JOB TITLE: Project Manager II
DEPARTMENT: Michels Canada (Microtunneling)
REPORTS TO: Operations Manager
The Project Manager II manages a phase of a large complex project or manage multiple medium sized projects equaling between $5M and $50M, ensuring profitable operations. Plan, direct, and coordinate activities of designated project to ensure that goals or objectives of project are accomplished within prescribed time frame and funding parameters by performing the following duties personally or through subordinate supervisors.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILTIES: An employee in this position must be able to successfully perform the essential duties and responsibilities listed below. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position. The below list reflects the general details necessary to describe the primary and essential functions of the position and shall not be construed as the only duties that may be assigned for the position.
- Maintain and promote a strong safety culture for all employees, vendors, and customers and follow all safety policies, procedures and regulations. Identify and communicate workplace hazards and correct or seek assistance in correcting unsafe actions or conditions.
- Directly supervise the project team. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; providing feedback; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Review project proposal or plan to fully understand the scope of the work and contract to determine time frame, funding limitations, procedures for accomplishing project, staffing requirements, and allotment of available resources to various phases of project, under general supervision.
- Proactively build and sustain relationships with clients and general/sub-contractors, both while on the job and through networking outside of work. Ensure we are proactively communicating with the client at all times.
- Manage project to ensure profitable and timely operations, exceeding budget and quality expectations.
- Responsible for contract management: initial conversations through final project close-out. Additionally once awarded/executed, serve as the point of contact for customers (internal and external) on contractual matters, ensuring timely review and reconciliation/approval of variances.
- In coordination with field leadership, coordinate activities of the project to ensure project progresses on schedule and within prescribed budget.
- Review status reports prepared by project personnel and modify schedules or plans as required.
- Prepare and/or reviews project reports for management, client, or others.
- Confer with project personnel to resolve problems and escalate as appropriate.
- Coordinate project activities with activities of government regulatory or other governmental agencies.
- Assist with estimating work as necessary. Review bid requirements thoroughly and ask follow-up questions as necessary ensuring all necessary information is captured during bid day.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 10-15 years of related construction experience
- Must possess a valid driver license for the type(s) of vehicles which may be driven and an acceptable driving record as determined by the DOT Operations Director and Michels Legal Department.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree in a related field
- Project Management Professional (PMP) Certificate, Professional Engineer (PE)Certificate
- Experience with: Primavera, HCSS, B2W, and Microsoft Project
- Michels experience
- Action Oriented
- Customer Focus
- Timely Decision Making
- Ethics and Values
- Interpersonal Savvy
- Managerial Courage
- Peer Relationships
- Problem Solving
- Drive for Results
- Developing Direct Reports and Others
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to work at a desk, and use hands to finger or handle.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally 25 + pounds with assistance.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: : The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will work primarily in a climate controlled environment with minimal safety/health hazard potential. One must work at a steady to fast pace, with frequent interruptions.
- The employee may occasionally be exposed to outdoor weather conditions, extreme heat and/or cold, and moderate noise.
- Travel required. Position requires extended travel. Extended meaning the travel may account for up to 100% of the time and/or limit the ability to return home during off time.