Seeking Passionate Instructional Leaders!
TNTP seeks summer Field Experience Managers. This position is based in Charlotte and is available in Summer 2019. You must be a current Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools employee and available to work full-time (approximately 40 hours a week) from mid-June to late July.
Who We Are
TNTP is a national nonprofit founded by teachers that believes our nation’s public schools can offer all children an excellent education. Today we’re a diverse team from a wide range of fields, united by a fierce commitment to helping school systems end educational inequality and achieve their goals for students. We work at every level of the public education system to attract and train talented teachers and school leaders, ensure rigorous and engaging classrooms, and create environments that prioritize great teaching and accelerate student learning.
TNTP and Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools partnered together to create the CMS Teaching Residency, a district-operated teacher pipeline and one option for alternative route licensure. The program is recruiting and training secondary math, secondary ELA, secondary science, and general elementary teachers for the 2019-2020 school year.
CMS Teaching Residency prepares candidates to achieve immediate, measurable success with their students in the fall. Our training approach focuses on foundational skills that we believe candidates must have to ensure a strong start to the school year as a new teacher. During their summer field experience and training, candidates rehearse the foundational skills, receive coaching, and practice them with students. Candidates must demonstrate proficiency in these skills in order to successfully complete summer field experience and training and become a teacher of record in the fall.
What You’ll Do
Field Experience Managers are strong leaders who manage a group of summer field experience and training staff toward ambitious goals and ensure candidates have meaningful teaching experiences in summer classrooms.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Support the management and training of summer field experience and training staff by co-facilitating staff trainings
- Manage a team of Teacher Development Coaches, including:
- Ensuring each staff member is fulfilling the responsibilities of their role and is motivating candidates to reach ambitious goals with students
- Meeting with staff to plan or practice sessions or coaching, and norm on candidate performance standards
- Ensuring that staff members keep accurate and timely records of candidate performance in the program’s data system
- Coordinating formal evaluations of candidate and staff performance
- Identify and act on trends in candidate performance by using data to identify trends in teacher performance and potential interventions/strategies for improving individual, group and cohort-wide performance
- Support the planning and smooth execution of the classroom experience component of summer field experience and training in coordination with district staff
- Establish and reinforce a culture of achievement that drives candidates to ensure that all students achieve at high levels through all interactions with candidates, summer program staff, and district staff
What You Bring
We are looking for amazing people who have diverse backgrounds and experiences, are inspired by our mission and are highly motivated to change children’s lives through education. You’ll be right at home here if you learn from failure and overcome adversity, cultivate strong relationships, and push yourself, your work and the people around you to the next level.
Field Experience Managers will demonstrate an ability to motivate and inspire adults, strong time management, organizational and communication skills, and a history of high expectations for, and success with, students and teachers.
- Current Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools employee (required)
- Minimum of three years of successful teaching experience in high-need subject areas (required)
- Strong familiarity and experience with the North Carolina Standard Course of Study (required)
- Experience with Teach Like a Champion techniques (highly preferred)
- Experience and comfort observing and providing direct feedback to teachers, both written and verbal, that leads to immediate teacher improvement (highly preferred)
- Demonstrated ability to motivate and inspire students and adults
- Demonstrated ability to connect with adult learners quickly and to build strong working and mentoring relationships
- Exceptional skills in time management, including the ability to balance multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Readiness to work non-standard hours over the course of the summer training (50+ hours per week)
- A positive outlook, flexibility, and sense of possibility in stressful situations
- Evidence of working successfully in teams or cooperative settings
- Strong analytical skills, including the ability to utilize quantitative and qualitative analysis to support decision-making.
What We Offer
TNTP offers a competitive hourly wage commensurate with experience in a similar position. Field Experience Managers’ hourly wage of $28 per hour, with a $28/hour training rate. TNTP offers a motivated team of dynamic colleagues, a collegial atmosphere that values professional development and valuable feedback, and the chance to impact the direction of a growing, mission-driven company that is committed to the success of our nation’s children. We also offer an inclusive environment where staff are encouraged to bring their whole selves to work each day.
Field Experience Managers can expect up to 40 hours of training over multiple days in May and June. Field Experience Managers are focused on preparation work in advance of summer field experience and training and a full-time commitment of 40 – 50+hours/week for the six weeks of summer field experience and training from mid-June to late July.
If you are interested in becoming a Field Experience Manager for the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools Teaching Residency please submit a resume and one-page cover letter that answers the following questions:
- Why do your experience and skills make you a strong candidate to manage new teacher coaches and instructors who are preparing teachers for their first years in high need classrooms?
- What do you believe are biggest challenges summer staff will face in preparing brand new teachers and how you will help your staff overcome these challenges during summer field experience and training?
Please submit your application online.
TNTP is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment. TNTP does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other personal characteristic protected by applicable law.
Life at TNTP: http://tntp.org/about-tntp/our-people