Job Code/Title: B7049/ Payroll Manager
OPEN UNTIL FILLED
UNM Medical Group, Inc. (UNMMG) is the practice plan organization for physicians and other medical providers associated with the UNM Health Sciences Center. UNM Medical Group, Inc. is a New Mexico non-profit corporation and is an equal opportunity employer. UNMMG offers a competitive salary and an attractive benefit package which includes medical, dental, vision, and life insurance as well as tuition assistance, paid leave and 403b retirement for benefits eligible employees.
The UNMMG Finance Department strives to produce excellent results for UNMMG employees while focusing on teamwork, collaboration and process improvement. We are seeking a customer service oriented team player that will provide leadership to the Payroll/Benefits staff. The successful candidate will have knowledge and experience in payroll and benefits functions, generally accepted accounting practices, experience in managing, developing and mentoring staff, and excellent communication skills.
The following statements are intended to describe, in broad terms, the general functions and responsibility levels characteristic of positions assigned to this classification. They should not be viewed as an exhaustive list of the specific duties and prerequisites applicable to individual positions that have been so classified.
Under the guidance of the Executive Director of Finance, oversees, manages, and coordinates all aspects of the organization's payroll and benefit functions, which services all regular and temporary staff, student, and special compensation arrangements. Directs implementation and administration of payroll and benefit regulations, policies, procedures, and is responsible for supervising staff. Responsible for the production and distribution of payroll and benefit reports to ensure compliance with audit requirements.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for all facets of daily operations of the payroll and benefit functions, ensuring compliance with state, and federal laws and regulations, and associated UNMMG policies.
- Supervises personnel, which includes work allocation, training, and problem resolution; evaluates performance and makes recommendations for personnel actions; motivates employees to achieve peak productivity and performance.
- Oversees, coordinates, and executes the production of all biweekly, monthly, special compensation, and the issuance of special checks on a daily basis.
- Ensures the accurate payment and reporting of all employee benefits, in compliance with the provision of tax laws, federal/state regulations, and associated policies.
- Manages the development, implementation and administration of payroll and benefits systems and procedures.
- Oversees the accuracy of bi-weekly, monthly, and special payroll cycles; serves as back-up to all payroll processing; and ensures quality controls of the data entry of all payroll records into the human resources system.
- Prepares and analyzes monthly and year end journal entries, accruals, and payroll reconciliations to the general ledger. Responsible for producing monthly financial reporting.
- Oversees, coordinates, and executes the planning, implementation and administration of programs to develop, adjust, and/or enhance payroll systems and procedures as required, due to changes in tax laws, regulations, and organizational pay policies/compensation initiatives.
- Plans and manages departmental workflow; creates payroll calendars and monthly processing schedule and communicates to management.
- Plans, coordinates, and oversees the production and distribution of all employee tax statements and notifications as required by law.
- Participates in development, implementation and maintenance of policies and procedures; develops and implements projects and programs in support of established goals.
- Interacts with university auditors and assists independent auditors with interim and year-end audits, as appropriate.
- Ensures the accurate calculation and payment/reporting of all federal/state payroll tax deposits. Reports include monthly state taxes, quarterly federal 941, state unemployment, state workers compensation, and annual W-2s, and other reports as needed.
- Partner with HR and benefits in aligning and implementing payroll and benefits systems.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Minimum Job Requirements
Bachelor's degree in related discipline with 5 years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified. Verification of education and licensure (if applicable) will be required if selected for hire.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
Skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities.
Ability to foster a cooperative work environment.
Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
Knowledge and understanding of all facets of payroll principles, methods, systems, and procedures.
Ability to utilize and manage automated payroll information systems.
Ability to make procedural decisions and judgments involving sensitive and confidential issues under stressful conditions.
Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications.
Ability to identify, analyze, and resolve complex, multifaceted payroll problems and developmental issues.
Knowledge of the payroll aspects of employee benefits policies, procedures, and reporting requirements.
Conditions of Employment
Must be employment eligible as verified by the U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services Office of Inspector General (OIG) and the Government Services Administration (GSA).
Must pass a pre-employment criminal background check.
Fingerprinting, and subsequent clearance, is required.
Must provide proof of varicella & MMR immunity or obtain vaccinations within 90 days of employment.
Must obtain annual influenza vaccination.
If this position is assigned to a clinical area, successful candidate will be required to complete a pre-placement medical evaluation/health screen. Required N-95 mask fitting, testing, vaccinations to include annual TST, Tdap, and Hepatitis B will be determined based on location and nature of position.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
No or very limited physical effort required.