JOB TITLE: Project Superintendent
DEPARTMENT: Michels Canada (Microtunneling)
REPORTS TO: Assigned PM or General Superintendent
Project Superintendent is the main operations contact in the field, whose primary focus is construction execution. Manages multiple crews, directing activities of workers by performing the following duties. Critical for success are the ability to maintain a professional attitude and demonstrate teamwork and leadership. Strong communications skills are a must.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintain and promote a strong safety culture for all employees, vendors, and customers and follow all safety policies, procedures and regulations. Identify and communicate workplace hazards and correct or seek assistance in correcting unsafe actions or conditions.
- Responsible for quality and strict adherence to all safety standards. Conform to company policy.
- Directly supervise the field team. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; providing feedback; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Develop and maintain good relationships with local union representation and adhere to agreements.
- Oversee and assist all field operations to schedule work, crews, tools and equipment for efficiency and to minimize travel time. Work with PE’s/PM to update schedule.
- Review and coordinate production schedules along with work in progress and take corrective action in order to maintain profitability and report work in progress promptly and accurately; review and approve pay sheets and daily field reports.
- Assist Project Managers, Project Engineers, and Estimators to bid projects, including sharing innovative cost-saving ideas.
- Assist Project Managers and Project Engineers review and approve as-built information
- Assist Project Managers and Project Engineers plan material and resource availability accordingly. Schedule, coordinate, and manage subcontractors and ensure contractual obligations are met.
- Assist with assembly of contract close-out documentation.
- Train and mentor direct reports. Hold them accountable for performance.
- Support on-the-job training and safety tailgate meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent, 10-15 years of relevant experience (or as contract requires), or equivalent combination
- OSHA 30 or other safety training course
- Must possess a valid driver license for the type(s) of vehicles which may be driven and an acceptable driving record as determined by the DOT Operations Director and Michels Legal Department
- Competent with Microsoft Office Suite
- Action Oriented
- Customer Focus
- Timely Decision Making
- Ethics and Values
- Interpersonal Savvy
- Managerial Courage
- Peer Relationships
- Problem Solving
- Drive for Results
- Developing Direct Reports and Others
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- The employee is frequently required to talk or hear, stand, walk, reach with hands and arms; climb or balance, stoop, kneel and/or crouch and crawl.
- The employee must regularly lift, push, pull and/or move 25 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: : The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to work in wet, humid conditions, work near moving mechanical parts, and be exposed to fumes or airborne particles.
- The employee may regularly be exposed to outdoor weather conditions, extreme heat and/or cold, and moderate to loud noise.
- Travel required. Position may require extended travel. Extended meaning the travel may account for up to 100% of the time and/or limit the ability to return home during off time.