Position: Deputy Country Director- Support
Location: Sana’a – Yemen
Reports to: Country Director
Duration: 12 months
Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in 18 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
Relief International includes the four corporate members of the RI Alliance: RI-US, RI-UK, MRCA/RIFrance and RI-Europe. Under our alliance agreement, we operate as a single, shared management structure.
This Senior Management Team position directly reports to the Yemen Country Director. This position requires a dedicated, experienced and highly motivated individual capable of living and working in a tough environment while maintaining a positive attitude, leading by example to ensure a healthy work environment.
This position will also require exceptional flexibility in job function to serve the needs of a new program in a complicated context.
The Deputy Country Director-Support is a senior leadership position within the Country Office team. S/he will develop support service strategy, structure and systems, implement effective systems and ways of working, and ensure the Country Office has adequate support structure and systems in place in order to enable program teams to deliver high quality program
The Deputy Country Director-Support is responsible for the support functions in country, including Finance, HR, Operations and ITC (Information technology and Communication)’s work, systems and quality assurance. S/he will manage and support the country support team to ensure that field support team are appropriately supported to provide on time high quality services to a growing program portfolio, nurture effective leaderships and foster support accountability and learning.
The Deputy Country Director-Support will also be responsible for coordinating and managing unexpected events, as well as supporting program needs as they arise.
ESSENTIAL POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
The Deputy Country Director-Support is responsible for the effective and efficient quality of support services delivery of the overall country program and its activities, in close coordination with the Area Managers, Deputy Country Director-Program and support teams at the Regional and Global offices, in accordance with Yemen country strategy and Relief International’s global strategy.
- Develop new initiatives to support the strategic direction of RI Yemen program, ensure inclusion of support functions strategic inputs to the development of the country strategy.
- Support the execution of decentralization strategy, ensure Area support structure has the capacity to provide on time quality support service to area program
- Ensure synergies between support units and program unit, effective planning, regular communication and anticipation of program needs.
- Provide overall guidance and direction to support units at country and area level to achieve agreed targets and long-term strategic objectives.
- Provide support inputs to project proposal development.
- Responsible for development of yearly master budget, country program budget including, cost monitoring, resource allocation and monitoring of country program spending.
- Responsible for development of country operation plan and objectives including, procurement plan, supply chain, fleet management, ensuring synergies between operation, finance, HR, security and program
- Responsible for management of country program structure, Organogram, human resource management.
- Responsible for ensuring compliance to RI internal procedure, guideline and donor/ audit recruitment.
- Responsible for development of new support functions specific technical SOPs, guidelines and tools.
- Lead RI Yemen effort to ensure cost efficiency and value for money.
- Develop data management system,
- Identify and evaluate the risks and possible threats associated with support activities and take appropriate action to control the risks, communicating and collaborating regularly with the CD, Operations Manager and Security Manager.
- Ensure effective management of the support units, finance, operation, HR and ITC, supporting them in their efforts to support implementation of programs in coordination with Area Managers and deputy country director program.
- Participate in the recruitment, selection, orientation and training of senior support staff.
- Guide overall support structure capacity building, identify capacity building needs for support units and support staff across country program.
- Ensure RI Yemen has consolidated capacity building plan for all national staff. Ensure capacity building plan is budgeted for.
- Ensure timely and quality staff performance management of directly managed staff, making sure all RI Yemen staff follows best practices in this regard
- Ensure proper communication between RI support units and program unit, making sure that the strategy, decisions and future endeavors are shared in a transparent manner
- In collaboration with the HR team, help address disciplinary, conflict and abuse issues within the program team
- In accordance with RI’s HR policy and in-line with RI’s staff care efforts, maintain a healthy work environment, with reasonable workloads and proper leaves. Work with the RHRM to assess and prevent risks of excessive stress and burnout in the workplace
- Attend meetings with donors and other stakeholder in coordination with CD
- Maintain effective communication with INGO, local authorities and other stakeholders in coordination with CD.
- Maintain effective communication with CD deputy country director- program, Area Managers and with RSO regarding country support departments as required;
- Perform other duties as needed.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
- This position demands a dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding and fast paced environment. Creativity, flexibility, strong work ethic and a sense of humor are highly valued.
- Master’s degree in a relevant Humanitarian/Development field or bachelor’s degree with commensurate work experience
- Minimum 5 years of professional senior program support experience in conflict settings; including.
- Solid background and knowledge of USAID, ECHO and UN Rules and Regulations;
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, public speaking, and strategic planning skills required;
- The RI Yemen Country Office fosters an environment of respect for all coworkers regardless of level of seniority. Capacity building of national staff is a core competency of every international position, and international staff will be evaluated on their ability to strengthen the skills and growth of more junior staff and institutional partners;
- Fluency in English (spoken and written) required; Arabic language skills are highly advantageous;
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities, deadlines, tasks efficiently;
- Excellent time management skills and resourcefulness with strong attention to detail.
- Excellent team management and communication skills
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities. We value:
- Transparency and Accountability
- Agility and Innovation