Health Safety & Environment
At Michels Canada, We Do That. Our company is passionate about our business, our customers and our talent! We are cultivating a culture of excellence and aspire to be best-in-class in the industry. Michels Canada is committed to supporting Canada’s prosperous future by constructing safe, reliable infrastructure solutions to serve the public’s energy, water and wastewater, and transportation needs. We care about doing what is best for our people, our customers, the communities in which we work and our country. We strive to provide our employees with meaningful and challenging work, and an engaging and collaborative environment in a fast paced setting.
What We Offer
- Competitive compensation
- A challenging and rewarding work environment
- An opportunity to be part of an exciting, growing business!
Your Opportunity with Michels Canada
Reporting directly to the Environmental Manager, the Environmental Lead is a field based position responsible for promoting, communicating, and over-seeing project environmental compliance through the sharing of information and training of project personnel. The person will be flexible, adaptable to varying customer expectations and will demonstrate the ability to manage multiple tasks. The Environmental Lead will conduct various activities under limited supervision.
We are looking for individuals to fill future vacancies for upcoming pipeline projects.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Maintain and promote a strong safety and environmental culture for all employees, vendors, and customers and follow all safety and environmental policies, procedures and regulations. Identify and communicate workplace environmental commitments and correct or seek assistance in correcting potential non-compliance actions or conditions
- Raise Environmental Awareness to all Michels’ stakeholders in the form of training, orientations, toolbox talks, or providing direct technical assistance
- Assist in identifying and implementing environmental mitigation measures to reduce the risk of an incident or as required following an incident
- Assist project staff or other HSE professionals in understanding regulatory and customer expectations
- Coordinate and respond to client representatives, as necessary, to resolve issues when performing project troubleshooting on environmental compliance concerns
- Complete, track, and distribute required Project Inspection, Orientations, Maintenance forms, and any additional environmental records and permits applicable
- Prepare daily, weekly, and monthly Environmental progress reports as required
- Assist in the development and implementation of site specific environmental plans, including: Environmental Management Plan; Waste Management Plan; Fugitive Dust Control Plan; Spill Prevention Plan; Hazardous Materials Business Plan; Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP); Spill Prevention and Control (SPC), Specific Watercourse Crossings and/or others
- Supervise and provide mentoring to junior environmental staff and/or designates
- Acquire relevant permits as required to complete construction activities
- Other duties as assigned
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- 2 year degree from a technical college with emphasis in environmental, natural sciences, or engineering, 5-10 years of Environmental or similar experience, or equivalent combination of both
- Experience and working knowledge of Provincial and Federal Environmental regulations in relations to pipeline installation
- Must possess a valid driver license for the type(s) of vehicles which may be driven and an acceptable driving record
- Ability to travel on short notice in response to any HSE needs
- Working Knowledge of Microsoft Computer Software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint)
- Bachelor of science degree in environmental science or natural resources program, engineering or similar specialty
- Registered Professional accreditation (R.P. Bio., P. Eng., P. Ag. and A.Sc.T., etc.) an asset.
- Participation in environmental training or certification program (Wetland, CESCL, FERC, etc.)
- Knowledge and/or experience with mapping software (ArcGIS, etc.)
We offer competitive total compensation, meaningful and challenging work, and an engaging and collaborative environment. For more information on our company, please visit our website at www.michelscanada.com. To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter on the Careers portion of our website.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Michels Canada is committed to creating a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture, as an equal opportunity employer we encourage applications from all qualified individuals.
Michels Canada is committed to supporting Canada’s prosperous future by constructing safe, reliable infrastructure solutions to serve the public’s energy, water and wastewater, and transportation needs. Michels Canada is headquartered in Nisku, Alberta, Canada, and serves many industries, including pipeline, HDD, tunneling, and Direct Pipe.
Our capabilities span from relining deteriorating sewer and water mains and utility maintenance holes in expanding metropolitan areas, to building tunnels for wastewater treatment plants under the most densely populated regions of Canada. We construct reliable pipelines and underground river crossings for the critical growing energy sector. Michels is well equipped to mobilize equipment and personnel to projects in highly urban and very remote locations across Canada. Michels delivery methods include bid-build, design-bid-build and public-private partnerships (P3). We are a preferred partner on large-scale joint ventures in multiple segments of our business.
We care about doing what is best for our people, our customers, the communities in which we work and our country.