|Position Location:||Africa - South Sudan|
JOB TITLE: Area Manager
REPORTS TO: Country Director
LOCATION: Based in Maban, Upper Nile, South Sudan
ABOUT RI: Relief International (RI) is a home to teams of humanitarian activist-professionals committed to transforming adversity into renewal for the world’s most vulnerable populations. By partnering with beneficiaries and communities on the front-lines, RI innovatively bridges the gap between immediate relief and long-term community development.
SCOPE OF WORK
The Area manager leads Relief International’s humanitarian assistance response efforts in Maban County, providing management guidance to ensure effective and efficient programming. As RI’s most senior representative in the field, the Area manager must come with a senior leadership profile with a proven track record in managing emergency and refugee programming. The successful candidate will be well organized and able to represent RI to partners including beneficiaries and donors. The Area manager must be able to handle sensitive, complex issues in a diplomatic way.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Develop a sound understanding of Relief International and its programs in Maban for both refugee and host community settings.
• Establish, develop, and maintain effective, professional relationships with local leaders, local authorities, UN agencies, international and local NGOs, and other relevant actors / stakeholders.
• Assume overall responsibility for the security and safety of program staff and assets within the area of operation.
• Consistently and proactively monitor/assess the safety and security of the area, promptly reporting concerns or incidents to the CD and DCDs and liaising with other external parties as required to maintain/enhance the security environment.
• Ensure that all staff is adequately trained in the use of all communications equipment.
• Establish and maintain a well-documented emergency response procedure that all staff can follow.
• Ensure compliance with Relief International’s safety and security SOPs.
• Ensure field concerns and challenges are brought to relevant stakeholders.
• In collaboration with technical coordinators, provide leadership and direction to the field program teams for the development and implementation of programs activities to ensure that program targets are met and communicate any challenges or difficulties encountered in implementation to the head office in a timely manner.
• Work with the support teams (HR, Finance, and Operations) to ensure that program teams receive optimal operational support for program implementation.
• Support development and maintenance of effective and efficient oversight, support, quality control and reporting systems and processes.
• Identify gaps in existing programs and work with the program managers and technical coordinators to develop innovative approaches and mechanisms to address them
• Supervise and provide direction to HR/Admin
• Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions. Resolve staff conflicts and concerns in a timely manner.
• Promote the team diversity, integration to the local context, continuous staff capacity building and training.
• Assist in development review /Implement/maintain the national staff personnel policy manual.
• Implement/maintain system for regular staff evaluation, and standard procedures for new position posting, interviewing, and applicant selection in line with Relief International and donor requirements.
• Promote and monitor staff care and well-being.
• Oversee all field level budget expenditures and ensure they are compliant with RI and donor regulations.
• Implement and maintain verifiable internal financial controls in line with the policies and procedures.
• In collaboration with technical coordinators, monitor budget spending in line with the spending plans and develop remedial plans where necessary to ensure budgets are optimally utilized.
• Support financial reporting, including monthly Budget vs Actual reviews
• Inform senior management of changing budget needs, and participate in budget development and revision processes
• Ensure smooth operation support to program activities in Maban County, including procurement, stock and asset management, vehicle operations, equipment maintenance and repair (including communications and computer equipment).
• Support and ensure operation team works effectively with other units to improve planning such as procurement and movements planning and a rational resource utilization.
• Undertake periodic system reviews of procurement, fleet, asset, warehouse/inventory, suppliers and vendor contracts and communication systems to identify areas for improvement and compliance with RI global systems.
• Review key operation performance indicators and take appropriate action support in achieving the set objectives.
Qualifications and Requirements:
The ideal candidate will be passionate, enthusiastic and driven, and have experience of working with national and expatriate team members to lead medium-size programs in complex and protracted emergency responses. A demonstrable commitment to national capacity strengthening is mandatory. S/he will have demonstrable experience of managing health programmes in fragile settings, have excellent experience in representation and program coordination including working closely with partners. Experience working in project management within an INGO in conflict-induced fragile settings is mandatory, with previous experience in South Sudan desirable.
Living Conditions/Environmental Conditions
This position is based in Maban, South Sudan with occasional travel to Juba and offers an opportunity to join a diverse and open workplace, with a team committed to inclusion, innovation, and personal development. We also offer:
How to Apply
Interested candidates are required to submit a detailed CV and cover letter by August 13th, 2020. Due to the critical nature of this assignment, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and candidates will be interviewed prior to the closing date that may appear on any of the job boards where this vacancy is posted. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Are you a returning applicant?
|Back to Search Results