Job Code/Title: T1053/ Administrative Dental Assistant
FLSA: Non- Exempt
BEST CONSIDERATION DATE: OPEN UNTIL FILLED
UNM Medical Group, Inc. (UNMMG) is the practice plan organization for physicians and other medical providers associated with the UNM Health Sciences Center. UNM Medical Group, Inc. is a New Mexico non-profit corporation and is an equal opportunity employer. UNMMG offers a competitive salary and an attractive benefit package which includes medical, dental, vision, and life insurance as well as tuition assistance, paid leave and 403b retirement for benefits eligible employees.
The Division of Dental Services is seeking a highly motivated individual to work as an Administrative Dental Assistant in our Residency clinic. The selected applicant will rotate through our other 2 dental sites and assist as needed. This individual will assist in the coordination of day to day patient administration, records management, sterilization of instruments, ordering/stocking dental supplies as needed. The successful candidate must have the ability to work effectively and efficiently in a nonoperating room setting and a large dental clinical setting, working with a large number of resident dentists and other staff members. Under limited supervision, may perform a wide variety of administrative support functions at UNMMG Ambulatory Dental Clinics included but not limited to direct service to patients either by phone or in person by scheduling appointments, receptionist duties, verifying demographics and insurance information, obtaining referral and prior authorizations with insurance carriers. Assist with concerns and complaints and serving as a liaison as needed with dentists and physicians, other providers and insurance companies. Balancing daily reports, deposits and money bags. The successful candidate must have the ability to work effectively and efficiently in a nonoperating room setting and a large dental clinical setting, working with a large number of resident dentists and other staff members
Must be x-ray and BLS/CPR certified. MUST HAVE DENTAL OR MEDICAL FRONT DESK EXPERIENCE
The following statements are intended to describe, in broad terms, the general functions and responsibility levels characteristic of positions assigned to this classification. They should not be viewed as an exhaustive list of the specific duties and prerequisites applicable to individual positions that have been so classified.
Under general supervision, performs a wide variety of administrative and/or dental clinic support functions in a UNMMG clinic including but not limited to direct service to patients either by phone or in person by conducting patient registration, verifying demographics, scheduling appointments, verifying insurance benefit/eligibility information, obtaining referral and prior authorizations with insurance carriers, performing patient check in/check out, and collecting co-pays. Assists in the performance of dental and radiography procedures; prepares and maintains dental equipment and supplies in accordance with established protocol, procedures, policies, and standards, and assists in the coordination of day-to-day patient administration, records management, and office support activities.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs clinic front desk duties, including but not limited to answer incoming telephone calls, patient check in/out, coordinating and facilitating accurate patient appointment scheduling through electronic or manual systems, scheduling follow-up appointments as ordered by providers, updating and ensuring accurate patient schedules and appointments in UNMMG computer systems.
- Performs registration duties which include obtaining and/or verifying accuracy of patient demographics, obtainingcopy of insurance card, and insurance information; updating and ensuring accurate information is put into UNMMG computer systems.
- Collects co-pays including upfront payments as well as self-pay payments; generates patient receipts and refers patients to financial counseling for funding options, if necessary. Conducts daily cash reconciliation of cash collections and receipts; following UNMMG established cash management policies and procedures.
- Generates charge document and other billing paperwork at time of patient’s clinic visit to ensure proper billing information is obtained and documented. Completes paperwork by provider, written documentation on clinic log, and DX and CPT code selection by provider on charge document and promptly submits to UNMMG centralized charge entry.
- Provides chairside assistance to dentists and/or dental hygienists in the performance of dental procedures, to include operative, preventive, periodontal, endodontic, prosthetic, surgical, implant, and anesthesia procedures in both the general dental office setting and hospital operating room.
- Prepares, sterilizes, organizes, and sets up dental equipment, ensures that all dental instruments are cleaned, dated, and processed according to established clinic guidelines and standards.
- Assists with direct patient care procedures and related tasks by taking vital signs, preparing charts, and assisting with medical examinations.
- Monitors and maintains dental equipment, such as patient delivery units, evacuator systems, compressors, digital and traditional radiographic equipment, sterilizers, electrosurge unit, implant unit and implant instrumentation, light curing units, model trimmer, vacuformer and all other dental lab equipment, in accordance with manufactures guidelines.
- Follows and maintains inventories of dental clinic supplies.
- Follows and maintains all relevant federal, state, and institutional regulations, guidelines, policies, and standards for the provision of dental clinical services.
- Maintains and assists with computerized data and charting, probing, and digital x-rays.
- Maintains dental laboratory slips and checks in lab cases.
- Assists with training of student dental assistants and staff.
- Assists with taking patient's blood pressure and documentation.
- Assists with medical stabilization devices; transfers patients from wheelchair using a Hoyer lift or gait belt.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Minimum Job Requirements
High school diploma or GED, Dental Assistant certificate from an accredited program, 2 years directly related experience, current Certified Dental Assistant to include radiology license required. Verification of education and licensure (if applicable) will be required if selected for hire.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Records maintenance skills.
- Skill in the use of computers and related software applications; ability to learn new software
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and prioritize work.
- Knowledge of four-handed dental techniques.
- Knowledge of dental assistant techniques, practices, and materials.
- Knowledge of health promotion and disease prevention.
- Demonstrated ability to work with private data and maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to maintain quality, safety, and/or infection control standards.
- Ability to operate, maintain, and troubleshoot a wide range of dental equipment in accordance with prescribed procedures and standards.
- Knowledge of radiation safety procedures, standards, and protocols.
- Ability to develop traditional and digital radiographs.
- Knowledge of sterile procedures.
- Ability to organize dental materials and projects.
- Interviewing skills.
- Knowledge of patient care charts and patient histories.
- Ability to review medical histories, observing and documenting observations.
- Ability to work with aggressive, difficult, or special need patients.
- Ability to perform dental radiology, coronal polishing, topical fluoride procedure, pit and fissure, and sealant applications.
- Knowledge in performing cardiopulmonary resuscitation and first aid.
- Ability in operating a computer and applicable software.
- Knowledge of Federal, State, and institutional regulations and guidelines for the provision of dental outpatient services.
- Knowledge of supplies, equipment, and/or services ordering and inventory control.
- Knowledge of the New Mexico Board of Dental Health Care Rules and New Mexico Health Care Act.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) Certification.
- Must be employment eligible as verified by the U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services Office of Inspector General (OIG) and the Government Services Administration (GSA).
- Must pass a pre-employment criminal background check.
- Fingerprinting, and subsequent clearance, is required.
- Must provide proof of varicella & MMR immunity or obtain vaccinations within 90 days of employment.
- Must obtain annual influenza vaccination.
- Must maintain dental assistant license.
- If this position is assigned to a clinical area, successful candidate will be required to complete a pre-placement medical evaluation/health screen. Required N-95 mask fitting, testing, vaccinations to include annual TST, Tdap, and Hepatitis B will be determined based on location and nature of position.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
- Work is performed in an interior medical/clinical environment.
- Work may require assisting with stand-up dentistry on patients unable to move from prone positions.
- Work involves repetitive hand and wrist movements.
- Work environment involves some exposure to hazards or physical risks, which require following basic safety precautions.
- Will work with blood or blood-borne pathogens and will require OSHA training.
- Extensive physical activity. Requires handling of objects up to 50 pounds or standing and/or walking for more than six (6) hours per day.