Country Coordinator, Ethiopia
Vital Strategies, headquartered in New York City, is an international public health organization. Our programs strengthen public health systems and address the world’s leading causes of illness, injury and death. We currently work in 73 countries, supporting data-driven decision making in government, advancing evidence-based public health policies and mounting strategic communication campaigns. Vital Strategies’ priorities are driven by the greatest potential to improve and save lives. They include non-communicable disease prevention, cardiovascular health promotion, tobacco control, road safety, obesity prevention, epidemic prevention, overdose prevention, environmental health, vital statistics systems building and multidrug-resistant tuberculosis treatment research. Our programs are primarily concentrated in low- and middle-income countries in Africa, Latin America, Asia and the Pacific; the Overdose Prevention Program is our first initiative in the U.S. Please visit our website at www.vitalstrategies.org to find out more about our work.
Vital Strategies offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits. Vital welcomes and supports a diverse, inclusive work environment. As such, our commitment is to promote equal employment opportunities (EEO) for all applicants seeking employment.
The Bloomberg Philanthropies Data for Health Initiative aims to enhance public health data collection and use in low- and middle-income countries. The goal of the initiative is to ensure that a billion more people live in countries where data are used to steer public policy and program decisions. Under the Initiative, Vital Strategies, in partnership with other global public health organizations, is implementing a multi-year program to improve civil registration and vital statistics (CRVS) in numerous countries and municipalities in Africa, Latin America, Asia, and the Pacific. The Program involves interventions designed to improve the registration of births and deaths; improve the availability and quality of cause of death information for both facility- and home-based events; and improve the timeliness of available vital statistics information and reports.
The Country Coordinator for the CRVS component of the Initiative will be based in Ethiopia. S/he will work with staff at Vital Strategies, other Initiative in-country partner organizations and with staff in the Federal Ministry of Health, (the Ministry). The key role will be to develop and support the implementation of a program of activities that achieve objectives of the Initiative’s CRVS component.
The Country Coordinator will be responsible for ensuring that the implementation of Initiative-funded activities in Ethiopia is country-owned and country-driven, technically sound and sustainable as well as in line with current best practice standards, approved work plans, and budgets. S/he will ensure that Initiative activities are continuously monitored, and roadblocks are identified and reported in a timely manner. S/he will support monitoring, evaluation and reporting related to the Initiative.
The Country Coordinator will be embedded to the Ministry, under the co-supervision of Director Policy and Planning and a Data for Health Initiative Technical Advisor. S/he will interface between government agencies, D4H Initiative partners, and other critical CRVS stakeholders in the country. S/he will work with the Ministry, Immigration Nationality and Vital Events Agency (INVEA), The National Center of Statistics and other key CRVS stakeholders, under the co-supervision of the Ministry’s leadership and a Data for Health Initiative Technical Advisor.
The main tasks and deliverables of the Country Coordinator will be related to ensuring that implementation of Data for Health supported CRVS activities are country-driven; technically sound and sustainable; and in line with current best practice standards.
• Collaborate with Ethiopian government stakeholders to produce operational Data for Health CRVS improvement work plans with clear milestones, timelines and monitoring plan related to country CRVS strategy/roadmap.
• Project manage Data for Health supported CRVS interventions under supervision of Vital Strategies Technical Advisor to provide oversight of implementation of all Initiative activities in accordance with regulatory requirements and according to government’s aims, objectives, approved work plans, budgets and protocols
• Coordinate delivery of CRVS-related trainings, meetings and workshops
• Facilitate government-approved in-country visits by Initiative partners as required
• Coordinate procurements of materials and supplies for D4H supported activities
• Assist with preparation of government proposals to external development partners to support national rollout of VA (if applicable)
• Participate in CRVS Committee meetings, if and as directed; compile and share reports on meeting proceedings
• Participate and provide technical support to various working groups on CRVS improvement according to government priorities
• Prepare the Technical Working Group meetings and suggest agenda for inputs
• Monitor in-country D4H CRVS expenditures and ensure that all such expenditures are made in accordance with agreed work plans, budgets and protocols, obtaining all required approvals before expenditures are committed or made
• Communicate regularly with and report on Initiative progress to senior government officials, Vital Strategies Technical Advisor, and Initiative partners