Position: Deputy Director for Operations
Location: Garowe, Somalia
Duration: 12 months
Reports to: Country Director
Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in 20 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships, and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
The RI Somalia program is anticipating significant program growth in the coming year. To help achieve a standard of operational excellence, RI is seeking a Deputy Director for Operations who will be responsible for operations and procurement, HR leadership, Office management and IR and staff Safety and Security and shall ensure full compliance of all mentioned units procedures with RI and donors rules and regulations, working closely with Finance and Compliance department.
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
Deputy Director for Operations will:
- Ensure policies, protocols and processes involving the above services are effectively developed, implemented, maintained, reviewed and updated.
- Covering support services and act as a main contact point for relevant services of external partners, consultants, contractors and businesses.
- Acts proactively to implement general guidance and supervision received from CD and provides efficient and integrated support service for the departments and offices.
- Help with organizational change and improvement by establishing more efficient day to day operations within Head Office.
- To be responsible for ensuring recommended HR policies and protocols are put in place, regularly updated and followed accurately.
- Oversee all human resource services/processes including recruitment, salary administration and compensation, performance review, training and development, ensuring compliance with human resource rules, regulations, procedures and standards of performance and ensuring that hiring managers actively seek to create diverse teams in terms of gender and geography.
- Lead the liaison with HR at HQ and RSO levels, as well as field offices and ensure robust processes and procedures are in place.
- Create and establish appropriate processes within the whole organization to comply with RI policies regarding leaves, records and absences.
- Lead the review of the staff handbook to ensure it is up to date, appropriate and a reference point for all employees, also compliant with local law.
- Establish and ‘champion’ an integrated Performance Management and Development program across the whole organization to monitor, measure and support staff to achieve the organization’s objectives.
- Plan personnel required for sub offices and projects.
- Promote and support a learning culture by empowering individuals and teams to identify critical learning needs and plan/provide easy access to learning opportunities to maintain personnel competency and flexibility.
- Train HR team across organization and make sure capacity building is an integrated part of the job.
- Foster a positive work environment, respectful of both men and women, and ensure that the highest standards of conduct are observed.
Operations and Procurement
- Lead and manage all procurements at all levels, working closely with procurement team.
- Ensure smooth and coordinated day to day operation of the office.
- Oversee the development, deployment and utilization of operation policies, procedures, and systems to deliver compliance with RI and donor requirements.
- Effectively manage contracts within the scope of the units and efficiently maintaining all recommended processes and procedures.
- Support visits, both internal and external.
- Lead the process of preparation of reports as required by RI.
- Work alongside the Heads of Department to establish and drive a system of improved planning and implementing procurements.
- Working with the Program Coordinator, ensure appropriate and timely activities are taking place.
- Support the Program Director and team in submission of timely, accurate and well written reports and other reporting requirements.
- Oversee procurements processes, documentation and payments.
- To manage Head Office (Mogadishu) and ensure an effective working environment § Support field management while maintaining effective oversight.
- Drive operational excellence to achieve optimal efficiency and cost-effectiveness in all functions and operations of programs.
- Work closely with finance and supervisors to ensure systems are in place and functioning effectively for budget development, management and realignment; cash management, financial planning, cash transfers, and staff effort allocation.
- Ensure recommendations related to operations are followed and take all necessary measures to address audit findings.
- Be the main point of contact for IT consultants.
Safety and Security
- Ensure security procedures are in place and being followed.
- Maintain close coordination and communication with the CD and liaison and on safety and security concerns and evolving issues that could adversely affect staff or operations.
- Ensure business continuity through an integrated risk management approach, including security, financial, operational and reputation risks by developing contingency plans and scenarios; and take ownership of the action plans.
- Keeps safety and security protocols updated and ensure all RI staff and volunteers receive the required trainings.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
- Has a proven track record of success in a relevant field
- A strong understanding of program development and operational management
- Experience of leadership and line management of a team and the development, monitoring and evaluation of effective work programs
- The ability to think strategically and proactively
- Must be comfortable operating at senior management level and interacting with other senior representatives (internal or external), partners and other stakeholders
- Expertise in all aspects of operational management, including planning, project management and problem solving
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organization skills
- Ability and track record of working as part of a busy team and working effectively under pressure to tight deadlines
- Accuracy and attention to detail
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities. We value:
- Transparency and Accountability
- Agility and Innovation