Title: Director, Investor Development & Relations Date: 2020
Practice Area: Capital Location: Flexible
Salary: Competitive (Base + Commission) Website: http://nextstreet.com/careers
Benefits: 20 days PTO, group insurance, 401(k) Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTE: applications will not be considered without a thoughtful and relevant cover letter.
Why Next Street?
Want to work in impact capital? Looking to apply your expertise in capital markets and relationship development in a mission-driven environment? Excited about building a business within a proven brand?
You have found your place – Next Street is a mission-driven, for-profit firm revolutionizing small business. We have audacious goals and we are looking for team members who can dream big with us. Next Street was founded in 2005 with the belief that small businesses are the engines of inclusive growth in underserved markets. This philosophy is at the core of everything that we do. Next Street revolutionizes how organizations – banks and other financial institutions (e.g., CDFIs, alternative lenders), foundations, corporations, government agencies, and business support centers – provide capital, customers and services to small businesses and entrepreneurs.
We serve as trusted advisors to some of the country’s most dynamic organizations. We create strategies and tools for public, private and social institutions to drive equitable small business growth across the US. We also directly serve hundreds of individual businesses every day through our own small business support centers.
We believe Next Street is a special place to work:
- We are a group of critical thinkers and problem solvers. We work hard to get our clients the right answer, because we are successful when our clients create more impact.
- We are motivated by mission. We keep small business at the heart of what we do, and agitate for equity and inclusion, day in and day out.
- We respect and challenge each other. Our teammates come from the best professional services and social sector organizations. We learn from each other constantly.
- We push ourselves to innovate. We must think creatively and expansively to solve tomorrow’s economic and community development challenges.
- We take pride in our work, strive for excellence and work with integrity. This is more than just a job to us.
Next Street is an anti-racist institution. Learn more about our commitment here: https://nextstreet.com/racial-equity/. We believe in a better future for small business. Join Us.
Why this role?
Next Street’s Capital practice connects impact-oriented investors with highly impactful investment opportunities in low-income communities across the US. Our Capital practice -- a recently launched business line within a 15-year old company -- is growing rapidly and looking for a leader to help take the business to the next level. This is a newly created position and is an unparalleled opportunity for a seasoned investor relations professional to work in a dynamic, entrepreneurial and mission-driven environment. The business is rapidly growing and has already successfully executed on several exciting deals including structuring a PPP funding program focused on minority and women-owned businesses and helping launch a lending program focused on independent truckers (mostly immigrants).
We are looking for a high-achieving Director to expand Next Street’s network of investors, place deals and serve as a public face of the Capital practice. We will give you ample responsibility from day one as you partner with the Head of Capital to shape the direction of the practice and guide its growth. Your day-to-day work will consist of (1) investor relations and development; (2) field building; and (3) firm management. Join us and you will get exposure to some of the most complex economic and community development finance challenges in the country, while working alongside an extraordinary team and accelerating your career.
Your work will consist of:
Investor Development and Relations
- Develop and execute capital placement strategy for Next Street Capital’s investable opportunities
- Cultivate and manage long-term relationships with potential investors, which may include institutional investors, CRA investors, foundations, wealth management platforms, high net worth individuals and family offices, and donor advised funds
- Test and refine capital markets offerings with investors to meet market demand
- Support deal execution teams with the development of marketing materials to be used with investors
- Contribute to thought leadership and represent Next Street Capital at strategic conferences and events
- Engage financial institutions, asset owners, investment advisors and other intermediaries to broaden mainstream knowledge of Next Street Capital
General Firm Management
- In partnership with the Head of Capital, set direction for the practice and identify opportunities to advance Next Street’s mission and strategic priorities
- Provide support with recruiting efforts for the practice, as needed
- Lead knowledge development and dissemination throughout the firm
- You have 8+ years of experience in impact investing, investment advisory, investment banking, community development finance, venture capital or private equity; Series 7 and 63 preferred
- You have demonstrated success in raising private capital
- You love client services and have an existing network of strategic relationships across relevant sectors and stakeholders, from government and nonprofits to financial institutions, foundations and high net-worth individuals
- You have superior communications skills and are able to influence and inspire others
- You have an uncanny ability to translate new, complicated concepts to unfamiliar and diverse audiences
- You are looking for opportunities to build a business and accelerate your career
- You are motivated by mission and want to spend your days doing fulfilling work
- You are committed to racial and economic justice
- You enjoy working with teams and believe diversity of thinking gets to better answers
- You are willing to challenge and be challenged, regardless of seniority
What we offer:
We want our team members to bring their best, true selves to work every day. We will offer you:
- Competitive salary and benefits – We know you work hard, and we want to reward you for it. We offer competitive salaries and generous benefits package (including 401k and paid parental leave) for mission-driven work.
- Generous paid time off – We want to make sure that you have time to recharge and to pursue your many passions. We give our team members 20 days of paid time off per year plus standard federal holidays.
- Mentorship and Sponsorship – You will have frequent access to our diverse and dynamic senior team, given that we are a small firm. They will be committed to your growth and will invest in mentoring you.
- Career development – We take growth seriously. We want to make sure that you have a plan to get where you want to go long term, whether at Next Street or business or graduate school. We give each team member an annual professional development stipend and provide ample coaching.
- Low travel model – We do not like to get on a plane every week and we do not want you to either. We travel when we need to every few weeks.
- Flexibility – It is important to us that you can work when and where you work best. We are flexible with employees to accommodate individual schedules and work preferences.
- Social events and office snacks – We admire and value our teammates. We plan social events throughout the year, so that you have to opportunity to connect outside of the office. We also make sure that you have the fuel you need to perform your best every day.
Next Street is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, or Vietnam era, or other eligible veteran status, or any other protected factor.