Position Class Code/Title: S0013 / Staff RN-Dental Ambulatory Surgical Center
THIS IS AN ON-CALL POSITION
BEST CONSIDERATION DATE: OPEN UNTIL FILLED
UNM Medical Group, Inc. (UNMMG) is the practice plan organization for physicians and other medical providers associated with the UNM Health Sciences Center. UNM Medical Group, Inc. is a New Mexico non-profit corporation and is an equal opportunity employer. UNMMG offers a competitive salary and an attractive benefit package which includes medical, dental, vision, and life insurance as well as tuition assistance, paid leave and 403b retirement for benefits eligible employees.
The UNMMG Ambulatory Surgical Center is seeking an on-call Staff RN to provide nursing services in an outpatient operating room and recovery setting. This is an on-call position that will provide nursing coverage for the OR and recovery on an as-needed basis. This ASC is a AAAHC Accredited site which adheres to the highest standard of patient care and quality. This position will require gaining knowledge of regulatory standards in an OR setting and supporting these standards with providers and staff.
The following statements are intended to describe, in broad terms, the general functions and responsibility levels characteristic of positions assigned to this classification. They should not be viewed as an exhaustive list of the specific duties and prerequisites applicable to individual positions that have been so classified.
Provides safe, direct patient care utilizing established nursing processes in a dental ambulatory surgical center. RN ensures adherence to all standards, organizational policies, procedures and guidelines, and establishes goals and priorities in accordance with patient and staff needs and organizational objectives. Serves as a practice resource and educator for patients and staff. Patient care assignments may include all age groups. Management experience in a medical setting is preferred.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides specialized nursing services. Assesses patients' conditions and nursing needs; sets goals, plans and implements care within scope of medical protocols, assuring that all medical care is documented and medical records are accurate and complete.
- Reports and records pertinent observations regarding patients to medical staff, administers medications, and performs routine treatments, and assists physicians with tests and complex procedures and treatments.
- Serves as a liaison between physician and patients and other staff by assisting with educational needs, problem resolution and health management.
- Serves as a clinical resource, ensuring quality patient care that meets national and quality standards.
- Assists in the development of emergency measures for adverse developments in patients.
- Collaborates with medical providers, patient care staff and clinic management in the planning and implementation of patient and staff education.
- May participate in the orientation, training and evaluation of new staff or residents.
- Educates patient care staff in the use and maintenance of new equipment, supplies and instruments; coordinates in-service training; promotes continuous improvement of workplace safety and environmental practices.
- May process data and generate reports, assist in the reception and discharge areas as required, and handle patient calls.
- Performs other related duties and responsibilities as required or assigned.
- Interacts with clinic staff, managers, physicians and other patient care providers regarding documentation policies, procedures and regulations; obtains clarification of conflicting or non-specific documentation as well as when additional documentation or signatures are required.
- May help establish internal and external outreach programs designed to improve health care outcomes and clinic visibility.
- Designs or participates in the creation of health education materials.
- Creates collaborative relationships with community and state agencies in an effort to maximize resources.
- Represents any/all UNMMG clinics at health fairs or community events providing information and services to promote the clinics to other professionals as well as the general public.
- Coordinate quality initiatives and activities and assist with the development of written standards and protocols.
- Serves as a resource and coach for Quality Assurance Projects in the Clinics.
- Serves as a resource and participates in any compliance issues or initiatives.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS
Associate degree in nursing with 5 years of nursing experience or 2 years nursing experience in a critical care area (Emergency Room, CV-ICU, Neuro-ICU, Life Flight, Pediatric PACU.) Licensed Registered Nurse in the State of New Mexico. Verification of education and licensure (if applicable) will be required if selected for hire.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of clinical protocol, procedures and standards
- Ability to provide operational guidance and leadership to technical staff in area of specialty
- Strong organizational and coordination skills.
- Ability to read, understand, follow and enforce safety procedures
- Demonstrated nursing, especially BLS and patient recovery.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively at all levels in a collaborative, customer service oriented, team environment.
- Ability to plan, implement and evaluate individual patient care programs.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Basic Life Support (BLS), Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS), and Pediatric Life Support (PALS) Certification. (Certifications to be obtained within 6 months of hire).
- Must be employment eligible as verified by the U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services Office of Inspector General (OIG) and the Government Services Administration (GSA).
- Must pass a pre-employment criminal background check.
- Fingerprinting, and subsequent clearance, is required.
- Must provide proof of varicella & MMR immunity or obtain vaccinations within 90 days of employment.
- Must obtain annual influenza vaccination.
- If this position is assigned to a clinical area, successful candidate will be required to complete a pre-placement medical evaluation/health screen. Required N-95 mask fitting, testing, vaccinations to include annual TST, Tdap, and Hepatitis B will be determined based on location and nature of position.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL EFFORT
- Will not be required to work federal holidays, weekends, or on call.
- Work is performed in an interior medical/clinical ASC environment, involving ASA 1, ASA 2 patients in all age populations.
- Will work with blood or blood-borne pathogens and will require OSHA training.
- Occasional risk exposure to unusual elements such as toxic chemicals, bio-hazardous materials requiring awareness of safety precautions. May include the use of protective equipment.
- Physical Demand requirements are in excess of those for light work.
- Moderate physical activity. Requires exerting 20 to 50 pounds of force occasionally, 10 to 25 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.