Use your communications expertise to help end educational inequality.
TNTP seeks a full-time Manager of Internal Communications for our Communications & Publications Department. This position is based in a home office anywhere in the U.S. and is available immediately. Travel for team and organizational meetings is required a few times a year.
Who We Are
TNTP is a national nonprofit founded by teachers that believes our nation’s public schools can offer all children an excellent education. Today we’re a diverse team from a wide range of fields, united by a fierce commitment to helping school systems end educational inequality and achieve their goals for students. We work at every level of the public education system to attract and train talented teachers and school leaders, ensure rigorous and engaging classrooms, and create environments that prioritize great teaching and accelerate student learning.
Our Communications & Publications Department works to position TNTP as the nation’s most authoritative voice on effective teaching and providing all students with the quality education they deserve. We are a collaborative, creative team leading TNTP's marketing, publications, and communications efforts. Our team is virtual, with some of us based in TNTP’s New York City office, and the rest working remotely from home offices across the country.
What You’ll Do
As Manager of Internal Communications, you will report to the Director of Internal Communications and work closely with teammates, the wider staff, and internal clients, including organizational leadership, to tell the story of our work. We’re looking for people who embrace a fast-moving organization and thrive on constant learning.
Specific responsibilities may include:
- Write and edit a daily internal blog for staff, working with contributors across the organization
- Spearhead efforts to keep staff informed about TNTP’s direction and invested in our vibrant culture
- Build relationships with staff and cultivate substantive discussions about diversity and inclusion
- Design campaigns to extend TNTP’s reputation as a great place to work
- Provide outstanding change management and communications support to TNTP’s central departments, like Talent & Culture, Technology, and Finance.
What You’ll Bring
We are looking for amazing people with diverse backgrounds and a genuine investment in improving public education, who are inspired by our mission and are highly motivated to change lives through education. Our ideal candidate will be equally comfortable proposing strategy and diving into the details. You’ll feel right at home here if you are a clear communicator, appreciate passionate debates about grammar and design, build strong relationships with people, and push the work and the people around you to the next level.
We expect our Manager to:
- Be an outstanding communicator. You love words. You are an expert writer and editor with a clear and compelling voice, a sensitive ear, and a knack for finding simplicity in complexity.
- Be a strong strategic thinker. You are a natural problem-solver who can efficiently assess the big picture, analyze the root causes, and define new ways forward. You are intellectually curious and thrive on working with multidisciplinary teams, often across multiple projects at once.
- Have a keen sensibility for telling a story with words and images. You seek opportunities for defining an authentic brand and understand how to use design strategically to amplify your message.
- Invest and influence others. You bring out the best in your team and inspire your colleagues. You are confident with clients, listen actively, and advise effectively.
- A minimum of four years of experience writing and editing with regular deadlines
- Experience with internal communications, managing an editorial calendar and working with authors preferred
- Demonstrated interest in and commitment to diversity and inclusion, organizational culture, or knowledge management preferred
- Comfort with technology; experience with wiki or other intranet platforms a plus
- Exceptional writing ability
- High emotional intelligence and strong listening skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Fluency/expertise in graphic design and associated tools (preferred)
- A willingness to work non-standard hours and/or occasional weekends
What We Offer
TNTP offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience with the potential for an annual performance-based bonus. We offer a comprehensive benefits plan, covering the majority of the employee premium for the base medical plan and subsidizing the majority of costs for a spouse/domestic partner and children. Other benefits include dental and vision plans, disability, life insurance, parenting benefits, flexible spending account options, generous vacation time, commuter benefits, referral bonuses, professional development, and a 403(b) plan with employer matching. We also offer an inclusive environment where staff are encouraged to bring their whole selves to work every day. TNTP may offer a relocation stipend to defray the cost of moving for this role, if applicable.
Please submit your resume and tailored cover letter online.
It’s in your best interest to apply as soon as possible. We recommend including a cover letter in your application addressing why you are interested in TNTP and how your experience has prepared you for this position.
TNTP is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment. TNTP does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other personal characteristic protected by applicable law.
Benefits and hiring process: http://tntp.org/join
Life at TNTP: http://tntp.org/about-tntp/our-people