USAID will announce a funding opportunity titled New Somalia Education Activity in August/September 2017. This five–year contract anticipated to start in early 2018 will focus on increasing equitable access to education for marginalized populations and will also enhance the abilities of education authorities’ to manage and lead the education sector in Somalia. The activities in Somalia aimed to strengthen education and human capacity will require improving the provision and use of quality education interventions, focused at the regional states with targeted investment at the national level. These efforts will be essential to addressing the educational needs of Somalia children, youth and adolescents.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The Deputy Chief of Party will be responsible for the technical oversight of the project and is specifically responsible for project implementation that relates to National, Regional states and community level service delivery. The DCOP reports directly to the COP and will take a leadership role in ensuring technical implementation and ensure the project meets stated goals and reporting requirements. S/he will coordinate with other technical leads of key stakeholders, other USG implementing partners, and GOS, particularly at the Regional state level. S/he should be knowledgeable of the dynamics of fragile states and conflict sensitive programing and project implementation and consortium service delivery approaches. S/he will assume the responsibilities of the COP in the absence of the COP.
The DCOP will be responsible for leading and overseeing the development and delivery of a high quality, innovative, cost effective and sustainable Education programme resulting in immediate and lasting change for children and build the capacity of the duty bearers. S/he will be responsible for provide technical leadership to the programme, documentation and dissemination of innovation and good practices and establishing, maintaining and expanding partner relations for the sector. This includes providing technical and program oversight in the design and day-to-day management of implementation to increase the demand for quality priority education services and community engagement activities. S/he will also ensure the technical and methodological soundness of activities and, in collaboration with the project team and partners, support the design of service delivery strategies, based on sound and up to date evidences. S/He will be based in Mogadishu but with frequent (approx. 50% travel) to the regional states in FGS and Somaliland. This position is contingent on the issuance of USAID funding and the selection of applicants is subject to USAID approval.
Required Background and Experience, Skills and Behaviors
- Master’s Degree in education or related field in social science is a requirement.
- Minimum of seven years’ experience with progressively increasing responsibility in managing and implementing complex Education and capacity building programming in fragile states with projects of similar size and scope.
- At least five years of proven experience in managing and supervising a technical team and in project design.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with government representatives, for-profit private sector entities, local community organizations, donors, consortium members and other stakeholders, at national and sub-national levels.
- Demonstrated hands-on experience in building Ministry of Education and devolved structures capacity in developing and realizing education strategic plans to provide quality Education services
- Demonstrated experience of supervising and mentoring technical staff
- Demonstrated in-depth understanding of the dynamics in Somalia Education system
- Familiarity with USAID or other USG administrative, management and reporting procedures and systems
- Proven track record managing a project team composed of several technical experts and fostering team work
- Strong management skills, leadership qualities, professional reputation, ability to create synergies where applicable, interpersonal skills, and written and oral presentation skills to fulfill the diverse technical and managerial requirements of the project description.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English (professional level proficiency) and Somali language is mandatory
- Qualified Somali nationals are encouraged to apply.