Position: Program Director
Location: Kabul, Afghanistan
Duration: TBC Contract Duration
Reports: Country Director
About RI: Relief International (RI) is a home to teams of humanitarian activist-professionals committed to transforming adversity into renewal for the world’s most vulnerable populations. By partnering with beneficiaries and communities on the front-lines, RI innovatively bridges the gap between immediate relief and long-term community development.
Position Summary: The Program Director provide overall development and oversight of program work plans (interim and annual) and budgets based on expected program outputs and results with team members. He/she will manage partnerships with international organizations, local ministries and municipalities, and civil society organizations.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
Portfolio Oversight & Leadership
- Provide strategic direction and overall supervision and successful implementation of RI’s Afghanistan portfolio, which includes a blend of development and humanitarian programs.
- Manage a team of international and national Program Managers.
- Provide overall development and oversight of program work plans (interim and annual) and budgets based on expected program outputs and results with team members.
- Ensure timely mobilization of projects, provide monthly project/grant review and oversight, and provide strategic oversight throughout the entire project lifecycle.
- Liaise and consult with all donors, acting as the main representative and principal interlocutor for program-related issues.
- Manage partnerships with international organizations, local ministries and municipalities, and civil society organizations.
- Ensure sound administrative practices with regards to record keeping, compliance with donor regulations, communications, etc.
- Oversee Grants Unit, ensuring compliance with donor reporting requirements.
- Ensure regular, timely communication and provide updates to RI’s Regional Support Office on portfolio health and grant progress
- Manage recruitment of national and international staff and ensure that all internal administrative and HR policies and procedures are followed in accordance with established RI standard practices.
- Supervise and provide support to local and international consultants and staff hired to assist and work on grants within the Afghanistan portfolio.
- Monitor project implementation to determine the extent to which goals are being met; determine action to improve achievements.
- Lead high-quality project design incorporating project management standards and M&E methods, appropriate to scope, context and technical requirements of projects. Coordinate planning of activities across various projects from different sectors to ensure integration of program interventions and efficiency in implementation;
- Support the development of high quality proposals and budgets that are relevant and include input from key stakeholders (finance, operations, programs, partners, etc.). This may include leading needs assessments, compiling/editing of the technical narrative, incorporating feedback from a variety of stakeholders, writing budget narratives, drafting of required annexes, etc.
- Ensure overall audit compliance, financial transparency through supervision and direction of financial and administrative staff.
- Maintain a suitable image for RI in Afghanistan.
- Travel within Afghanistan to ensure the well performance and implementation of the program.
- Coordinate activities internally with other RI programs in Afghanistan.
- Represent RI at high level meetings.
- Work closely with grant counterparts in DC and Manila to ensure coordination and adherence to proposal timelines and requirements.
- Conduct field brainstorming meetings (e.g. co-facilitate program design and lessons learned meetings) and synthesize informational for technical proposals, competitive positioning, and strategic decision-making
- Conduct regular donor mapping as needed, collating cross-sector information management and drafting funding requests in coordination with the Program Director.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
This position demands a dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding and fast paced environment.
- University or Masters degree, with 5-7 years of experience working with an international NGO.
- Strong budget oversight / management experience. The candidate should be comfortable supporting with budget realignment and identifying the proper coding/classification of costs
- Ability to prioritize and deal with competing demands.
- Experience in project grants management, including project design, budget preparation, expenditure tracking, monitoring and evaluation, reporting, etc., preferably for projects funded by multiple public donors, including USAID.
- Experience with successful business development activities capturing public and/or private donor funding.
- Excellent strategic, analytical, systems thinking, and problem-solving skills, with capacity to see the big picture and ability to make sound judgment and decisions
- Able and willing to network with external stakeholders and represent RI with partners and donors
- Strong relations management abilities. Ability to relate to people at all levels internally and externally. Strategic in how you approach each relationship.
- Team leadership abilities
- Presentation and facilitation skills
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions oriented and results-oriented
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities. We value:
- Transparency and Accountability
- Agility and Innovation