Position: Consortium Health Specialist
Location: Based in Erbil, with 50% travel to Baghdad and field locations
Reports to: Consortium Director
Relief International specializes in relief and development programs that benefit people in acute distress. A registered non-profit in the US, UK, France and Belgium, our work targets those fragile countries or communities that suffer from recurrent man-made or natural crises that impede human development. The people that we serve live in seventeen countries across the Middle East, Africa, and Asia where the debilitating effects of political instability, forced displacement, and natural disasters are pervasive. Often, RI is the only organization providing healthcare, education, logistics, energy, capacity building, economic development, sanitation, and many other forms of assistance to these highly vulnerable communities.
Pending funding, RI are seeking a qualified person for the role of Health Specialist. The consortium will consist of 5 organizations implementing health programming throughout Iraq; Anbar, Baghdad, Salahaldin, Kirkuk, Dohuk and Ninewa governorates.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Propose and develop, a sector-based strategy for consortium primary health programming implementation in accordance with RI’s policies and priorities.
- Ensure technical quality of health activities implemented through the consortium.
- Coordinate consortium activities to ensure communities receive equitable health services, based on humanitarian needs, avoiding duplication with other actors while covering gaps in healthcare.
- Contribute to project mobilization ensuring adequate technical oversight including but not limited to HR, procurement, workplans, assessments, and spend down plans
- Coordinate partner assessments and project monitoring by aligning technical tools and methodologies for common indicators and donor reporting
- Guide partners on technical approaches and corresponding guidelines for appropriate response to humanitarian health needs.(eg, Mobile Clinics, Static Clinics, Community Outreach)
- Ensure that all health programs are implemented respecting consortium donor, operational and technical frameworks, and partner work plans; help overcome any witnessed discrepancy.
- Ensure the relevance of programs are in line with population needs and based on humanitarian principles
- Regularly review partner monitoring data to ensure that the programs achieve the required results
- Coordinate with the Ministry of Health to ensure that work meets sustainability requirements and that established norms and standards are respected
- Develop the capacities of consortium agencies with techniques and new methodologies
- Advise partners in technical implementation of health programming, with specific focus on increasing the capacity of national NGO consortium members
Coordination, Technical Support and Operational Monitoring
- Convene monthly technical coordination meetings
- Manage partner 4Ws – Which partner is conducting; What health activity; What location; until When
- Ensure that resources available at RI, mission and consortia levels are used correctly in the management of the project cycle
- Ensure that the planning and monitoring timetable is consolidated / validated
- Approve the quality criteria of health programs proposed by the program managers
- Ensure that monitoring indicators for the project (donor’s, internal) are relevant and followed up
- Take part in the monthly review of programs (budgetary, operational, logistical etc)
- Provide support and advice to the logistical service for the purchase of specific materials for health activities
- Provide a technical and methodological support to program managers for the planning, implementation, and monitoring of activities
- Anticipate difficulties in health programming implementation relating and facilitate the resolution of problems
- Propose the reorientation of health activities according to changing context and indicators
Reporting / Communication / Representation
- Consolidation of health activity reports and supervise the preparation annexes linked to health activities for reports and/or financial donors
- Ensure that all reports are delivered on time and in the correct format
- In conjunction with the Consortium Director and relevant partners counterparts, establish and maintain a communication network and good relations with local/government authorities, donors representatives, UN agencies and other international agencies as relevant
- Ensure that RI is represented at all meetings or forums concerning health activities
- Represent the consortium when asked and/or delegated to do so
- Reply to headquarter requests regarding specific needs
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
This position demands a dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding and fast paced environment.
- Educated to degree level, with professional health qualification
- At least 5 years continuous practice in a similar advisory position
- Prior experience as a health program manager or technical advisor with an International NGO
- Experience in developing and implementing primary health programming
- Proficient in IT - Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
- Direct experience of organizing emergency/large scale recruitments
- Previous experience of working directly within a cluster based system and liaising with multiple clusters for engagement of program implementation
- Ability to prioritize and deal with competing demands.
- Previous experience of staff supervision and capacity building
- Fluent spoken and written English and Arabic
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills
- A team builder with excellent people skills; culturally sensitive and has the ability and interest to identify and work with a multicultural team
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities.
- Transparency and accountability
- Agility and innovation