Position: Humanitarian Program Manager
Location: Kabul, Afghanistan
Duration: 6 months with possibility of extension
Reports: Program Director
About RI: Relief International (RI) is a home to teams of humanitarian activist-professionals committed to transforming adversity into renewal for the world’s most vulnerable populations. By partnering with beneficiaries and communities on the front-lines, RI innovatively bridges the gap between immediate relief and long-term community development.
Position Summary: The Humanitarian Program Manager will support with key mobilization activities of three upcoming emergency projects. He/she will be available for program design questions, help develop and roll out necessary training materials, help support with recruitments and documentations, and accelerate key procurements. Candidate must possess previous experience implementing health programming.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Help with project start-up including procurement of PPE for health workers; mobilization of in-kind health supplies from UN agencies; recruitment and training of key staff on infection prevention control (IPC) and COVID-19 case management.
- Oversee integrated WASH & Health emergency activities, working closely with RI’s Deputy CD – Health Programs.
- Work with newly hired staff to plan for deployment to targeted provincial hospitals, screening areas, and provide targeted surge support/capacity based on health facility gaps
- Ensure mobilization of key activities and engagement with departments to ensure proper procurement planning and recruitment
- Develop M&E and reporting plan for indicator & donor reporting requirements: Ensure field teams have adequate tools for reporting and are trained on data collection/reporting procedures.
- Conduct health facility gap analysis and/or criteria for health team deployment for COVID-19 surge based on qualitative consultations with key health actors, and data verification
- Represent RI together with Program Director at relevant forums, coordination meetings, and donors/partners
- Maintain active communication with relevant clusters within the UN system
- In collaboration with RI’s Program Director help cultivate and strengthen new and existing relations with health actors and donors.
Program Quality & Reporting
- Manage donor reporting requirements for humanitarian portfolio
- Lead the development of donor updates to ensure active communication on response activities
- Conduct program quality exercises and establish beneficiary feedback mechanisms, e.g. rapid health facility assessments, patient exit interviews, and/or focus group discussions with community members on service quality
- Manage and help facilitate budget reviews with relevant stakeholders (Program Managers and Finance) to monitor spending/implementation rates and proactively take grant revision procedures
- Identify gaps / needs in the current response (in addition to COVID-19 specific health gaps) and tailor needs assessments accordingly
- Actively communicate newly identified needs with leadership
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
This position demands a dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding and fast paced environment.
- University or Masters degree, with 5-7 years of experience working with an international NGO.
- Strong emergency response experience in health; clinical background preferred but not required.
- Previous experience supporting integrated/multi-sector emergency programs strongly preferred.
- Ability to prioritize and deal with competing demands.
- Experience with successful business development activities capturing public and/or private donor funding.
- Excellent strategic, analytical, systems thinking, and problem-solving skills, with capacity to see the big picture and ability to make sound judgment and decisions
- Able and willing to network with external stakeholders and represent RI with partners and donors
- Strong relations management abilities. Ability to relate to people at all levels internally and externally. Strategic in how you approach each relationship.
- Team leadership abilities
- Presentation and facilitation skills
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions oriented and results-oriented
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities. We value:
- Transparency and Accountability
- Agility and Innovation