Position: Hospital Program Team Leader- COVID Response
Duration: 6 Months (with possibility of extension)
Reports: Health & Nutrition Program Manager
Relief International is opening a 200-bed, COVID-19 response Severe Acute Respiratory Tract Infections Isolation and Treatment Centre (SARI ITC) in Ukhyia, Bangladesh. The hospital operations will require the oversight of an operation of 295 national staff, over a period of 6 months. Given the magnitude of the need, the plan is to set up the emergency response facility immediately. Staff safety is an absolute priority and strict adherence to infection control procedures will need to be undertaken to protect staff.
SCOPE OF WORK/RESPONSIBILITIES
Under direct supervision of the Health and Nutrition Program Manager, the Hospital Program Team Leader will be responsible for running the hospital on a day to day basis. S/he will ensure high-quality clinical services. S/he will monitor service quality, ensure that all staff are trained and well-supported, pharmaceuticals and other medical supplies are properly managed, and apply clinical-level data to national-level response efforts.
- Ensure that clinical activities and ambulance services are implemented and running smoothly, including pharmacy and laboratory services.
- Review clinical activities at the hospital on a continuous basis and ensure provision of services is in line with overall goals and objectives of the program.
- Participate actively in hospital assessments including verification of different reports in different departments of the hospital.
- Play a key supportive role during technical health facility supervision visits by senior management, donors and third-party monitoring teams.
- Inspect facilities and recommend building or equipment modifications to the Field Coordinator and Health Manager to ensure that activities are being implemented appropriately and as per the required hygiene and safety standards
Human Resource Management:
- In collaboration with the Health PM participate in recruitment, induction and training of medical personnel as per the activities highlighted in the program documents
- Orient new field staff members on personal health and safety issues as well as their specific assigned responsibilities
- Coordinate ambulance activities in the community and ensure all referred cases receive appropriate care.
- Ensure weekly staff meetings are conducted and address issues raised as well as provide feedback on the implementation of activities and other issues that will enable smooth running of activities
- Organize monthly meetings, including data review, with the hospital management.
- Prepare monthly hospital specific work plans and provide reports on status of implementation of activities.
- Participate in monthly BVA meetings and provide adequate and timely feedback on under-expenditures or over-expenditures on appropriate budget lines and suggest remedial measures.
Monitoring, supervision and reporting:
- Ensure proper data collection tools are in place at the health facility and shared out with relevant staff. Closely monitor and evaluate staff understanding of use of these tools and recommend trainings/capacity building mechanisms in order to improve the quality of data.
- Ensure timely collection of weekly and monthly data from the hospital, analyze and use the information to plan, monitor and manage the project, with reports on changes in trends provided to the PM on a weekly (disease surveillance data) and monthly (other epidemiological data) basis
- Drug management: Support the Pharmacist Supervisor to ensure that the health facility has up to date drug management tools which are in use in all service departments, proper recording of drug distribution at all levels including ensuring that regular inventories are conducted, and ensure proper storage according to recommended standards. Monitor rational use of drugs periodically in comparison with morbidities
- Monitor closely the morbidity and mortality trends together with all the other health indicators to ensure that prompt actions are taken
- Prepare activity reports on a regular basis to inform the Health Manager of the status of implementation of program activities. Assist in drafting donor sector reports periodically as required by the Health Manager.
- Attend meetings concerning overall health program issues as requested by the Health Manager
- Keep the Health Manager informed of all developments and issues through weekly situation reports.
- Monitoring the well-being of the staff and working with the PM to address issues as they arise
- Overall responsible for staff work plans, work and vacation schedules, and staff training/development activities
- Has significant budget authority to pre-approved limits and responsibility for budget development and compliance.
- Provides monthly monitoring of the Project's expenditure and undertakes and analyses the financial indicators with the support of the PM
- As requested by the Health Manager, liaise and coordinate with the Health Cluster to facilitate information sharing to enable smooth running of health services at the hospital.
The ideal candidate will be a medical professional with a background in public health and clinical experience in isolation wards and emergencies. Demonstrated experience setting up field hospitals and supervising a team with strict adherence to infection control is needed.
- Degree in Medical Sciences- Doctors, Nursing, or Public Health (MPH) degrees.
- Minimum of 5 years related program management experience in a humanitarian emergency setting;
- direct services experience and previous work in Health programming preferred.
- Experience in Asia desirable
- Strong leadership, management, planning, analytical, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Ability to live and work in stressful and insecure environment.
- Excellent initiator, able to manage multiple tasks
- Able to work under pressure and good at timely decision making.
- Competent in Microsoft Office, Word and Excel
- Knowledge and/or experience in conflict management, protection, or other related field;
- Excellent professional approach and strong team building skills.
- Strong coordination and representation skills and well versed in convincing and clarification of views and points.
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities. We value:
- Transparency and Accountability
- Agility and Innovation