Position Class Code/Title: T1051 / Medical Assistant 3
BEST CONSIDERATION DATE: OPEN UNTIL FILLED
UNM Medical Group, Inc. (UNMMG) is the practice plan organization for physicians and other medical providers associated with the UNM Health Sciences Center. UNM Medical Group, Inc. is a New Mexico non-profit corporation and is an equal opportunity employer. UNMMG offers a competitive salary and an attractive benefit package which includes medical, dental, vision, and life insurance as well as tuition assistance, paid leave and 403b retirement for benefits eligible employees.
The Medical Assistant 3 Float pool position for Medical Group Clinic will serve in both an administrative front desk role, as well as a Medical Assistant for clinical back office duties, to include assisting with procedures, triaging, and quality initiative projects. The float pool Medical Assistant 3 will be staffing in at all of our Medical Group Clinics.
The following statements are intended to describe, in broad terms, the general functions and responsibility levels characteristic of positions assigned to this classification. They should not be viewed as an exhaustive list of the specific duties and prerequisites applicable to individual positions that have been so classified.
Under general supervision, performs a wide variety of administrative and clinical Medical Assistant functions in a UNMMG Ambulatory Clinic including but not limited to direct service to patients either by phone or in person by conducting patient registration, verifying demographics, scheduling appointments, verifying insurance benefit/eligibility information, obtaining referral and prior authorizations with insurance carriers, performing patient check in/check out, and collecting co-pays. Collects patient data and/or medical history and performs routine Medical Assistant functions
Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs clinic front desk duties, including but not limited to, answering incoming telephone calls, patient check in/out, coordinating and facilitating patient appointment scheduling through electronic or manual systems.
- Performs registration duties which include obtaining, verifying, and updating patient demographics and insurance information into electronic system/health record.
- Collects co-pays including upfront payments as well as self-pay down payments; generates patient receipts and refers patients to financial counseling for funding options, if necessary. Conducts daily cash reconciliation of cash collections and receipts following established cash management policies and procedures.
- Generates charge document and other billing paperwork at time of patient’s clinic visit to ensure proper billing information is obtained and documented. Completes paperwork by provider, written documentation on clinic log, and DX and CPT code selection by provider on charge document and promptly submits to centralized charge entry.
Medical Assistant Duties:
- Performs various clinical activities including patient triage/discharge, patient interviewing, phoning in prescriptions and assisting provider in procedural set up and chaperoning.
- Conducts initial screening of patient, collects patient data and takes medical histories; enters data into computer, verifies accuracy of data, makes corrections when necessary. Promptly reports abnormal data to appropriate personnel.
- Assists with direct patient care procedures and related tasks by taking vital signs, preparing charts, and assisting with medical examinations.
- Performs routine specialized non-invasive or invasive treatment procedures, as required by the clinic specialty that may include oximetry, point of care testing, phlebotomy, EKG, or ear irrigation.
- May order and maintain stocks of medication and medical supplies as necessary.
- May administer approved medications (i.e., IM/SQ/Oral) according to 7 Rights of Medication Administration.
- Educates and advises patients on specified medical issues within established parameters.
- Assists with patient transfers and admissions when/where needed.
- Practices safety, environmental, and/or infection control methods.
- Patient care assignment may include neonate, pediatric, adolescent, adult and geriatric age groups.
- Responsible for knowing when an Advance Beneficiary Notice (ABN) is needed on a Medicare patient and advising front desk staff when applicable.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Minimum Job Requirements
High school diploma or GED, Medical Assistant Program Graduate Certificate. Current Registered or Certified Medical Assistant and current BLS certification. 2 years directly related experience. May be required to obtain IV Certification dependent on work location. Verification of education and licensure (if applicable) will be required if selected for hire.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Records maintenance skills.
- Skill in the use of computers and related software applications; ability to learn new software
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and prioritize work.
- Knowledge of medical records, billing and/or coding
- Knowledge of HMO, PPO, Medicare, Medicaid, insurance plans
- Demonstrated ability to work with private data and maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to maintain quality, safety, and/or infection control standards.
- Knowledge of patient evaluation and triage procedures.
- Knowledge of outpatient clinical administrative procedures.
- Ability to educate patients and/or families as to the nature of disease and to provide instruction on proper care and treatment.
- Knowledge of patient care charts and patient histories.
- Ability to perform standard clinical and patient care procedures according to established protocol.
- Ability to maintain calendars and schedule appointments.
Conditions of Employment
- Must be employment eligible as verified by the U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services Office of Inspector General (OIG) and the Government Services Administration (GSA).
- Must pass a pre-employment criminal background check.
- Fingerprinting, and subsequent clearance, is required.
- Must provide proof of varicella & MMR immunity or obtain vaccinations within 90 days of employment.
- Must obtain annual influenza vaccination.
- If this position is assigned to a clinical area, successful candidate will be required to complete a pre-placement medical evaluation/health screen. Required N-95 mask fitting, testing, vaccinations to include annual TST and Hepatitis will be determined based on location and nature of position.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
- Occasional risk exposure to unusual elements such as toxic chemicals, bio-hazardous materials requiring awareness of safety precautions. May include the use of protective equipment.
- May work with blood or blood-borne pathogens.
- Moderate physical activity. Exerting 20 to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 10 to 25 pounds of force frequently, and/or greater than negligible up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Physical demand requirements are in excess of those for light work.