TNTP seeks a full-time Senior Manager - Instruction for the Clark County SEED Team. This position may be based in a home office anywhere in the U.S., with a preference for applicants based in Nevada, and is available immediately. If not based in Clark County, travel up to 40% annually is required.
Who We Are
TNTP is a national nonprofit founded by teachers that believes our nation’s public schools can offer all children an excellent education. Today we’re a diverse team from a wide range of fields, united by a fierce commitment to helping school systems end educational inequality and achieve their goals for students. We work at every level of the public education system to attract and train talented teachers and school leaders, ensure rigorous and engaging classrooms, and create environments that prioritize great teaching and accelerate student learning.
Staff on TNTP's Client Team work alongside teachers, school leaders, districts and states to help them achieve their goals for students. In Las Vegas, we are partnering with the Clark County School District to improve their in-house teacher preparation program with a specific focus on increasing the number of diverse and highly effective teachers for students in high-need subject areas. We will support CCSD in designing and implementing a rigorous program that will meet the needs of its highest need student populations.
What You’ll Do
The Senior Manager, Instruction will work with our clients in Las Vegas to design and implement a teacher pipeline and training program aimed to raise the quality of classroom instruction for the highest priority subject areas and student populations, including developing teachers into their most effective selves – through consulting with program leadership at the Clark County School District to develop innovative and practice based online and in-person coursework, supporting staff who coach program participants to meet ambitious performance goals, preparing and executing a high-quality teacher training program, and sustaining lasting change by ensuring district staff can manage all program components independently and improve the quality of program participants over time.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Support a team of teacher coaches
- Support the design and implementation of a high-quality teacher training program from pre-service training through early career support
- Develop innovative approaches to cohort-wide teacher development on a fast timeline
- Regularly collaborate with your colleagues and program partners to craft a long-term teacher development strategy that ensures new teachers are receiving actionable, differentiated professional development
- Work with district partners to ensure that program participants are receiving effective support
- Regularly track, measure, and communicate progress to district partners
What You Bring
We are looking for amazing people who have diverse backgrounds and experiences, are inspired by our mission and are highly motivated to change children’s lives through education. You’ll be right at home here if you learn from failure and overcome adversity, cultivate strong relationships, and push yourself, your work and the people around you to the next level.
We expect our Senior Managers to:
- Know great teaching when they see it. Whether you are watching a teacher deliver a lesson or looking at teacher performance data, you can identify where that teacher is effective, what she/he needs to do to improve, and how to develop her/him.
- Partner with education leaders. You’ll regularly interact with, and be expected to influence clients, motivating and guiding them to lead transformative change efforts.
- Develop teachers and teacher coaches at various points in their career. You track and analyze teacher data, but it’s what you do with it that really has an impact. Based on your data analysis and what you see in the classroom, you work with coaches to pilot innovative approaches to improving teacher performance under a quick timeline to build a cohort of highly effective teachers.
- Contribute to a thriving team. One of your greatest responsibilities and privileges will be to work alongside other TNTP and district staff to create a thriving and inclusive team.
- Be comfortable with the unknown. Ambiguity doesn’t scare you; just the opposite, you thrive on it. You will use your creative instincts and information from your staff to develop solutions in an ambiguous and fast-paced environment.
- A strong education background and instructional skill set with at least four years of school-based experience with a track record of improving student outcomes, preferably in a high-need school (required)
- Strong familiarity with the Common Core State Standards (required)
- Experience managing and developing other teachers – as a department chair, instructional coach, assistant principal, or other instructional lead (required)
- Ability to communicate direct feedback in a compelling way that inspires teachers or coaches to make immediate improvements to instruction to accelerate achievement
- The ability to critically assess challenges and identify effective solutions
- The ability to work effectively with others at all levels of an organization and to consistently display a high level of professionalism in all interactions
- Flexibility in an ambiguous, fast-paced environment of rapidly changing priorities and tight deadlines
What We Offer
TNTP offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience in a similar position with the potential for an annual performance based bonus. We offer a comprehensive benefits plan, covering the majority of the employee premium for the base medical plan and subsidizing the majority of costs for a spouse/domestic partner and children. Other benefits include dental and vision plans, disability, life insurance, parenting benefits, flexible spending account options, generous vacation time, commuter benefits, referral bonuses, professional development, and a 403(b) plan with employer matching. We also offer an inclusive environment where staff are encouraged to bring their whole selves to work every day. TNTP may offer a relocation stipend to defray the cost of moving for this role, if applicable.
Please submit your resume and tailored cover letter online.
It’s in your best interest to apply as soon as possible. We recommend including a cover letter in your application addressing why you are interested in TNTP and how your experience has prepared you for this position.
TNTP is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment. TNTP does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other personal characteristic protected by applicable law.
Benefits and hiring process: http://tntp.org/join
Life at TNTP: http://tntp.org/about-tntp/our-people