JOB TITLE: Superintendent
REPORTS TO: Project Manager
LOCATION: North Vancouver, BC
HOURS: 12-hour days, 6 days on, 1 off (Monday to Saturday)
The Superintendent will direct activities of foreman concerned with tunneling construction projects by performing the following duties. Critical for success are the ability to maintain a professional attitude and demonstrate teamwork.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintain and promote a strong safety culture for all employees, vendors, and customers and follow all safety policies, procedures and regulations. Identify and communicate workplace hazards and correct or seek assistance in correcting unsafe actions or conditions.
- Responsible for quality and strict adherence to all safety standards. Conform to company policy.
- Directly supervise the field team. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organizations’ policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; providing feedback; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Develop and maintain good relationships with local union representation and adhere to agreements.
- Direct Foreman(s) to schedule work, crews, tools, subcontractors, supplies and equipment for efficiency and to minimize travel time. Work with the PE’s/PM to update schedule.
- Review production schedules along with work in progress and take corrective action in order to maintain profitability, adheres to the plans and specifications, maintains high standard of work and report work in progress promptly and accurately; approve pay sheets and daily field reports.
- Assist Project Managers, Project Engineers, Project Superintendent and Estimators by sharing innovative cost sharing ideas.
- Assist superintendent in training and mentoring direct reports. Hold them accountable for performance.
- Conduct on the job training and safety tailgate meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Water and Sewer Relevant Construction Experience (Opencut and/or Trenchless)
- High school diploma or equivalent, and 7-10 years of relevant experience, or equivalent combination.
- Competent with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license for the type(s) of vehicles which may be driven and an acceptable driving record as determined by the DOT Operations Director and Michels Legal Department.