilities related to the broader agricultural program in the United States. The ideal candidate will be open to collaboratively evolving the role over time.
The role will include significant travel, primarily across the United States. The role will work in both English and Spanish, and fluency in both languages is essential.
Anticipated start date for the role is January 2020.
We are open to considering a remote employee for this position.
Support dairies and dairy workers to understand and implement the Fair Trade standards:
- Develop and maintain relationships with Fair Trade dairies (cooperatives and farms), understand and communicate challenges and opportunities with relevant internal teams.
- Work with prospective and certified dairies to help them understand and implement Fair Trade standards, navigate the certification process, and provide related training to dairy farmers and workers.
- Collaborate with colleagues to support cross-learning across agricultural producer services and to create opportunities for peer-to-peer learning amongst farmers and workers.
- Communicate clearly, directly, and regularly with dairy cooperatives, dairies, and dairy workers engaged in piloting the draft dairy program. Provide the support and information needed to conduct pilots and ultimately transition to a final standard.
Support broader Dairy program development and management:
- Collaborate with the Impact team to solicit and consolidate data and case studies related to the outcomes and impact associated with the Fair Trade standards, trainings, and Premium.
- Support the adaptation of the Agricultural Production Standard and associated policies and tools for applicability in the dairy sector in the United States. Includes supporting stakeholder engagement and helping to elevate the voice of dairy farmers and workers during consultation.
- Collaborate with Standards and Implementation Resources team to adapt and/or develop tools and clear training materials to facilitate interpretation and implementation of the standard (with emphasis on dairies).
- Ensure sales team has the dairy related information they need to grow Fair Trade dairy sales.
- Maintain accuracy of dairy contacts, product availability data, program implementation data, and compliance information in our database.
- Foster cross-departmental collaboration and relationships.
- Facilitate alignment of standards, certification, and producer support services within Fair Trade USA.
Contribute to the on-going growth, evolution and innovation of the Agriculture Program:
- Stay up-to-date with and participate in relevant external dairy initiatives, ensuring Fair Trade USA is an active player in the sector and recommending ways to continue to ensure our programs add value.
- Conduct research and other activities as necessary for growth and innovations in the agricultural program, with focus on the United States.
Skills, Experience, & Knowledge
- Four to six years of experience working in the U.S. agricultural and supply chain arena, preferably working with working with small producers or farmworkers in the realm of social compliance.
- Knowledge of and experience related to dairying and dairy supply chains strongly desired.
- Excellent communication, writing and presentation skills, including ability to communicate complex information to varying audiences in a simple and meaningful way.
- Demonstrated strength managing processes in a collaborative manner.
- Ability to work in a flexible, yet fast-paced and deadline-oriented environment, able to meet deadlines and share progress regularly.
- Positive outlook, diplomatic and adept at conflict resolution, with ability to work well with all levels of staff and a broad range of stakeholders and partners.
- Spanish language fluency required (verbal and written).
- A passion for Fair Trade USA’s mission, vision, and accomplishments.
Education & Training
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a related field such as agriculture, social responsibility, supply chain management, labor studies, or international development.
Technology & Software
- High degree of proficiency in MS Office applications including Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and internet applications.
- Please submit your resume and cover letter to the attention of Diego Rodriguez, Senior Manager Producer Services.