Associated Recreation Council is recruiting for an Interim Preschool Director for our program at Carkeek Park. The Interim Preschool Director is responsible for creating and ensuring a safe, caring, and stimulating environment that incorporates a developmentally appropriate practice that meets the physical, social, and learning needs of preschool children (ages 3-5). Along with program planning, other responsibilities include administrative duties, doing outreach, and marketing efforts.
- Position is currently scheduled to run late June 2017 through August 2017
- Monday – Friday 30 hours per week (6 hours per day, exact schedule to be determined)
- Program time is 12:00pm-4:30pm
- Plans and implements a variety of developmentally appropriate early childhood activities which include experiences in music, art, dramatic play, fine motor skills, dance, science/nature, gross motor skills, and kindergarten readiness skills
- Provides activities and opportunities that encourage curiosity, exploration, and problem solving appropriate to the developmental levels and learning styles of the children
- Sets up and facilitates learning centers and areas to promote hands-on learning experiences
- Establishes and maintains a relationship of mutual trust and good communication with program participants, their families, community, schools, and center coordinator
- Establishes and implements strategies for classroom management and an inclusive learning environment for all participants, their families, community members and staff
- Supervises preschool teachers, assistant preschool teachers, and volunteers
- Oversees the preparation and serving of snack ensuring approved food handling
- Ensures a safe environment by maintaining orderly, clean, and appealing facilities; competent in emergency preparedness; removing known safety hazards; provide routine first aid in cases of minor injury and complete proper incident reporting
- Treats each child and family with dignity and respect
- Supervises, schedules, monitors and evaluates program staff
- Prepares reports and performs other administrative tasks including budget, lesson plans, snack menu, performance reviews, and attendance records
- Consults with Field Supervisor when difficult or unfamiliar situations arise
- Attends all required professional development classes and training
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Must be 21 years of age or older
- At least one year of management/supervisory experience including: record keeping, financial management, staff supervision, and family communication
- Minimum of three years experience working with preschool age children, including activity planning and curriculum development
- Strong written communication skill and an ability to communicate positively with staff, children, and families
- Successful completion of a background check
- Must provide proof of eligibility to work in the US and valid government issued ID
- Must sign up for direct deposit with either checking or savings account or Payroll Paycard
- Documentation of current Red Cross First-Aid/CPR certification, HIV/AIDS blood-borne pathogens education and training, a valid King County food handlers permit, Washington State driver’s license, have cleared a TB test; 30 hours STARS training or documentation of exemption
- Have completed a minimum of 30 or more college credits in early childhood education or child development. Up to 10 credits can be substituted with STARS approved early childhood classes or workshops.
Who May Apply: This position is open to all candidates that meet the minimum qualifications. ARC is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer and values diverse perspectives and life experiences. Applicants will be considered regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, or gender identity. ARC encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, veterans, and those with diverse life experiences.
Accommodations for people with disabilities are provided upon request. Please call (206) 615-0110 to request accommodations.
Position opened until filled. Applications are reviewed as soon as it is received.