TNTP seeks part-time Summer Effectiveness Coaches for the Dragons Teacher Middle Years (DTMY) program, a partnership program with Drexel University. This position is based in Philadelphia at the Young Scholars Charter School and is available in late Spring and Summer 2019.
Who We Are
TNTP is a national nonprofit founded by teachers that believes our nation’s public schools can offer all children an excellent education. Today we’re a diverse team from a wide range of fields, united by a fierce commitment to helping school systems end educational inequality and achieve their goals for students. We work at every level of the public education system to attract and train talented teachers and school leaders, ensure rigorous and engaging classrooms, and create environments that prioritize great teaching and accelerate student learning.
DTMY is a partnership founded by Drexel University, the Philadelphia School Partnership, and TNTP in addition to several local Philadelphia middle schools DTMY is an innovative undergraduate teacher preparation program that, in partnership with schools in Philadelphia, is committed to creating a new pipeline of effective teachers for urban Philadelphia middle schools drawn from Drexel's undergraduate student population. By allowing Drexel students to pursue both their content degree and teacher certification, and by aggressively recruiting the most promising and diverse undergraduates from across the university into the program, DTMY hopes to create an entirely new teacher pipeline for local area urban middle schools.
What You’ll Do
DTMY Summer Effectiveness Coaches will play a critical role in this effort by providing new teachers with feedback and coaching as they begin their experience in Philadelphia Middle schools over the course of summer school at Young Scholars. DTMY Effectiveness Coaches are experienced and successful teachers who develop Pre-Residents towards mastery of the foundational skills to ensure a strong start as a future colleague in Philadelphia schools.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Support, coach, and motivate a group of 5-8 Pre-Residents to reach ambitious goals with students and master foundational skills aligned to DTMY Performance Expectations.
- Observe and provide specific, actionable, on-the-spot feedback to individual Pre-Residents at least twice per week on their teaching performance in a summer school classroom.
- Plan and execute daily coaching experiences, including in-classroom interventions, that are based on performance data and offer opportunities for practice and immediate feedback.
- Plan and facilitate lesson planning and skill-building workshops which support Pre-Residents’ instructional planning and delivery skills.
- Evaluate Pre-Resident performance by assessing proficiency on the DTMY Teaching rubric and other performance measures, using data to identify trends in teacher performance and identifying the highest priority development areas on an individual and group level.
- Promote a growth mindset and analytical self-reflection in Pre-Residents to accelerate growth and student achievement.
- Model principles of professional collaboration and actively work to develop these in Pre-Residents.
- Build and develop Pre-Residents’ skills in creating safe and welcoming learning communities, providing cognitively demanding tasks, and facilitating culturally and linguistically sustaining practices.
- Collaborate with other DTMY Pre-Residency summer training team members to plan meaningful training activities and norm on resident performance standards.
- Grade and provide feedback on online coursework.
What You Bring
We are looking for candidates who have diverse backgrounds and experiences, are inspired by our mission and are highly motivated to change children’s lives through education. You’ll be right at home here if you are a constant learner who sees failure as an opportunity to improve, if you are a strong critical thinker with an unrelenting focus on educational equity who cultivates strong relationships, and pushes yourself, your work and the people around you to the next level.
We expect our Effectiveness Coaches to demonstrate a record of academic success working with students in high-needs schools, high expectations for students and teachers, and strong organizational and communication skills.
Ideal candidates will also have:
- Minimum two years of successful teaching experience in high-need subject areas (required), five years of successful teaching experience at the middle school level (highly preferred)
- Strong familiarity and experience with the Common Core State Standards (highly preferred)
- Experience with effective teaching techniques and strategies (required)
- Experience coaching teachers and leading adult learning (preferred)
- Demonstrated ability to motivate and inspire students and adults
- Experience and comfort observing and providing direct feedback to teachers, both written and verbal, that leads to immediate teacher improvement
- Demonstrated ability to connect with adult learners quickly and to build strong working and mentoring relationships
- Exceptional skills in time management, including the ability to balance multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Readiness to train throughout the spring and work throughout the summer over the course of the pre-service training (~35 hours per week)
- A positive outlook, flexibility, and solutions-oriented mindset in stressful situations
- Evidence of working successfully in teams or cooperative settings
- Strong analytical skills, including the ability to utilize quantitative and qualitative analysis to support decision-making and prioritize the highest leverage action step for new teachers.
What We Offer
TNTP offers a competitive hourly wage commensurate with experience in a similar position. Effectiveness Coaches will make $25 per hour. TNTP offers a motivated team of dynamic colleagues, a collegial atmosphere that values professional development and valuable feedback, and the chance to impact the direction of a growing, mission-driven company that is committed to the success of our nation’s children. We also offer an inclusive environment where staff are encouraged to bring their whole selves to work each day.
DTMY Effectiveness Coaches can expect to attend up to 20 hours of training over multiple days in the spring. Trainings will take place in the afternoons and evenings after school hours both virtually and in person. Coaches will complete about 5 hours of preparation work in advance of Pre-Residency and can expect a commitment of ~35 or more hours per week for the five weeks of Pre-Residency.
Summer Schedule Commitments:
Effectiveness Coaches must be willing to work from 8:00 am - 3:00 PM, Monday through Friday between the dates of June 24th - August 2nd, 2019. DTMY Pre-Residency Field Experience will occur at Young Scholars Charter School in Philadelphia.
To apply, please submit a resume outlining your certification areas, and one-page cover letter online that answers the following questions:
- Why do your experience and skills make you a strong candidate to mentor undergraduate students who are preparing to teach in Philadelphia middle schools after graduation?
- What do you believe to be the biggest challenges new teachers will face in their first year and how will you help them to overcome these challenges during Pre-Residency (summer training)?
TNTP is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment. TNTP does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other personal characteristic protected by applicable law.
Life at TNTP: http://tntp.org/about-tntp/our-people