Liberty Science Center (LSC) is seeking a full-time IT Help Desk Technician to join our help desk support team to provide technical support and troubleshooting services to end-users who need assistance with their computer hardware or software, printers, and phones. This role focuses heavily on end-user problem management and system testing as well as troubleshooting LSC’s digitally enhanced exhibitions. It is the Help Desk Technician’s responsibility to support, educate, and technologically empower our employees at Liberty Science Center so that they can be successful in their jobs.
This position will report to the Associate Director of IT Operations.
What You’ll Bring
Resourceful and able to keep pace with shifting priorities, you will show a willingness to learn new tools on the job, be able to address inquiries across our technology environment and strive to provide friendly and proactive support to our growing LSC team. You will OWN the help desk support experience and work to raise the bar for our internal support expectations with every interaction.
A great support team member is someone who genuinely cares about people both personally and professionally and absolutely can't wait to help. You have the ability to "see around corners,” not just answering the question but anticipating the next question (and the one after that) and then quietly doing whatever it takes so that those questions never even need to be asked.
What You’ll Do
- Provide first-level contact and problem resolution for all users with hardware, software and application issues.
- Install, configure, backup, and provide general support of building staff computers, phones and printers.
- Replace hardware parts on iMac, MacBook Pro, desktop and laptop computers
- Create phone extensions and voice mailbox on IP-based phone system
- Create and deploy computer images based on computer models and software requirements
- Install Windows and Mac operating systems onto new hard drives
- User account creation, password resets and unlock accounts on end user access for Google email and Active Directory.
- Troubleshoot and address as many user-reported issues as expertise permits, using available tools.
- Escalate, route and redirect problems to supervisor and/or other management if necessary.
- Maintain communications with customers during the problem resolution process.
- Provide accurate and timely logging of problems and resolution in helpdesk ticketing system.
- Create and maintain documentation on a consistent basis.
- Maintain equipment inventory with proper labeling and documentation.
- Follow policies and procedures for the handling of support cases using SLA guidelines.
- Work as part of a team to support museum exhibits.
- Serve as a liaison between Liberty Science Center and external support vendors.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs)
- Thorough knowledge of common end user software: Microsoft, Apple, Adobe, web browsers, email, etc.
- Familiarity with variety of open source software such as Clonezilla and Trac. and a familiarity with a various mobile technologies (phones, tablets) and their respective operating systems.
- Experience supporting an environment of Windows and Mac computers.
- Ability to work with different types of software and applications, troubleshoot IT hardware, and test and fix network wiring.
- Experience with machine imaging practices and image configuration.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills for communicating with end users and upper management.
- Must be resourceful and be able to multitask in a high pressure environment.
- Must be able to interact positively and appropriately with a wide variety of users.
- Candidate should be resourceful in all aspects (time management, problem-solving, etc).
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality.
- Candidate should feel comfortable in taking initiative and taking direction from colleagues.
Preferred Qualifications & Experience
- A bachelor’s degree in Management Information Systems, Computer Science, Information Technology, and/or equivalent work experience is preferred.
- Two of more years of experience supporting PC hardware, op systems, and software is required.
- Experience with other operating systems, such as Apple’s operating system, is a plus.
This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities.
Classification and schedule
This is a full-time, non-exempt position which requires a flexible schedule to meet the demands of the business. The ideal candidate must be available to work weekends, holidays, and after-hours on a rotating schedule.
Little to no travel is required for this position
The salary range for this position is $50,000-$56,000.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee must be able to stand for long periods of time while working with staff. The ability to lift 30 pounds is required (servers, box office stations, etc.). Must be comfortable on ladders and lifts (20ft and above). The position requires visits to the museum floor (walking on concrete floors, climbing stairs, etc) and outdoors (walking on uneven ground, exposed to the elements), and tolerating noisy environments at times.
LSC’s Work Culture at a Glimpse
Liberty Science Center’s culture can best be described as a fun, creative, collaborative, and casual working environment.
Liberty Science Center is located in a beautiful waterfront state park in Jersey City, New Jersey. Not only is Jersey City easy to get to from any points in Northern NJ and Manhattan, but it also holds the title of the most diverse city in the United States. Employees have access to free parking, the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail, and the NJ Path train. In addition, all employees have access to an on-site café, a terrace with stunning NYC views, and on-site yoga.
Liberty Science Center provides generous benefits and perks for all eligible full-time employees, including:
- Medical, dental, and life insurance
- 403(b) basic retirement plan with an outstanding employer match
- Considerable paid time off, including annual leave, sick leave, and federal holidays
- Long-term disability coverage
- Flexible spending accounts (pre-tax income for eligible health and/or dependent care expenses)
- Commuter benefits (pre-tax income for parking or mass transit expenses)
- 25% discount for staff in the LSC store
- 25% discount in on-site cafeteria
- On-site yoga for $12/class
Please submit a resume and cover letter highlighting why you are a perfect fit for this position.
Liberty Science Center provides an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, genetics, gender identity, or veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the location where we operate.
LSC actively supports Americans with Disabilities Act and will consider reasonable accommodations.
To find out more, visit lsc.org or follow us on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter