Seeking Passionate Instructional Leaders!
TNTP seeks summer Pre-Service Training Instructors for Nevada Teacher Corps. This position is based in Las Vegas and is available in Spring 2019.
Who We Are
TNTP is a national nonprofit founded by teachers that believes our nation’s public schools can offer all children an excellent education. Today we’re a diverse team from a wide range of fields, united by a fierce commitment to helping school systems end educational inequality and achieve their goals for students. We work at every level of the public education system to attract and train talented teachers and school leaders, ensure rigorous and engaging classrooms, and create environments that prioritize great teaching and accelerate student learning.
TNTP’s Nevada Teacher Corps consists of aspiring teachers who are committed to improving the odds for kids in Nevada by raising student achievement. This is an exciting time for education in Nevada, and the Nevada Teacher Corps will play an important role in new state-wide reform efforts. This is the fourth Pre-Service Training for the Nevada Teacher Corps and we plan to work with 70-80 elementary teachers this summer.
Nevada Teacher Corps prepares Fellows to achieve immediate, measurable success with their students in the fall. Our training approach, called Fast Start, focuses on foundational skills that we believe Fellows must have to ensure a strong start to the school year as a new teacher. During their pre-service training, Fellows rehearse the foundational skills, receive coaching, and practice them with students. Fellows must demonstrate proficiency in these skills in order to successfully complete pre-service training and become a teacher of record in the fall.
What You’ll Do
Instructors lead skill-building sessions focused on the foundational skills of pre-service training, ensuring Fellows have high quality opportunities to both learn and practice the skills. In addition, Instructors design and facilitate sessions that support Fellows’ ability to plan and execute instruction. In order to do this effectively, instructors spend time in classrooms and collaborate with coach(s) to prepare NTC teachers.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Deeply internalize Teach Like a Champion and the principles of effective practice with the techniques
- Facilitate a particular strand of teacher development sessions, specializing in one or more of the following, and maintaining high levels of session rigor through skillful adult facilitation:
- Parent Investment Family Engagement (PIFE)
- Teach Like a Champion techniques
- Instructional planning
- Plan and facilitate daily sessions based on a specific strand for groups of Fellows, including:
- Expertly modeling techniques so that Fellows understand the essential components of the techniques and their impact on student learning
- Leading Fellows in analyzing the techniques
- Providing targeted, actionable feedback to Fellows on their practice of the techniques
- Maintaining high levels of session rigor through skillful facilitation
- Identify and communicate trends in Fellow performance by observing them in sessions and in the classroom
- In partnership with the Summer Site Manager and Teacher Development Coaches, keep a pulse on the state of teacher development and the student experience, using site-wide data to take proactive measures to address development trends
- Meet with PST team to plan meaningful training activities and align on Fellow performance standards
- Plan and facilitate experiences for groups of Fellows, that include designing and leading weekly lesson experiences that support Fellows’ acquisition of multiple skills
What You Bring
We are looking for amazing people who have diverse backgrounds and experiences, are inspired by our mission and are highly motivated to change children’s lives through education. You’ll be right at home here if you learn from failure and overcome adversity, cultivate strong relationships, and push yourself, your work and the people around you to the next level.
Instructors are experienced educators who demonstrate a track record of success working with students in high-need schools, hold high expectations for students and teachers, and have strong organizational and communication skills.
- Minimum two years of successful teaching experience in high-need areas by the start of PST (required)
- Strong familiarity and experience with the Common Core State Standards (highly preferred)
- Experience with Teach Like a Champion techniques (highly preferred)
- Demonstrated ability to motivate and inspire students and adults
- Experience and comfort providing direct, in-the-moment feedback to teachers, both written and verbal, that leads to immediate improvement
- Experience in facilitating effective training experiences for adult learners
- Demonstrated ability to connect with adult learners quickly and to build strong working relationships
- Exceptional skills in time management, including the ability to balance multiple priorities in a fast-paced work environment
- Readiness to work non-standard hours over the course of the pre-service training (40-50 hours per week)
- A positive outlook, flexibility, and sense of possibility in stressful situations
- Evidence of working successfully in teams or cooperative settings
- Strong analytical skills, including the ability to utilize quantitative and qualitative data to support decisions
What We Offer
TNTP offers a competitive hourly wage commensurate with experience in a similar position, and Pre-Service Training Instructors can expect to make $23 per hour TNTP offers a motivated team of dynamic colleagues, a collegial atmosphere that values professional development and valuable feedback, and the chance to impact the direction of a growing, mission-driven company that is committed to the success of our nation’s children. We also offer an inclusive environment where staff are encouraged to bring their whole selves to work daily.
Pre-Service Training Instructors can expect up to 40 hours of training over multiple days in the spring. Pre-Service Training Instructors are focused on preparation work in advance of pre-service training and a full-time commitment of 40 – 50+hours/week for the seven weeks of pre-service training.
If you are interested in becoming a Pre-Service Training Instructor for Nevada Teacher Corps, please submit a resume and one-page cover letter online that answers the following questions:
- Why do your experience and skills make you a strong candidate to mentor new teachers who are preparing for their first years in high need classrooms?
- What do you believe to be the biggest challenges that will beset the incoming Fellows in their first year and how you will help them to overcome these challenges during the sessions you will lead?
TNTP is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment. TNTP does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other personal characteristic protected by applicable law.
Life at TNTP: http://tntp.org/about-tntp/our-people