Title: Grants Manager
Location: Sanaa and/or Aden, Yemen
Reports to: Deputy Country Director
Staff directly reporting to this post: Reporting and Communication Officer, Grants/Awards Coordinators
Relief International specializes in relief and development programs that benefit people in acute distress. A registered non-profit in the US, UK, France and Belgium, our work targets those fragile countries or communities that suffer from recurrent man-made or natural crises that impede human development. The people that we serve live in seventeen countries across the Middle East, Africa, and Asia where the debilitating effects of political instability, forced displacement, and natural disasters are pervasive. Often, RI is the only organization providing healthcare, education, logistics, energy, capacity building, economic development, sanitation, and many other forms of assistance to these highly vulnerable communities.
The Grants Manager helps ensure compliance with donor requirements at all stages of the project lifecycle and facilitates effective management of RI Yemen’s grants in coordination with other departments (e.g. Programs, Technical Units, Finance, Operations). This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring timely and quality reporting to donors, facilitating grant opening and closeout processes, advising on donor rules and regulations, coordinating proposal development processes, and capacity building of staff.
Responsibilities and Tasks
Grants Management & Compliance
- Advise program teams, support departments, and implementing partners on donor rules and regulations as well as RI’s internal requirements and actively promotes increased awareness of key compliance issues across the organization;
- Ensure the submission of high quality narrative reports to donors by reminding the program teams about upcoming deadlines and reviewing and editing reports in accordance with donor requirements and RI writing guide;
- Organize grant opening meetings with the participation of program and support departments to develop a common understanding of the programmatic, operational, and financial aspects of a new grant as well as knowledge of our contractual requirements;
- Organize grant closing meetings to facilitate a timely closeout of a grant, support full expenditure of the budget, and ensure that all contractual obligations will be met (e.g. final report, asset disposal);
- Organize monthly grant review meetings with representation from all relevant departments to review progress towards programmatic and financial targets (including BvA review), facilitate collective problem-solving to avoid delays in program implementation, and allow for early identification of modification requests;
- Coordinate the preparation of modification requests for donors, including proposal revision, budget realignment, and other changes, in compliance with donor guidelines;
- Liaise with the Middle East regional team on all grants management matters such as reviewing grant agreements, obtaining grant codes, requesting waivers and derogations, etc.;
- Maintain a comprehensive and up-to-date filing system on all aspects of grants management.
- Coordinate proposal development processes in country, including reviewing and improving draft proposals and concept notes, acting as the lead writer for some opportunities, and addressing feedback from the country management and regional team;
- Ensure that the entire proposal package adheres to donor guidelines and meets the selection criteria;
- Contribute to the development and implementation of the country fundraising strategy, including conducting donor mapping, researching donor priorities and interests, and identifying new funding opportunities;
- Build the capacity of RI staff on proposal development by sharing insights on how to produce winning proposals and conducting training donor specific guidelines and templates, etc.
- Lead on ensuring collecting, collating and compiling communication material on RI Yemen to input into RI Middle East Intranet, RI external communication and Donors’ Reports or Communications requirements etc;
- Supporting the Country Director and Deputy Country Director in donor relations and other relevant stakeholders when required;
- Contribute to strategic planning exercises and other mission program exercises.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Master's degree in a relevant field;
- At least 5 years of progressive experience in grants management and proposal development in international relief or development programs, including field experience;
- Excellent writing skills in English at a native-speaker level and demonstrated ability to write and edit reports and proposals under tight deadlines;
- Strong knowledge of the rules and regulations of major institutional donors such as US Government, ECHO, DFID and UN donors;
- Experience conducting capacity building activities and enthusiasm to share knowledge and information with others;
- Working knowledge of budget development and management;
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work effectively with colleagues in a multi-cultural setting;
- Ability to work in unstable security environments
- Ability to work independently, set priorities, and manage time efficiently;
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills, including ability to give effective feedback and to guide and mentor direct reports;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office;
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities. We value:
- Transparency and Accountability
- Agility and Innovation