Position: Health Consortium Director
Location: Iraq (Baghdad& Erbil) with frequent travel to the field.
Reports to: RI Country Director (with dotted line to the consortium steering committee
Relief International specializes in relief and development programs that benefit people in acute distress. A registered non-profit in the US, UK, France and Belgium, our work targets those fragile countries or communities that suffer from recurrent man-made or natural crises that impede human development. The people that we serve live in seventeen countries across the Middle East, Africa, and Asia where the debilitating effects of political instability, forced displacement, and natural disasters are pervasive. Often, RI is the only organization providing healthcare, education, logistics, energy, capacity building, economic development, sanitation, and many other forms of assistance to these highly vulnerable communities.
Pending funding, RI are seeking a qualified person for the role of Consortium Director. The consortium will consist of 5 organizations implementing health programming throughout Iraq; Anbar, Baghdad, Salahaldin, Kirkuk, Dohuk and Ninewa governorates.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
Strategic Planning and Project Leadership
- Lead the development and execution of a program-wide strategy to guide coordination and integrated programming
- Lead the development of detailed implementation plans, flowing from strategic work-plans, and ensure the delivery of the same
- Oversee the Consortium Management Team
- Arbitrate any dispute resolution between consortium partners as appropriate
- Have regular visits to the field sites, as well as meetings with the donor
- Work on contingency plans to allow continuation of the consortium humanitarian response, in case of context changes
Coordination and Representation
- Ensure systems, ToR, tools and procedures are in place for managing processes and response across different consortium members, and allow rapid assessment, decision and response to acute and urgent humanitarian needs
- Ensure strong internal communication with team members and provide managerial and programmatic oversight
- Ensure that coordination of actions is articulated as a structural mean to improve the timeliness, inclusiveness, transparency and connectedness of proposed action within existing coordination set-ups.
- Incorporate technical inputs from the Consortium Management Unit & Technical Working Group to maintain a high level of project quality and promote continual improvement of the consortium response.
- Lead external representation of the consortia with IHPF, Working Groups, UN agencies, other humanitarian actors and National Authorities
- Ensure the consortia actively coordinates with all necessary forums and stakeholders, to reduce on-going and future humanitarian needs, increase resilience and assist a durable recovery.
- Ensure that the consortia’s advocacy strategy aims at stimulating specific changes at policy level and addressing critical gaps in the current response
- Coordinate delivery of the project’s objectives and accountability to consortia partners and the donor, and ensure compliance with donor contractual requirements
- Safeguard the purpose of the program strategy and ensure the coherence of the project, making certain that the consortia moves in one direction
- Ensure that regular lessons learnt workshops are organized to improve the mechanism, and maintain a high level of project quality
- Ensure major risks and obstacles are identified and remedial actions taken with agreement of consortia partners
- Organize and chair monthly consortium partners meeting (Steering committee) throughout the project
- Conduct regular progress review meetings to ensure each consortia partners are following the implementation plans
- Ensure regular progress monitoring is taking place by the technical referent, and is documented.
- Conduct regular field monitoring of activities
- Oversee the overall programmatic, logistic and financial performance of the consortia, and ensure they are in line with the agreed project, and in compliance with RI’s requirements
- Ensure that beneficiaries are effectively targeted according to established vulnerability criteria.
- Integrate community approaches, gender sensitivity and capacity building into all activities as appropriate.
- Ensure proper financial management, procurement, administration and human resources needs of the program are conducted within the consortium policy and with the maximum benefit to the program.
- Oversee the design of effective M&E and IM systems for the consortium
- Prepares monthly reports to the consortium steering committee
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
This position demands a dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding and fast paced environment.
- Educated to degree level, with program management qualification.
- At least 5 years continuous practice in a similar management position
- Experience in implementing primary health care programming
- Proficient in IT - Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
- Direct experience of organizing / supporting emergency / large scale recruitments.
- INGO experience is strongly preferred.
- Ability to prioritize and deal with competing demands.
- Previous experience of staff supervision and capacity building / mentoring.
- Fluent spoken and written English, Arabic preferred.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal skills
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to gain support of different organization behind common goals
- A team builder with excellent people skills; culturally sensitive and has the ability and interest to identify and work with a multicultural team
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities.
- Transparency and accountability
- Agility and innovation