Job Code/Title: T0025 / Medical Assistant 1
FLSA: Non- Exempt
OPEN UNTIL FILLED
UNM Medical Group, Inc. (UNMMG) is the practice plan organization for physicians and other medical providers associated with the UNM Health Sciences Center. UNM Medical Group, Inc. is a New Mexico non-profit corporation and is an equal opportunity employer. UNMMG offers a competitive salary and an attractive benefit package which includes medical, dental, vision, and life insurance as well as tuition assistance, paid leave and 403b retirement for benefits eligible employees.
The Administrative Medical Assistant Float pool position for Medical Group Clinic will serve in both an administrative front desk role, as well as a Medical Assistant for clinical back office duties, to include assisting with procedures, triaging, and quality initiative projects. The float pool AMA will be staffing in at all of our Medical Group Clinics.
The following statements are intended to describe, in broad terms, the general functions and responsibility levels characteristic of positions assigned to this classification. They should not be viewed as an exhaustive list of the specific duties and prerequisites applicable to individual positions that have been so classified.
Under direct supervision in an outpatient ambulatory clinical setting, collects patient data and/or medical history, registers patients, provides administrative services such as coordinating and scheduling appointments and verifying medical coverage, assists with direct patient care, and performs specialized medical procedures of a routine nature, as determined by established clinical protocol and established policies and procedures. This individual will cross train and provide support in other positions within the clinic. Must be a certified medical assistant.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conducts initial screening of patient, collects patient data and takes medical histories; enters data into computer, verifies accuracy of data, makes corrections when necessary. Promptly reports abnormal data to appropriate personnel.
- Assists with direct patient care procedures and related tasks by taking vital signs, preparing charts, and assisting with medical examinations.
- Performs routine specialized non-invasive or invasive treatment procedures, as required by the clinic specialty that may include oximetry, point of care testing, phlebotomy, EKG, or ear irrigation.
- May order and maintain stocks of medication and medical supplies as necessary.
- May administer approved medications (i.e., IM/SQ/Oral) according to 7 Rights of Medication Administration.
- Assists with patient transfers and admissions when/where needed.
- Practices safety, environmental, and/or infection control methods.
- Patient care assignment may include neonate, pediatric, adolescent, adult and geriatric age groups.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Minimum Job Requirements
High school diploma or GED, Medical Assistant Program Graduate Certificate. Current Registered or Certified Medical Assistant and current BLS certification. No experience required. Verification of education and licensure will be required if selected for hire.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Ability to maintain quality, safety, and/or infection control standards.
- Knowledge of patient evaluation and triage procedures.
- Knowledge of outpatient clinical administrative procedures.
- Ability to educate patients and/or families as to the nature of disease and to provide instruction on proper care and treatment.
- Interviewing skills.
- Knowledge of patient care charts and patient histories.
- Ability to perform standard clinical and patient care procedures according to established protocol.
- Ability to maintain calendars and schedule appointments.
Conditions of Employment
- Basic life support (BLS) Certification.
- Must be employment eligible as verified by the U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services Office of Inspector General (OIG) and the Government Services Administration (GSA).
- Must pass a pre-employment criminal background check.
- Fingerprinting, and subsequent clearance, is required.
- Must provide proof of varicella & MMR immunity or obtain vaccinations within 90 days of employment.
- Must obtain annual influenza vaccination.
- If this position is assigned to a clinical area, successful candidate will be required to complete a pre-placement medical evaluation/health screen. Required N-95 mask fitting, testing, vaccinations to include annual TST, Tdap, and Hepatitis B will be determined based on location and nature of position.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
- May require travel to work in facilities in the Albuquerque area
- Work is performed in an interior medical/clinical environment.
- Occasional risk exposure to unusual elements such as toxic chemicals, bio-hazardous materials requiring awareness of safety precautions. May include the use of protective equipment.
- May work with blood or blood-borne pathogens.
- Moderate physical activity. Exerting 20 to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 10 to 25 pounds of force frequently, and/or greater than negligible up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Physical demand requirements are in excess of those for light work.