Civil Works Foreman
At Michels Canada, We Do That. Our company is passionate about our business, our customers and our talent! We are cultivating a culture of excellence and aspire to be best-in-class in the industry. Michels Canada is committed to supporting Canada’s prosperous future by constructing safe, reliable infrastructure solutions to serve the public’s energy, water and wastewater, and transportation needs. We care about doing what is best for our people, our customers, the communities in which we work and our country. We strive to provide our employees with meaningful and challenging work, and an engaging and collaborative environment in a fast paced setting.
What We Offer
- Competitive compensation
- A challenging and rewarding work environment
- An opportunity to be part of an exciting, growing business!
Your Opportunity with Michels Canada
Reporting to the Civil Superintendent, the Civil Works Foreman oversees activities of workers concerned with construction of shafts, pipe installation, build out of structures and any other topside civil ancillary works deemed necessary by the site Civil Superintendent and site Construction Manager. Critical to success is the ability to maintain a professional attitude, problem solve, and demonstrate teamwork.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Maintain and promote a strong safety culture for all employees, vendors, and customers and follow all safety policies, procedures and regulations. Identify and communicate workplace hazards and correct or seek assistance in correcting unsafe actions or conditions through daily shift meetings
- Participate in the development and review of Job Hazard Analysis specific to work being executed
- Work with field personnel, superintendents, and other foreman to ensure forward progress on the project, labour, and material needs to plan, coordinate, and execute daily manpower requirements for the current day and week, while managing overtime
- Participates in the development of the Field Work Package for construction for each phase of the work assigned by studying the specifications, IFC drawings and using best practices
- Prepares or reviews reports on progress, materials used and costs, and adjusts work schedules as indicated by reports specifically, ensuring accurate and timely completion of employees’ time sheets, ensuring accurate and timely updating of rotation schedules and ensuring that orientation and training records are fully completed
- Inspects work in progress to ensure that workmanship conforms to specifications and the adherence to construction schedules.
- Perform supervisory functions which include managing up to 10 employees
- Confers with supervisory and field engineering personnel and suppliers of tools and materials to resolve construction problems and improve construction methods
- Order and procurement of tools, supplies and materials to be delivered at specified times to conform to work schedules
- Provide training, support, and direction to employees to ensure understanding of construction activities as well as holding employees accountable through recognition & discipline
- Other duties as assigned
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- 5-7 years of civil construction experience as a qualified and competent tradesperson
- Previous field experience in excavation, earthworks, and underground utility construction
- Ability to read drawings, plans and blueprints
- Ability to communicate and report effectively
- Must possess a valid driver’s license for the type(s) of vehicles which may be driven, and an acceptable driving record
- Desired tickets include: Leadership for Safety Excellence, CSTS, Ground Disturbance for Supervisors, Standard First Aid, WHMIS, Confined Space, Flagger Training
We offer competitive total compensation, meaningful and challenging work, and an engaging and collaborative environment. For more information on our company, please visit our website at www.michelscanada.com. To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter on the Careers portion of our website.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Michels Canada is committed to creating a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture, as an equal opportunity employer we encourage applications from all qualified individuals.
Michels Canada is committed to supporting Canada’s prosperous future by constructing safe, reliable infrastructure solutions to serve the public’s energy, water and wastewater, and transportation needs. Michels Canada is headquartered in Nisku, Alberta, Canada, and serves many industries, including pipeline, HDD, tunneling, Direct Pipe, electrical power and communications.
Our capabilities span from relining deteriorating sewer and water mains and utility maintenance holes in expanding metropolitan areas, to building tunnels for wastewater treatment plants under the most densely populated regions of Canada. We construct reliable pipelines and underground river crossings for the critical growing energy sector. Michels is well equipped to mobilize equipment and personnel to projects in highly urban and very remote locations across Canada.
Michels delivery methods include bid-build, design-bid-build and public-private partnerships (P3). We are a preferred partner on large-scale joint ventures in multiple segments of our business. We care about doing what is best for our people, our customers, the communities in which we work and our country.