Position: Health & Nutrition Advisor
Location: Sana’a, Yemen (60 percent) & Field Support (40 percent)
Reports to: Program Director
About RI: Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in 20 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships, and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
The Health & Nutrition Advisor is responsible for developing health and Nutrition program strategy, activities in Yemen. He/she will be responsible for providing technical support, to health and Nutrition, providing technical, writing and budgetary inputs for new program design, ensuring program implantation quality and overseeing spending across all health and nutrition grants in the country in coordination with the Country Program Director, Area Managers and the other Technical Advisors.
Responsibilities and Duties:
Program & Grant Management (50%)
- Oversee country Health and Nutrition Program, ensuring the different program components are consistent; and in line with the health and nutrition strategy, donor priorities, and global standards.
- Lead the mobilization process of new health and nutrition awards with field teams.
- Develop and establish Log frame, work plans, spending plans, and M&E framework for new projects, program deliverables, and required activities.
- Support Health and Nutrition project start-up, providing technical guidance and ensure program team common understanding of projects objectives and projects activities
- Ensure donor requirements for data collection, reporting, and targets/achievements for health and nutrition grants are met.
- Review and assess program management tools such as the health facility reports, medical consumption reports, disease surveillance reports and CHW reports for quality and completeness, and make program adjustments as needed.
- Work closely with the Area Manager and program team to achieve program objectives and targets effectively and efficiently.
- Oversee and provide technical oversight in alignment with donor, RI and global standards on all in-kind and procured pharmaceuticals medical supplies, medical equipment, and nutrition items.
- In close coordination with Area Managers and program mitigate the risk of stock-outs through supply forecasting, budget planning, regular communication, and timely supply and purchase requests
- Ensure program targets are met using indicator / activity tracking table, and lead the program team through reflection and project adjustments for variances in targets.
- Prepare and submit weekly, monthly and annual data and reports to line manager and other relevant agencies.
Program Development and Representation (20%)
- Provide technical and budgetary input throughout the program development, design, implementation and evaluation phases
- Lead program design and budgeting process
- Represent RI at national level as the health and nutrition technical lead
- Identify, initiate, and lead on new potential health and nutrition funding opportunities (e.g. consortiums, geographical expansion, new calls for proposals)
- Participate in the Health and Nutrition Cluster coordination activities through active reporting and communication with field and national level focal points
Quality Assurance (30%)
- Build the capacity of national staffs through proper coaching and training
- Improve the quality of primary health care (PHC) services delivered at supported facilities throughout the country through priority setting, on-job training, and continuous monitoring and a strong supervisory system.
- Oversee the health and nutrition management capacities/structure, evaluating health team organogram and program management abilities on a routine basis
- Ensure the quality of data through proper entry, cleaning and regular checking and use the data for action on the site
- Develop recommendations, guidelines and formal SOPs for ensuring health and nutrition program quality across field locations and health and nutrition program sites as well as a monitoring system to ensure their use.
- Routinely review existing data collection capacities and help the team improve facility-level data collection and reporting
- Ensure diagnosis and treatment of patients is based on standard procedures (national and international guidelines)
- Ensure the community based activities such as EPI, nutrition screening, health education and defaulter tracing are done properly
- Actively participate in the identification and management of any disaster or epidemics
- Prepare weekly, monthly and annual work plans for grants
- Master’s Degree in Public Health or relevant qualifications
- Experience with project planning and grant management (multiple donors)
- Previous experience with managing health nutrition programming strongly recommended
- At least 5 years’ professional experience leading, managing, and implementing health-based programs in emergency setting.
- Senior management experience and/or community development; previous experience in area management.
- High level of skill in developing, implementing and training others in the tools needed for program cycle management monitoring and review
- Skilled in, and committed to, community participation/interaction, field visits and presence in program areas
- Proven financial, logistics and procurement management skills.
- Practical experience managing staff and programs in insecure locations
- Well-developed human resource management skills
- Proven commitment to humanitarian and accountability principals and knowledgeable of quality assurance systems
- Good communicator with proven diplomacy who has the ability and willingness to engage with all levels of staff and all types of stakeholders
- Fluency in English (spoken and written) required; Arabic language skills are highly advantageous;
We would like to share Relief International's Values with you:
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities. We value:
- Transparency and Accountability
- Agility and Innovation